Sharing Lungs - Deftones Online Community

Would you say your first Deftones concert was your best Deftones concert?

Started by deftoner664, Dec 01, 2016, 01:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

deftoner664

Thoughts?

My first time seeing Deftones was back in 2004 in Pontiac, Michigan at Clutch Cargos.. I was like 15 at the time... This was obviously, back when Chi was still alive, and my Dad and I were front row right in front of him... It was surreal to say the least... it felt so different with Chi there live...This was back when Dredg was touring with them as an opening act... I've been a fan ever since. They played a lot of el cielo and the whole band was on point; Dino stealing the show, and rockin' hard as fuck on a pink tama snare.

But back to Deftones.. Chino was reserved and didn't talk much but the set list was amazing with some rarities like If Only tonight We Could Sleep, Subliminal cover which had an insane circle pit... and just a great balance of those rarer White Pony songs like Teenager and Street Carp along side of ATF songs like Rickets and Lhabia. This was a few shows I think after Chino was getting shocked from his Shure microphone which was mentioned in interviews back in 2004...

But ultimately the energy, the setlist and that ominous shoe-gazey vocal delivery from Chino was just unquestionably different than the past couple modern-day Deftones shows that I've seen in the past few years...

was your first show similar?

what elements from their performances do you miss that you no longer feel when you see them live?

cheers
Sharing Lungs member since Oct 07, 2005 to Present

kurtone

First time was at Red Rocks in 2001, it was a good show but I think the second time I saw them may have been the best just because of the vibe. It was at the Fillmore in Denver, December '03. Snow storm was rolling in that night, standing outside in the snow before doors opened, got in and my girlfriend at the time and I got a spot right up front. Before Deftones played she got picked to go to a special area closer to the stage they had set up for girls. The setlist was really kind of weird too, 7 words was toward the beginning of the set, like three or four songs in. We got to hear Can't Even Breathe and Deathblow, which I think was the second time out of like three or four times its ever been played, the lights during that song had some kaleidoscope effect I remember. And they closed with Nosebleed.
Another thing that stands out in my mind was the stage set up during that tour, Steph was more towards the back of the stage, like between Frank and Abe. And where he normally stood was some sort of vocal effect thing for Chino, and he also had one on the ramp at the front of the stage. He was crouching on it and controlling his own vocal effects during Mascara.

ANattyRat

I barely even remember my first Deftones show, haha. It was my first live concert ever since I saw Spice Girls when I was a kid, and for it to be Deftones, my favourite band...I think I was just so amazed that I barely absorbed it. I remember Coheed and Cambria was opening for them though, and I'd never heard of them before, but I fell in love with them right there. First time I saw them was 2010 though, so although I'd been a fan for a good while before that, I never got to see them play with Chi, or when they were at their 'peak' or moodiest, that many people see as their kind of golden age.

I think my favourite time seeing them was the second time, in 2011. They played Kimdracula, Cherry Waves, Hole in the Earth, and the snippet of Riviere they played before change. That's a lot of SNW songs for them, and they aren't 'rare' songs exactly, but they are in a way.

But honestly, it's hard to pick a favourite, I always have such an awesome time, and I can't put it down to just atmosphere, just setlist, etc. The last time I saw them, they played MX, one of my favourite songs of theirs, and they played some Gore songs, so that was special, but...I don't know, my favourite overall was the second time I saw them.

I remember Abe and Stef saying they're going to start switching up the setlist more drastically and stuff though, so hopefully when I see them next year, that'll be a new favourite because they play a bunch of different songs, assuming the other stuff is great too.

sooniletugo

I saw them in 2010 with Coheed and Cambria too. Saw them again in 2013 and 2016. First time probably still the best... All the Diamond Eyes songs were awesome and plenty old gems like Elite and Lotion. It was an exciting time for the band and Chino was in great shape.

I'm still a bit gutted I've never seen a SNW song.

snw9

I saw them for the first time ever August 2016 in Mississauga, Canada and it was phenomenal. Maybe after a few shows I can decide which one is really the best one.
Code: [Select]

BewareTheWater

Nah, the second time I saw em blew the first one outta the water. But maybe I'm biased because they played more of my favorite songs the second time. Both were great shows , though.

Incidentally , was anyone at the show in Bethlehem PA August 2nd ? Sands Bethlehem Event Center ? I'm trying to find footage of when they played " Prince " , because that was a real highlight for me.

pinkmaggit69

Saw them for the 1st time in Seattle on July 7th 1998.  It was my 18th birthday.  Chino was doing his squeals and jumping in the crowd.  I had never seen/heard anything like it.

Drinks won't stain this birth!

Hinojos

Sadly I've only been to two. Both in Lubbock Texas at an amphitheater.

The first time I saw them was May of 2014, and again last March.

There's two stages there, the larger amphitheater outdoors, and a smaller airplane-hangar-like building next to it.

The first concert was a festival, the main bands were performing outside the amphitheater (I'm definitely forgetting some) like Skillet, Hell Yeah, Killswitch Engage, Staind, Deftones, and the smaller bands were inside the building, that's also where all the merch was.

The second concert I went to recently, was only inside of the smaller building. No clue why it wasn't held outdoors with more room. Maybe not enough people since Lubbock isn't that big of a town, and the first one was a bigger festival, but oh well. I think there were one or two bands before Deftones, but I'm not sure because I was late. A friend took forever to free up and we live in Amarillo about two hours away.

Chino sounded much, MUCH better the second time around. His cleans were smooth and his screeches were at his best, but the energy levels weren't as high as the first time. In the building, it was very crowded, and you couldn't really move that much. I was planning to go to the front since I was being a pussy about it the first time (my fault for being late I suppose) but I couldn't get through at all. It was loud and clear, but the main thing this time around was to mainly listen, raise your hands and jump up and down bumping everyone around you.

Chino was still decent the first time, but the energy levels were through the roof. Chino was screaming, jumping in the crowd and doing his thing (didn't do that indoors), and everyone, and I mean EVERYONE was hype as fuck. There were some moshpits during the heavy songs, which ended when a more moderate song played, then started back up again. All the guys and the girls were jumping around and singing along, it was great.

So for me at least, the first one was an overall better experience, although the band did sound more refined the second time around. I'm still constantly looking for nearby dates, but the nearest places they come to somewhat frequently are 5-7 hours away.
My default picture is when they actually came to my hometown of Amarillo in May of 2010, but that was a few years before I listened to them sadly. I'm still somewhat of a new fan (very new compared to most of you, I started listening in 2011-2012). I just found the image on google and used it because it blew my mind that they actually came here lol.

laurapalmer

My first time seeing them was at Webster Hall in NYC in 2003. While a fond memory I have seen many of their shows since then and this was far from their tightest sounding/most energetic show

sing blue silver

Considering I got to hang out with the band during soundcheck and after the show, got some shit signed, Abe gave me a drum stick, a setlist signed by the whole band and it was my birthday... yeah. Every time after has been awesome too but I was a fan for a good 12 years before getting to see them (I live in butt fuck nowhere and was poor as fuck, drove 14 hours for my first Deftones show) so it was overwhelming to have grown up with a band and finally get to see them and have them be so hospitable and cool.

illthrowROCKS@U

First time I saw them was in 2010 for the BlackDiamondSkye concert. It was a great show, I love Deftones, Mastodon, and Alice in Chains, but as for it being my best Deftones show, the answer is easily no.

My second time I saw them, at the Sunset Cove Amphitheater in 2011 was probably the best. The setlist was great, the venue was probably the best venue I've ever seen any show in, and the weather was great. All around good time.

The fourth time I saw them at Ram's Head in Baltimore in 2012 was another great time. That was the tour with Bad Brains, and them playing Right Brigade with HR was excellent. It was also my only time seeing Riviere live.

The most recent time seeing them, my 9th time, at Pier 6 in Baltimore was pretty awesome, too. While I'm not a huge fan of the venue, they opened with Kimdracula and that is one of my favorite songs of theirs. It was the only time I've ever heard them play that song live. Acid Hologram was great, so was LMIRL. They also played WHTY?, which is one of my favorites from KNY, and Rickets which is one of my favorites from ATF.
9/26/10 - Patriot Center
5/22/11 - Sunset Cove Amphitheater
8/7/12 - Verizon Center
10/26/12 - Ram's Head Live
3/8/13 - House of Blues
10/8/13 - Baltimore Arena
7/31/15 - The Fillmore
8/8/15 - Susquehanna Bank Center
8/3/16 - Pier Six Pavillion
6/14/17 - MGM National Harbor
5/17/22 - The Anthem

Crazylegs

My first and only Deftones show was at my 18th birthday, was pretty stoked. But it doesn't stick out as a particularily special concert.

defTHE1s

Since my first concert was about to be in December '04 and at the end I couldn't assist, my first time was in February 3rd, 2007, and it easily is my best Deftones concert, due to some reasons:
Having Chi in the band on the 1st place, going to the show w/good friends and getting some cool merch, also they played in a not-so-big venue which made a very close and intimate atmosphere.
Also, regarding the setlist, my mind was blown when they played songs like Rickets, No Ordinary Love, One Weak and Boy's Republic among others and opening with that M83 song and playing then Feiticeira. I'm still very impressed.

The 2nd and 3rd would be maybe back in 2010, April if I'm not wrong at the Vive Latino. First time seeing them with Sergio and the band sounded really good, I got to be at the very front and seeing Chino in front of me during 7 Words; then a year later, also April when they were now playing DE's songs, they sounded very accurate and it was a very decent show.

I might add, the one from Sept 7th, 2014 was about to be one of the best and epic shows but since it was suspended after 5-6 songs it felt like it all suddendly ended.

So, 8 times having seen them leaves so good memories but as is very known, last shows were lacking some energy and setlist variety. Let's wait how it turns out to be on the next gigs, last time I saw them was on October 16th, '16 but since it was a festival (Knotfest) there wasn't much variety, only Kimdracula and the Gore songs they played. Also, that they didn't play (at last!) 7 Words, so, that's something at least to begin with.

Yes yes, Deftones, yes yes, heavy metal, yes yes, nü metal, yes yes, fucking queer, yes yes...

illthrowROCKS@U

Quote from: defTHE1s on Dec 07, 2016, 09:43 PM
So, 8 times having seen them leaves so good memories but as is very known, last shows were lacking some energy and setlist variety. Let's wait how it turns out to be on the next gigs, last time I saw them was on October 16th, '16 but since it was a festival (Knotfest) there wasn't much variety, only Kimdracula and the Gore songs they played. Also, that they didn't play (at last!) 7 Words, so, that's something at least to begin with.

I'm going to have to disagree with you here, friend. I saw them at a headlining show this tour, and their setlist was very good. Maybe they just didn't have as much time at Knotfest. I thought the energy at the particular show I went to was appropriate. Not as much, perhaps, as some of the other shows I've been to, but still great.
9/26/10 - Patriot Center
5/22/11 - Sunset Cove Amphitheater
8/7/12 - Verizon Center
10/26/12 - Ram's Head Live
3/8/13 - House of Blues
10/8/13 - Baltimore Arena
7/31/15 - The Fillmore
8/8/15 - Susquehanna Bank Center
8/3/16 - Pier Six Pavillion
6/14/17 - MGM National Harbor
5/17/22 - The Anthem

defTHE1s

Quote from: illthrowROCKS@U on Dec 08, 2016, 07:04 PM
Quote from: defTHE1s on Dec 07, 2016, 09:43 PM

I'm going to have to disagree with you here, friend. I saw them at a headlining show this tour, and their setlist was very good. Maybe they just didn't have as much time at Knotfest. I thought the energy at the particular show I went to was appropriate. Not as much, perhaps, as some of the other shows I've been to, but still great.
Yes, that's the main reason of the limited setlist, it was a festival with limited time (about 1h15min), that's why I'm hoping they return next year as headliners and with the new songs, or at least, I hope the use to make variations of the setlist and not to stick to just 1 or 2 sets for all the tour.

Yes yes, Deftones, yes yes, heavy metal, yes yes, nü metal, yes yes, fucking queer, yes yes...

nineteen

Saw them on the Adrenaline tour at Rock City Nottingham, in October 1997. Thing is, it's difficult to remember much now! Defo remember Chino wearing a Dearly Beheaded shirt and they played Teething after talking about how they were in The Crow. Also their merch was loads better back then.

Remember being absolutely blown away though but thought their set in February the following year was better on the ATF tour. Kerrang were there too so it made it a bit more special I guess.

Favourite show I'd have to say their set at London ULU. Just because it was so intimate.

therealdaebat

I saw Team Sleep before deftones. It was my 21st birthday and I had just moved across the state and had no friends so I took myself to my first concert. Show was amazing and it exposed me to Idiot Pilot which I became a big fan of. My first deftones show was whack b/c of my wife. She made us late to the show and we couldn't get good seats so it ended up being me jamming out way back on the lawn. Best show I've seen was at the Tabernacle in ATL on the KNY tour.  They should play way more small venues as this show was epic. So loud and not a bad seat in the house. Chino struggled as usual but it was still the best metal show I've seen. Saw them at another music fest last year and it was pretty terrible.
---------------------------------------------------------------
-DAEBAT

Dictated Not Read

http://reddit.com/r/deftones