Sharing Lungs - Deftones Online Community

Why I don't go to Deftones shows anyomore

Started by gotmyknife, Mar 11, 2017, 10:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Red Pill

Quote from: Inkblades on Apr 02, 2017, 09:54 PM
ROFFFFFFFFL @ the game Fight Club. This kid is priceless.

Like, seriously...who gives props to the Fight Club video game?
You are a retard, Kid! Regardless of your interest in the subject matter of the game, he doesn't need associate himself with fight club! Fred Durst has been character in three separate games!

N0S3BLEED976

Don't feed the trolls, people.

Oh and Geometric Headress has some of the coolest, most original lines in any Deftones song, no debate.

Red Pill

Quote from: N0S3BLEED976 on Apr 02, 2017, 10:08 PM
Don't feed the trolls, people.

Oh and Geometric Headress has some of the coolest, most original lines in any Deftones song, no debate.

No debate...Haha another troll!

E-Money

Quote from: Inkblades on Apr 02, 2017, 08:58 PM
Why shouldn't I compare them? Because Migos suck dick? Okay, agreed. Glad we straightened that out. Cool. I'll stick with Gore and you can stick with your garbage hipster mumble rap and dated nu-metal.

Lol, and musteatbrains didn't expose shit. He offered a couple of decent arguments related to his opinon, but certainly nothing conclusive. First off, he mentions Gore (the song) and Doomed User as being heavy for the sake of being heavy. I agree, but those my two least favorite songs on the album anyway. He completely fails to mention all of the good songs on the album, with P/T, AH, GH, H/W, L(MIRL) and Rubicon being the six best. Bad production (fuckin' Matt Hyde, I swear), I grant you, but look past that. The actual songwriting on those songs are great. The melodies are great.

Then he criticizes the lyrics...well, I ask in return, what are better lyrics in comparison to, say, the AH lyrics I just posted? "She breaks her horses OOoooOooooOOOoooOOoooO?" Or how about "ooOOooOOOooOOOOH I wish this night would never end!" Please give me a break.

We don't have a logical response? I responded to TheCyndicate's admittedly well-thought out response with a response of my own. What's your response? To keep posting the same shit over and over with the fucking vocabulary of a ten-year-old boy playing Counterstrike for the first time. You've offered no evidence besides quoting others because you are literally incapable of articulating your own thoughts beyond petty insults. I, on the other hand, keep my insults on some clever shit.

Completely agree. And Matt Hyde better hide if he's doing the next record... or figure some shit out..

Seven

The Cyndicate

Quote from: Inkblades on Apr 02, 2017, 05:48 PM
Quote from: The Cyndicate on Apr 02, 2017, 01:47 PM
I don't agree at all.

I take it literally, because the album lacks alot of the passion and atmosphere of all the other albums.

That line also does not fit in the style or pattern that Chino normally sings and writes in.

Face it, this album is written from other experiences/he took less care writing it and it shows.

He meant that shit.

Like Hideo Kojima can't stand Metal Gear anymore, Chino is sick and bored of the Deftones and THAT is the perfect analogy, because MGS V:TPP was half ass for the same reason.

Plus:

Same old song is about a person's actions.

He says Nothing to sing about: IVE BARED ALL MY LEAVES.

That's as litteral as it gets. He's given all he can give to this shit, he's done.

I agree that it's one of the more obvious lyrics Chino's written. It's not in his usual cryptic style. But I like that on an album of primarily cryptic lyrics, it seems stark and emotionally honest in comparison. It's FAR from being the best lyric he's ever written, sure, but his melancholy delivery makes it work, IMO.

And I'd actually posit that Gore is lyrically his best work since S/T. There's some good lyrics on post-S/T albums, but Gore seems to have some of his more unique material. Take Acid, Geo and Pittura, for instance. They seem to almost be a new lyrical style for him.

And you didn't like Phantom Pain? I never finished it, but I thought that's maybe just because I'm not really into video games like I used to be. It seems like everyone went crazy for it though, so I'm genuinely curious why it didn't work for you.

I love TPP, it just lacks the same paranormal/Kojima feel. It just feels like you have to TRY to like it, just like you have to TRY to like Gore. And no we know why, because Kojima was leaving and was done. I'm sure the Deftones are on the same path.

And lyrically, I love Crosses far more than Gore.

guarnoplo

Quote from: The Cyndicate on Apr 03, 2017, 05:53 PM

I love TPP, it just lacks the same paranormal/Kojima feel. It just feels like you have to TRY to like it, just like you have to TRY to like Gore. And no we know why, because Kojima was leaving and was done. I'm sure the Deftones are on the same path.

†††, Palms, [Team Sleep no because that would be an offense to even put it next to Gore for comparison  :-X] yes, far more than anything in Gore.
And what if there are good lyrics in a song, does that make the whole song perfect?
I like songs from Gore just as songs not Deftones songs. The feel, the atmosphere; some may have it slightly but lose it.
The quote repeated for one of the 'trolls' is really good. Why can't he present it?
I wouldn't say they are in denial, they force themselves to like the album (maybe :v); to the ones that like/love it. But I'm with The Cyndicate saying the rare ones. It's like when someone likes something I don't; and we're talking Deftones here so we pretty much are expected to have the same taste and know what Deftones sounds like and/or is.

The Cyndicate

Quote from: guarnoplo on Apr 04, 2017, 02:51 AM
Quote from: The Cyndicate on Apr 03, 2017, 05:53 PM

†††, Palms, [Team Sleep no because that would be an offense to even put it next to Gore for comparison  :-X] yes, far more than anything in Gore.
And what if there are good lyrics in a song, does that make the whole song perfect?
I like songs from Gore just as songs not Deftones songs. The feel, the atmosphere; some may have it slightly but lose it.
The quote repeated for one of the 'trolls' is really good. Why can't he present it?
I wouldn't say they are in denial, they force themselves to like the album (maybe :v); to the ones that like/love it. But I'm with The Cyndicate saying the rare ones. It's like when someone likes something I don't; and we're talking Deftones here so we pretty much are expected to have the same taste and know what Deftones sounds like and/or is.

Yeah, it just does not feel like a Deftones album. And that's a problem, it's never happened before.

Here are a few other points:

People keep talking about great, complex lyrics on Gore and that's one of the problems, they are "try hard" lyrics. That's what removes the Deftones feel from the album. Are they unique, complex lyrics? Yup, but when you hear them, you can just tell that he sat down and TRIED to make them like that, when in past albums, the lyrics feel genuine, like they just flowed out of him and he sings them honestly. Gore sounds like a cop trying to justify a bullshit parking ticket. Just dishonest as hell.

Rubicon:

If you listen to this song and you don't get the message that they are thanking fans and saying goodbye, then I just don't know what to say. I instantly get the feeling of them appreciating the crowds and support and it just feels like a farewell song. It's weird that it's almost the only song with a meta-atmosphere like old Deftones, but it's not that great.

Really, the album overall feels like an autistic millennial wrote it.

Inkblades

LOL @ autistic millennial. I don't really get that vibe personally, but that's a funny line nonetheless.

I don't think Gore is perfect, by the way. I do have problems with it. Production sucks, which we all know, but there's a couple other bugaboos. DU and Gore are heavy for the sake of heavy as musteatbrains mentioned. I also feel that Pittura and Xenon (which I both personally like) don't really jive with the mood of the rest of the album. They just feel lighter than the rest of the songs, like they belong on a different album or something. PB feels like it's going to be a great song, starts out with some really pretty melodies, but gets repetitive somewhere along the line and just ends up being a good song instead. In other words, it suffers from Entombed syndrome.

I still think P/T, AH, Geo, H/W, (L)MIRL and Rubicon are great songs, though. I'll defend those six to the end...'til we all get off.

And yes, Rubicon does feel like somewhat of a farewell song. That is, until the next Deftones album drops in a few years.

And I'm with you on Crosses. For my money, it's the best album Chino has put out this decade.

The Cyndicate

Quote from: Inkblades on Apr 04, 2017, 05:15 AM
LOL @ autistic millennial. I don't really get that vibe personally, but that's a funny line nonetheless.

I don't think Gore is perfect, by the way. I do have problems with it. Production sucks, which we all know, but there's a couple other bugaboos. DU and Gore are heavy for the sake of heavy as musteatbrains mentioned. I also feel that Pittura and Xexon (which I both personally like) don't really jive with the mood of the rest of the album. They just feel lighter than the rest of the songs, like they belong on a different album or something. PB feels like it's going to be a great song, starts out with some really pretty melodies, but gets repetitive somewhere along the line and just ends up being a good song instead. In other words, it suffers from Entombed syndrome.

I still think P/T, AH, Geo, H/W, (L)MIRL and Rubicon are great songs, though. I'll defend those six to the end...'til we all get off.

And yes, Rubicon does feel like somewhat of a farewell song. That is, until the next Deftones album drops in a few years.

And I'm with you on Crosses. For my money, it's the best album Chino has put out this decade.

I happen to love (L)MIRL. It makes me want to kill myself and somehow that's a great thing. It's really weird, but if a song can do that to me, I really like that it can make me feel.

But it still doesn't feel like a Deftones song/album.

I want to take Hyde, tie him to a chair, take his shoes and socks off, turn on the album and every time I hear a production fault, hit him on his bare feet with a rubber mallet.

Either way, if they make another new, full album, it will surprise me. Not Eros, because I think they very well might finish that and release it.

I very well could be wrong about all of what I posted on this topic, I just don't think I am.

EDIT:

In Rubicon, he says "The record is ours to break!".

He isn't saying like a world record, he is saying that the ALBUM is theirs to break. Pretty much admitting that they broke the damn album on purpose.

Think about this stuff.

Red Pill

Crystal clear! They are deftones fanboys, and they are leapers to the leapers. After all, they support a album so fucking generic and terrible. Deftones have unleashed the P/T onto the tone-def masses. And has left them with one official vídeo, The best part is the title track is so bad, it will make deceased drummer abe roll over in his grave a few times.The album Lol, Take a listen as generic riffs serve as a luke warm backdrop. To put it simply, they sound much less heavy, And the songwriting is piss poor.. They have also reduced their screaming with time, and have shed their agressive nu-metal roots almost completely after their wp album with laughable attemps of being heavy with songs as DU. A lot of fans view this as a cop out. Many of their softer numbers are also overly emo/sentimental. With gore they score a 10 on the suck meter.

The Cyndicate

To be fair, he really did fuck his throat up badly. He is lucky he can sing at all. That being said, if you ever catch me having to inhale to scream at the same time, flat out kill me. Please.

N0S3BLEED976

Quote from: The Cyndicate on Apr 04, 2017, 05:56 AM
EDIT:

In Rubicon, he says "The record is ours to break!".

He isn't saying like a world record, he is saying that the ALBUM is theirs to break. Pretty much admitting that they broke the damn album on purpose.

Think about this stuff.

Deep.

The Prodigy