Started by gotmyknife, Mar 11, 2017, 10:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

snw9

Quote from: The Prodigy on Mar 14, 2017, 02:35 AM
Quote from: snw9 on Mar 14, 2017, 01:33 AM
Quote from: The Prodigy on Mar 11, 2017, 12:39 PM
I can't wait!
The setlists...smh

I agree, definitely lacks diversity that the fans expect.

And maybe Stef plays the solo by himself Lol in panthom bride!

I would love to see Steph bust that solo out live. There was a facebook chat interview in Australia with Steph, Abe and Sergio and they mentioned that they don't have time to practice and play songs so they just usually rehearse what they already know. That was their reasoning.
Code: [Select]

The Prodigy

ZND84

what a lame ass thread this is. I'm happy with the fact they're still playing shows at all. I don't give a shit what Chino wears, tickets are no more than fifty bucks, and it makes for a great night. I've been to five of their of shows. I got fucked up, chilled, went nuts whatever. i didn't go to critique the playlists and chino's attire. enjoy the fact they're still around making music that sounds good. except Xenon that songs sucks

Lucky_Me

@ZND84 Finally, some positive energy on this thread! ;D I agree with you, only I do think Xenon's a good song, but to each their own. With everything else, you're absolutely right. They play at the coolest venues, tickets are affordable, they're still making great music (at least for my taste) and best of all, they seem to genuinely care about their fans. I honestly don't get why people complain so much about their favorite bands. No band is perfect, but if you don't like the one who's your favorite now, there are lots of other amazing bands to discover out there. I'm just grateful that Deftones are still making music; I was really late to this party, however, I love being their fan and I'm super stoked for their upcoming tour.
Eccentricity is but a sophisticated form of insanity.

snw9

Quote from: Lucky_Me on Mar 15, 2017, 06:43 AM
@ZND84 Finally, some positive energy on this thread! ;D I agree with you, only I do think Xenon's a good song, but to each their own. With everything else, you're absolutely right. They play at the coolest venues, tickets are affordable, they're still making great music (at least for my taste) and best of all, they seem to genuinely care about their fans. I honestly don't get why people complain so much about their favorite bands. No band is perfect, but if you don't like the one who's your favorite now, there are lots of other amazing bands to discover out there. I'm just grateful that Deftones are still making music; I was really late to this party, however, I love being their fan and I'm super stoked for their upcoming tour.

I paid 62 dollars to see Deftones for the first time ever in August 2016 (Canada) and what a memorable show it was, they played Kimdracula. I will pay top dollar to see deftones any day.

Red Pill

Quote from: ZND84 on Mar 15, 2017, 06:30 AM
i didn't go to critique the playlists and chino's attire. enjoy the fact they're still around making music that sounds good. except Xenon that songs sucks

Haha except gore sucks...

Quote from: Lucky_Me on Mar 15, 2017, 06:43 AMthey're still making great music (at least for my taste) and best of all, they seem to genuinely care about their fans.

Right Lol...

Longstem

Quote from: gotmyknife on Mar 11, 2017, 10:04 AM
DISCLAIMER: I've seen Deftones live 4 times between 2003 and 2010. This isn't meant as any disrespect to the band or people that are current, devoted fans. Whatever makes people happy is cool. The following is a list of reasons why I just can't get excited about Deftones coming to town anymore...

1. They divorced Saturday Night Wrist from their repertoire
2. They pretty much play the same setlists every single night of their tours now
3. Chino used to have a signature style and he owned it like Elvis. Yes, I'm talking about the converse/skater socks
4. Cover songs of 80s bands are no more, but used to be one of the coolest things to expect (like easter eggs)
5. (an extension of #4) No more splitting up 7-Words to throw in an epic cover song.
6. No more euphoric, uplifting, etherial songs like Minerva, Cherry Waves
7. The final and most important reason is very hard to say. But, it's never been the same without Chi :(

Hi ,

Nice topic, but I do not agree completely.
I mean, I understand your point of view but to me they is certainly no reason to miss them seeing live. Ive seen them +-30 times live and last show (Cologne, Germany) was honestly saying in my top 5 of all time favourite performances. Two decades and those guys rock the stage like gods. I consider myself very lucky as a fan. 

Too bad we miss SNW in the setlists. But don't forget they openend their last tour (in the US) with Kimdracula. They have been very open about the dark and hard times and to me that's the big reason why they don't include much song from that era.
This brings me to your other point (and an whole different discussion) about Chi. They are in a better place and life as a band ($$) goes forward. We the fans, and the members of Deftones, miss him but they where able to transforme this into something pretty positive. Something that is clearly visible while seeing the band live and has a huge impact on their live performance.

I can partly agree on your setlist remark. Yes it"s often the same, but they tour about 1/3 to 2/3 a year. Routine is part of the game and they have a lot of (for exp. economical responsabilities). They provide work for a lot of people, they are like a company and that's something different than playing in a garage. I know that's not the strongest argument but I just see it this way. I understand their autopilote modus operandi. :)

Deftones is a band where less is more, so easter eggs are rare. I was able to witness some great surprises the last years in their setlist, often on demand of fans. Remember, 'Combat' in Amsterdam,  'Adrenaline' played in it's entirety in Paris...

I hope to see Deftones live till the end of their career. They are so much more than a good evening of live music and (binge) drinking. It became something special. Travelling around Europe, being a tourist and seeing this band live.
Only good memories so far... only good memories.. !

The Cyndicate

DISCLAIMER: I've seen Deftones live 4 times between 2003 and 2010. This isn't meant as any disrespect to the band or people that are current, devoted fans. Whatever makes people happy is cool. The following is a list of reasons why I just can't get excited about Deftones coming to town anymore...

2. They pretty much play the same setlists every single night of their tours now
3. Chino used to have a signature style and he owned it like Elvis. Yes, I'm talking about the converse/skater socks
4. Cover songs of 80s bands are no more, but used to be one of the coolest things to expect (like easter eggs)
5. (an extension of #4) No more splitting up 7-Words to throw in an epic cover song.
7. The final and most important reason is very hard to say. But, it's never been the same without Chi :(

1: SNW is one of my favorite albums. It's sad how it's discarded like it is.

2: Yup

3: I don't really care about clothing and belongings, but sadly this applies to his vocal style and abilities as well, so I agree.

4: Cover songs are the coolest things. That Cure song is dark and haunting. I agree.

5: Yeah, that break was meant to insert some rap or another cover.

6: And yes, this is a signature started with mood settings of white pony that evolved into Minerva. No reason to abondon this progression, it shows amazing range and thought. I agree.

7: I was lucky to hang out with Chi just before the accident here in Vegas for two days. And while I can say they are most certainly different, I thought Chi's backing vocals were bad live, but Sergio makes me want to beat myself to death with an 8 ball in a sock, BUT this isn't anyone's fault.

It does suck the feeling out of you. Makes you feel detached. So I understand.

I mean, you're right man, but what do you do?

The Prodigy

"Two decades and those guys rock the stage like gods. I consider myself very lucky as a fan."

I don't agree, lol

Quote from: snw9 on Mar 14, 2017, 11:40 AM
Quote from: The Prodigy on Mar 14, 2017, 02:35 AM
Quote from: snw9 on Mar 14, 2017, 01:33 AM
Quote from: The Prodigy on Mar 11, 2017, 12:39 PM
I can't wait!
The setlists...smh

I agree, definitely lacks diversity that the fans expect.

And maybe Stef plays the solo by himself Lol in panthom bride!

I would love to see Steph bust that solo out live. There was a facebook chat interview in Australia with Steph, Abe and Sergio and they mentioned that they don't have time to practice and play songs so they just usually rehearse what they already know. That was their reasoning.

The Cyndicate

Going to the shows kind of ruins the albums in a way, because you know the album isn't reality.

If someone feels this way and wants to share it, that's fine.
If you feel different, that's fine too.

But many times I feel like some members put in less work and put out a subpar product, while other members do and sound their best at every show.

This is a business and the sloppy members should be held  accountable for the negative experience they are giving people.

Inkblades

what a lame ass thread this is. I'm happy with the fact they're still playing shows at all. I don't give a shit what Chino wears, tickets are no more than fifty bucks, and it makes for a great night. I've been to five of their of shows. I got fucked up, chilled, went nuts whatever. i didn't go to critique the playlists and chino's attire. enjoy the fact they're still around making music that sounds good. except Xenon that songs sucks

Enjoying their music and thinking the setlists can be more well rounded are not mutually exclusive concepts. I'm with you on Chino's wardrobe, though. He could dress like a kung fu master for I all care...

mrpelon94

i agree with 1. and 2. and i love SNW...the sets been the same for years ....and i like sergio...just not feeling his style and singing and dont get me started on steph just standing in the same spot most of the time....shoegaze or whatever?....ive said my peace

nicklav

I've seen them 15 times since 2003, and I've had these same thoughts at one point or another. I'll tell you something though, once the lights dim and the first notes ring out all that shit goes right out the window. I hope they keep playing because I'll keep seeing them.

snw9

Quote from: Inkblades on Mar 15, 2017, 10:56 PM

Enjoying their music and thinking the setlists can be more well rounded are not mutually exclusive concepts. I'm with you on Chino's wardrobe, though. He could dress like a kung fu master for I all care...

What show was this?

BewareTheWater

I did go out of my way to message the Deftones FB page about doing a cover of Us Or Them by The Cure ( I dare you to listen to that song and tell me it's not suitable for Deftones ) . I doubt they really gave a fuck, but ... fingers crossed ?

O

There is so many sons for deftones and for u, Let´s choose!

defTHE1s

Quote from: nicklav on Mar 16, 2017, 11:28 PM
I've seen them 15 times since 2003, and I've had these same thoughts at one point or another. I'll tell you something though, once the lights dim and the first notes ring out all that shit goes right out the window. I hope they keep playing because I'll keep seeing them.
Exactly the same for me, except that I've seen them 8 times since 2007.

I remember that the days previous to the first time (2007) I've listened a lot of bootlegs from the recent shows (2006) and I was afraid the show was about the same songs but, luckily, it all turned out to be one or maybe the favorite i've been to, with songs like One Weak, Boys Republic, No Ordinary Love, Beware, Lotion.

So, basically, from that day, I've seen them every time they've come to México.

Yes yes, Deftones, yes yes, heavy metal, yes yes, nü metal, yes yes, fucking queer, yes yes...

Inkblades

Quote from: snw9 on Mar 17, 2017, 04:14 PM
Quote from: Inkblades on Mar 15, 2017, 10:56 PM

What show was this?

Ozzfest 99.

Red Pill

Apart from 3 everything seems correct!