Sharing Lungs - Deftones Online Community

Why I don't go to Deftones shows anyomore

Started by gotmyknife, Mar 11, 2017, 10:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ANattyRat

Quote from: nicklav on Mar 16, 2017, 11:28 PM
I've seen them 15 times since 2003, and I've had these same thoughts at one point or another. I'll tell you something though, once the lights dim and the first notes ring out all that shit goes right out the window. I hope they keep playing because I'll keep seeing them.

Same here, except I've only seen them four times since 2010. Travelling there, I'm excited, when the show starts, I'm beyond excited, during the show I'm having the time of my life, and after it I'm the same. Objectively, of course I wish they played more varied songs, songs that are my personal favourites, etc. But for me, they never disappoint when they play live, even though there are a lot of songs that I've seen in every show. Every performance is different and that's what makes it special to me. I'm seeing them in May and I hope to hear some different Gore songs than I did last year, and hopefully a more refreshed setlist, but either way I'm looking forward to it.

Red Pill

Quote from: ANattyRat on Mar 29, 2017, 12:34 AM
Quote from: nicklav on Mar 16, 2017, 11:28 PM
I've seen them 15 times since 2003, and I've had these same thoughts at one point or another. I'll tell you something though, once the lights dim and the first notes ring out all that shit goes right out the window. I hope they keep playing because I'll keep seeing them.

Same here, except I've only seen them four times since 2010. Travelling there, I'm excited, when the show starts, I'm beyond excited, during the show I'm having the time of my life, and after it I'm the same. Objectively, of course I wish they played more varied songs, songs that are my personal favourites, etc. But for me, they never disappoint when they play live, even though there are a lot of songs that I've seen in every show. Every performance is different and that's what makes it special to me. I'm seeing them in May and I hope to hear some different Gore songs than I did last year, and hopefully a more refreshed setlist, but either way I'm looking forward to it.

I hope a more refreshed setlist and energy live!

therealdaebat

"They divorced Saturday Night Wrist from their repertoire"

That's why I DO go to their shows :D
---------------------------------------------------------------
-DAEBAT

Dictated Not Read

http://reddit.com/r/deftones

BewareTheWater

Not a fan of dat Saturday Night Lookatdaflicko'da Wri$$$t ?

.... I apologize in advance

Seven

The Cyndicate

Saturday Night Wrist was an amazing album. The way it was produced, the final sound and mix, it sounded so big. I remember my first time hearing it, I was so happy with how it sounded.

When I first heard Gore, I was instantly pissed. It sounds like a kid that downloaded pro tools and tried to make an album. I haven't even listened to a song from Gore in months. It's a forgettable album, that I bet pretty soon, most of you will stop listening to it.

In contrast, I just had SNW in the car yesterday, playing with the rest of the discography, minus Gore.

illthrowROCKS@U

Quote from: The Cyndicate on Mar 30, 2017, 05:54 AM
It's a forgettable album, that I bet pretty soon, most of you will stop listening to it.

For me, I highly doubt it. I still enjoy Gore, and consider it the best of the Sergio era.
9/26/10 - Patriot Center
5/22/11 - Sunset Cove Amphitheater
8/7/12 - Verizon Center
10/26/12 - Ram's Head Live
3/8/13 - House of Blues
10/8/13 - Baltimore Arena
7/31/15 - The Fillmore
8/8/15 - Susquehanna Bank Center
8/3/16 - Pier Six Pavillion
6/14/17 - MGM National Harbor
5/17/22 - The Anthem

LG95

If you're still listening to it now - a YEAR on - then it's unlikely you're just going to stop listening to it.
I could float here forever

The Prodigy

The Cyndicate

Quote from: LG95 on Mar 30, 2017, 03:36 PM
If you're still listening to it now - a YEAR on - then it's unlikely you're just going to stop listening to it.

A year on is nothing.

I still pop in God's Hands.

Gore is forgettable.
If there was a way to count how much the other albums are listened to, compared to Gore, by the fans, I bet you in the near future that Gore will drop to the bottom two spots on that list.

LG95

Quote from: The Cyndicate on Mar 31, 2017, 03:16 AM

A year on is nothing.

Gore is forgettable.
If there was a way to count how much the other albums are listened to, compared to Gore, by the fans, I bet you in the near future that Gore will drop to the bottom two spots on that list.
I still listen to God's Hands as well, that's completely irrelevant.

If you think an album's forgettable or not worth it, you're not going to be listening to it for a full year. And if you're listening to it for that long, you're probably not just going to stop and suddenly decide it's shit.

As much as you would like to think so...

The Cyndicate

Quote from: LG95 on Mar 31, 2017, 09:11 AM

A year on is nothing.

Gore is forgettable.

If you think an album's forgettable or not worth it, you're not going to be listening to it for a full year. And if you're listening to it for that long, you're probably not just going to stop and suddenly decide it's shit.

That's not true.

People will listen to it out of trying to force themselves to like it, since they have spent years telling people how infallible the Deftones are.

The production is shit and most of it is soulless.

You even have Chino saying there is nothing to sing about, on one of the freaking songs. If there is such a thing as a filler album, Gore is it.

LG95

All hail The Cyndicate, whose views speak for everyone else and if you disagree, you're just kidding yourself. Gore is soulless, don't you know?

I will agree that the production and mixing is shit though. The sound could really do with being re-done and then re-released.

illthrowROCKS@U

Quote from: LG95 on Mar 31, 2017, 01:37 PM
All hail The Cyndicate, whose views speak for everyone else and if you disagree, you're just kidding yourself. Gore is soulless, don't you know?

I will agree that the production and mixing is shit though. The sound could really do with being re-done and then re-released.

Honestly, I've been confused since the start. I've always thought Gore was good, I'm kind of surprised that it gets so much disdain. Although, my two favorite Deftones albums (ST and SNW) always seem to get disdain as well.

I think it comes down to this.. the same people who really liked Self Titled are generally the people who like Gore. To me, these albums are very similar in many ways. People who really liked albums like Diamond Eyes and Koi do not like Gore.

I think someone said it before, this is a testament to the variety that Deftones provides. Many people wish to hear many different things from Deftones. It's a very unique thing. Most bands are not quite as polarized.

Do I think they're perfect? Of course not. My Diamond Eyes vinyl would do well to collect dust on my shelf for a while. Sure, I'll listen to a track or two on my phone every once and a while, but as a whole album it just doesn't do it for me. Same goes for Adrenaline, and to a lesser extent Koi. They just don't grab me that much. But I just like Gore. What's the big deal?

I have never liked music that I then later stopped liking. I have not liked music that I then later started liking. I have liked music and then later liked it comparatively less by liking other things more. But I have never gone from liking a song or album to not liking a song or album.
9/26/10 - Patriot Center
5/22/11 - Sunset Cove Amphitheater
8/7/12 - Verizon Center
10/26/12 - Ram's Head Live
3/8/13 - House of Blues
10/8/13 - Baltimore Arena
7/31/15 - The Fillmore
8/8/15 - Susquehanna Bank Center
8/3/16 - Pier Six Pavillion
6/14/17 - MGM National Harbor
5/17/22 - The Anthem

LG95

Quote from: illthrowROCKS@U on Mar 31, 2017, 03:42 PM
Quote from: LG95 on Mar 31, 2017, 01:37 PM

Honestly, I've been confused since the start. I've always thought Gore was good, I'm kind of surprised that it gets so much disdain. Although, my two favorite Deftones albums (ST and SNW) always seem to get disdain as well.

I think it comes down to this.. the same people who really liked Self Titled are generally the people who like Gore. To me, these albums are very similar in many ways. People who really liked albums like Diamond Eyes and Koi do not like Gore.

I think someone said it before, this is a testament to the variety that Deftones provides. Many people wish to hear many different things from Deftones. It's a very unique thing. Most bands are not quite as polarized.

Do I think they're perfect? Of course not. My Diamond Eyes vinyl would do well to collect dust on my shelf for a while. Sure, I'll listen to a track or two on my phone every once and a while, but as a whole album it just doesn't do it for me. Same goes for Adrenaline, and to a lesser extent Koi. They just don't grab me that much. But I just like Gore. What's the big deal?

I have never liked music that I then later stopped liking. I have not liked music that I then later started liking. I have liked music and then later liked it comparatively less by liking other things more. But I have never gone from liking a song or album to not liking a song or album.
Part of the problem is that most bands that keep going for twenty years or longer will have very clear peaks and very clear dips. Maintaining a level of consistency for that long is so difficult and in most cases, there will be a rough consensus about their duff album(s) and their peak album(s).

With Deftones and probably only a handful of other rock bands, it's a different story because of their consistent quality. Yes there are still peaks - the three album run of Around The Fur, White Pony and the S/T is and will always be their peak period in my opinion and I don't think they have it in them anymore to create a record that matches the quality of those, especially ATF and WP. However, even in their 'dips', the standard of their studio work has still been good. It's why there's so much variation when fans try and rate their discography from favourite to least favourite - if you're not personally that into a specific album, there are a thousand other people who fucking love it. I don't listen to KNY all that much but I still rate it and I know lots of people who adore it. Similarly, I'm head over heels in love with the S/T but there are people who don't like it all that much (as mad as they are). There really aren't many other bands for whom there is such a consensus about the consistent quality of their work and, consequently, such a spread of opinion about which is their best and which is their worst.

Take White Pony. We're probably all aware of the reputation that album has, a reputation that doesn't only exist amongst Deftones fans. There are rock fans that aren't that into Deftones that are well aware of the regard that record's held in. For most bands, there would probably be a majority consensus that it was their best album. If you polled every Deftones fan however, I don't think it would get a third of the vote. It would probably just about come top.

E-Money

The Prodigy

' even in their 'dips', the standard of their studio work has still been good. '
DE, Gore = bad

BewareTheWater

Quote from: The Prodigy on Apr 01, 2017, 01:51 AM
' even in their 'dips', the standard of their studio work has still been good. '
DE, Gore = bad
! No longer available

The Cyndicate

For the record, I have liked every single album, except Gore.

If you love Gore, that's fine, you are just one of the rare ones.

I'm telling you, if technology existed that could show what every Deftones fan listens to, Gore would be near the bottom.

I know alot of Deftones fans in person and when they are playing Deftones, it isn't Gore. Some will swear that they like it, yet have never been caught playing it.

ANattyRat

Quote from: The Cyndicate on Mar 31, 2017, 01:28 PM
Quote from: LG95 on Mar 31, 2017, 09:11 AM

A year on is nothing.

Gore is forgettable.

That's not true.

People will listen to it out of trying to force themselves to like it, since they have spent years telling people how infallible the Deftones are.

The production is shit and most of it is soulless.

You even have Chino saying there is nothing to sing about, on one of the freaking songs. If there is such a thing as a filler album, Gore is it.

How did you get so arrogant that you decide to speak for the people who listen to it? I've been listening to Gore every single day since it released. And of course Gore would be at the bottom list of played albums; it's the newest album. I've listened to White Pony songs way more than I've listened to Gore songs, because it's been out for longer. What kind of logic is that?

Also if you hate Gore, that's fair enough, but please don't bring the lyrics into it. He wrote a song like Digital Bath, but you've decided that that one line in one song is to be taken literally? On the same album he has a song about suicide, but I don't think he's got an actual gun to his head, do you? Hearts/Wires has a hopeless vibe to it, so the lyrics coincide with it. Don't grasp at straws just because you want your opinion to be factual rather than subjective.