Sharing Lungs - Deftones Online Community

Question for OG's

Started by sharp machine, Apr 08, 2017, 05:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sharp machine

Been reading into the making of Saturday Night Wrist, trying to make sense of a few things, and I keep stumbling into the idea that Chino got help with writing some of the record. I found an interview with CM where he says:

"They [the Label] were over my shoulder the whole time, saying, "We want you to work with this person. We want you to work with this songwriter."

So my question to you, true scholars, has anyone ever confirmed if there was outside influence on SNW, and if so, on which songs?

LG95

The only other people with songwriting credits on SNW are the two guest vocalists (Serj Tankian on Mein and Annie Hardy on Pink Cellphone) and one for Shaun Lopez on Mein, presumably when he was piecing it together with Chino.

The label did try to put Chino with some songwriters which he brings up around 26:40 in this interview. I think this was probably around the period where he had basically abandoned the whole project.
http://youtu.be/LFZbzO5MYJo
I could float here forever

sharp machine

Awesome, that clears it up for me, appreciate the it!

snw9

I would agree with above, Shaun played a much larger role in terms of helping Chino with vocals and re-arranging the songs.
Code: [Select]

guarnoplo

Quote from: O on Apr 09, 2017, 10:03 PM
Yeah... basically, https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Saturday_Night_Wrist#Early_writing_and_recording

damn! now I see why SNW has more of that ambient, atmospheric vibe. It's like Chino brought those ideas from coming back and forth to work with Team Sleep. Dope

The Cyndicate

Quote from: sharp machine on Apr 08, 2017, 05:01 PM
Been reading into the making of Saturday Night Wrist, trying to make sense of a few things, and I keep stumbling into the idea that Chino got help with writing some of the record. I found an interview with CM where he says:

"They [the Label] were over my shoulder the whole time, saying, "We want you to work with this person. We want you to work with this songwriter."

So my question to you, true scholars, has anyone ever confirmed if there was outside influence on SNW, and if so, on which songs?

SNW is hardly an OG related topic, lol.

mrpelon94

i dont understand why  people have a problem with SNW.....thats like my go to album always ...i have all the deftones album in my truck nothing else and when im undecided on what album i want to hear boom SNW...they need to play more of this album live..the only complaint is i wish pink cellphone had no vocals just the beat.

The Prodigy

Inkblades

One thing I remember from an old interview is that Riviere was originally supposed to be longer, but Slopez made it shorter. I always felt that song ended abruptly. Bad call, IMO. Still a great song, though.

Red Pill

Yeah the Wikipedia seems right this time!

snw9

Quote from: Inkblades on Apr 12, 2017, 05:09 AM
One thing I remember from an old interview is that Riviere was originally supposed to be longer, but Slopez made it shorter. I always felt that song ended abruptly. Bad call, IMO. Still a great song, though.

Hi, what is the source if you recall? What I remember reading on Kerrang was Bob didn't want any drums on the tracks however it was agreed they'd come in the end. It should have been longer.

SNW is one of my favourite records, I still listen to it today though some of the songs could have been fairly better or worked on more.

illthrowROCKS@U

Quote from: mrpelon94 on Apr 11, 2017, 10:36 PM
i dont understand why  people have a problem with SNW.....thats like my go to album always ...i have all the deftones album in my truck nothing else and when im undecided on what album i want to hear boom SNW...they need to play more of this album live..the only complaint is i wish pink cellphone had no vocals just the beat.

I'm alright with the vocals. Just wish that stupid part at the end wasn't there. It had the chance of being like Radiohead's Fitter Happier, but that ending ruined it.
9/26/10 - Patriot Center
5/22/11 - Sunset Cove Amphitheater
8/7/12 - Verizon Center
10/26/12 - Ram's Head Live
3/8/13 - House of Blues
10/8/13 - Baltimore Arena
7/31/15 - The Fillmore
8/8/15 - Susquehanna Bank Center
8/3/16 - Pier Six Pavillion
6/14/17 - MGM National Harbor
5/17/22 - The Anthem

Inkblades

Quote from: snw9 on Apr 12, 2017, 06:15 PM

Hi, what is the source if you recall? What I remember reading on Kerrang was Bob didn't want any drums on the tracks however it was agreed they'd come in the end. It should have been longer.

SNW is one of my favourite records, I still listen to it today though some of the songs could have been fairly better or worked on more.

Sorry, I don't. Such a long time ago. I think it might have actually been a Shaun interview, though.

snw9

Quote from: Inkblades on Apr 17, 2017, 09:51 PM
Quote from: snw9 on Apr 12, 2017, 06:15 PM

Sorry, I don't. Such a long time ago. I think it might have actually been a Shaun interview, though.

The Shaun interview, from the pinkmaggit.fr(now defunct) mentioned all the songs were longer. Oh well SNW is what it is, my top favourites of Deftones.