Sharing Lungs - Deftones Online Community

Original Leaked White Pony,...

Started by The Cyndicate, May 05, 2017, 06:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Cyndicate

Ok, so I have been thru every box I have in Las Vegas. This includes old broken hard drives that I had to pull data off of. This was a long process and I just got done with all of it, resulting in ZERO material. ZERO.

So now the only hope I have to find this material,.. is to drag out an old server in TN when I get there, and find the files for WRNG Radio, that had the promo video and all of the leaked album from the night of the 23rd. I am actually pretty shocked that I couldn't find a copy that I know I have multiple copies of... I am shocked no one else has a copy either and I'm pretty mad at myself for just assuming it would always be around.

I'm sorry guys. I should have had it and I should have taken better care of it all. I apologize.

I promise you, that the first thing I will do when I get my hands on it,.. is post it here.

I just wanted you all to know that I did look and I looked through every single thing that I have access too.

defTHE1s

Yes yes, Deftones, yes yes, heavy metal, yes yes, nü metal, yes yes, fucking queer, yes yes...

snw9

Were there any notable differences? I knew it leaked on Napster and only heard the unfinished mix of Back to school.
Code: [Select]

The Cyndicate

Quote from: snw9 on May 08, 2017, 05:27 PM
Were there any notable differences? I knew it leaked on Napster and only heard the unfinished mix of Back to school.

Yeah, there were some pretty significant differences. Names of songs, length of songs. Stuff like that. It actually leaked off of mIRC first, from there went to Napster.

Yasamoto

I'm sure your message is very good. Get a lot of benefits.

truthaddict

I definitely got some of these MP3s off Napster back in the day before the official release, but I think I deleted the files after I bought the CD.  I know that some of the songs popped up on there with one or even several fake names over time.  Some of the songs were tagged with a name which we eventually learned really belonged to another song on the final release. 

I don't recall many songs sounding incredibly different from the final version, but could be wrong.

I started digging online, and found this info on another site, which lists some of the fake names.

http://www.deftonesworld.com/ponys-leakage/

Also, this page which describes the pre-mix version of Back To School.

http://www.deftonesworld.com/white-pony-song-secrets/

"The pre-mix version of Back To School that was floating around in Napster in March 2000 is a lot different than the final release that appeared on the single/enhanced album. In the original version the sound is a lot more compatible to the rest of the album, the drums sound the same (the album version has a higher dynamic range, what makes it sound more "fat") Also, the beginning has a little static in background (probably due to the "unfinished" status) Plus, in the album version, Chino starts his first verse at 0:22, in the original version he starts at 0:32, because one pattern seems to have been edited. Plus, in the album version, there has been different background vocals added at the end of the song. Plus, the vocals in the album version are a lot louder and more "sharp" than in the original mix. "

I searched online for some of the fake song titles, and found some 192kbps MP3s which might be what everyone remembers from Napster.   

New Murderer (Feiticeira)
Nightrider (Digital Bath)
Elite
Iceskates (RX Queen)
White Pony (Street Carp)
Digital Bath (Teenager)
Knife Party At The Niko (Knife Prty)
Feiticeira (Korea)
Passenger
Change (In The House Of Flies)
Pink Maggit (Back To School)
Untitled Bonus (Pink Maggit)

The mastering seems slightly louder.  The mix might be slightly different, or at least the vocals sound clearer sometimes?   These are the only other differences that I can hear:

Back To School - 18 seconds longer.  More intro before vocals come in.  The chorus says "Not like you need THEM" instead of "Not like you need HER".  Maybe some different vocal takes in other parts?

Elite - Vocals might be a little louder or clearer in the mix?  Not 100% sure.

Knife Prty - 1 second shorter

Change - 2 seconds shorter

Pink Maggit - 1 second shorter

Knucklestones

Thanks a ton for posting these! I noticed some differences on Elite. There's vocals on the bridges of the song that aren't there on the final.

truthaddict

Quote from: Knucklestones on Jun 23, 2017, 02:29 PM
Thanks a ton for posting these! I noticed some differences on Elite. There's vocals on the bridges of the song that aren't there on the final.

Nice!  I didn't pick that up myself, but will give it another listen. 

If anyone notices any other differences, please post it here.

Knucklestones

I agree with you though that the mix definitely doesn't sound final.

stephtones

snw9

Quote from: truthaddict on Jun 23, 2017, 01:05 AM
[spoiler]https://www.sendspace.com/file/7xzm2d[/spoiler]

Thanks mate, I can't really tell the difference except for Back to School however nice to have.
Code: [Select]

mono

The Cyndicate

Good stuff man. Yeah they are not huge differences, but enough to just be worth having because of the differences.

The names werent fake names, they were working titles, like Knife Prty at Nikos, and some that did go to other songs.