Sharing Lungs - Deftones Online Community

Ohms: pre-release hype thread

Started by LG95, Feb 24, 2018, 01:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

buddyboy101

Quote from: kurtone on Feb 16, 2020, 03:54 AM
Quote from: Vesanic on Feb 16, 2020, 03:32 AM
I'll tell you something, I don't even remember. I think someone kept saying "two more hours" when we were waiting for a release or an announcement, and it rolled on from there...

Wasn't it right before SNW? I remember some guy claiming he had found it but it was downloading really slow and kept giving time frame updates of when the download would finish.
haha thought it was before kny leaked, but daaaamn maybe it was snw!

Inkblades

I'll tell you all where two more hours came from in two more hours.

Vesanic

Quote from: kurtone on Feb 16, 2020, 03:54 AM
Quote from: Vesanic on Feb 16, 2020, 03:32 AM
I'll tell you something, I don't even remember. I think someone kept saying "two more hours" when we were waiting for a release or an announcement, and it rolled on from there...

Wasn't it right before SNW? I remember some guy claiming he had found it but it was downloading really slow and kept giving time frame updates of when the download would finish.

That would be a re-use then. I joined the forum around the Eros days, and the release of DE was when the joke became regular, I think! I just don't remember lol

EDIT: Upon searching, the oldest mentions go back to 2012. Btw the KNY thread had over 500 pages!

beansandcornbread

Yeah it was the KNY release that it became a thing.

Inkblades

A single has to drop real soon (in the next two weeks) if the album is still coming out in April. The rollouts are typically the first single two months before the album and the second single one month before the album. If not, kurtone is right.

RoyalDeftonicBoy

Quote from: Inkblades on Feb 18, 2020, 08:05 AM
A single has to drop real soon (in the next two weeks) if the album is still coming out in April. The rollouts are typically the first single two months before the album and the second single one month before the album. If not, kurtone is right.

True on that, a clear example that a single gotta be drop soon is The Black Dahlia Murder that dropped a single a week and a half ago and their album is coming out in April.

lahemi

So what are you looking for from a new deftones album, what do you guys expect? Which songs and ideas did you like the most from the last album?
even though the mixing of Gore was atrocious, the album as a whole was much more captivating than DE and KYN (imo ofc). I just hope they'll improve their songwriting, I don't know what it is, but in some songs the pop structure seems way more obvious than others (Prayers / Triangles) and it kills the replay value.
And I don't give up on interludes, I still love the idea!

LG95

They're still great songwriters so I've no worries with that.

Mischievous side of me hopes this is the softest Deftones album just to throw off all the "LeT StEphEn WrItE tHe HeAvY RiFfS" people.

Really though the only thing I specifically want to hear is Abe produced perfectly again. I want new Abe grooves sounding great in the mix again.
I could float here forever

Inkblades

Quote from: lahemi on Feb 18, 2020, 05:05 PM
So what are you looking for from a new deftones album, what do you guys expect? Which songs and ideas did you like the most from the last album?
even though the mixing of Gore was atrocious, the album as a whole was much more captivating than DE and KYN (imo ofc). I just hope they'll improve their songwriting, I don't know what it is, but in some songs the pop structure seems way more obvious than others (Prayers / Triangles) and it kills the replay value.

The single biggest thing I'm looking for is for all of the songs to fit together and form a complete work as opposed to just being a group of random songs. All of their albums are pretty consistent in that regard, but some more than others. Some of the non-Terry albums feel like the songs don't always fit together (SNW and KNY, in particular) and it's one of the reasons I'm so happy Terry is back. I really think he will help them reach that.

As far as the overall sound they are going for, I definitely want something somewhere between dark, spacey, sad and beautiful. I'd definitely love to see them explore more of the futuristic space rock side that they've dabbled with on Minerva, HITE, Xerces, Combat, 976, Acid Hologram, Rubicon, etc. I'm always up for some experimental. Crazier song structures, definitely - and maybe even a few that don't have traditional choruses.

I also don't mind if the album isn't super heavy because let's be honest, this isn't a band of 20-somethings anymore. Of course, I still welcome heavier stuff if they are offering it up. It is a Deftones album, of course. Rumor is the album is heavier than Gore, so we'll see.

And it's a must that Abe and Frank are audible in the mix.

EDIT: Would love a song or two with some piano, too.

cEvin Key

So what are you looking for from a new Deftones album, what do you guys expect? Which songs and ideas did you like the most from the last album?

Personally I feel like since White Pony they have been repeating the same formula, there's a bit of variation and they have gone on a more pop direction but there isn't a drastic change of sound or any surprises.
I wish they would completely change what they are doing and would come out with a refreshing sound. Personally I would like something heavier in mood and also a lot more experimental but still with some beautiful dreamy and epic parts, but mostly with a dark and heavy feel. Definitely more Steph, Frank, and Abe. Given that the band has been known for mixing heavy and melodic I would like if they would explore a post-metal type of sound and if they would intense fast drumming in a few songs, a lot more synths and that Steph would write more than 2 or 3 riffs per song. I would also appreciate if Chino would play around with his vocal style, do more rhythmic stuff(no rap thou), more screaming(not all the time thou) and change the type of melodies he uses. Maybe some prog elements(I might be asking to much here). I would genuinely like it if they would do something a bit more ambitious, experimental, heavy and some nice surprises and curveballs. A song featuring Robert Smith on both vocals and guitar would be awesome.I also hope they ditch the pop elements.

In the end, I think they are going to end up coming out with more of the same, It's probably going to be an interesting album with some cool stuff going on but nothing groundbreaking.
Still, I have a little bit of hope that they might give us one really great surprise.

Gaz

I'm hoping for better production more than anything. Diamond Eyes really grew on me over time, as did KNY, Gore had some OK songs, but quite a lot of passable ones

I'm not expecting anything ground breaking, but want it to be progression from Gore at least

Inkblades

With Terry Date behind the boards, it's an absolute 100% guarantee that the production will be better than Gore.

I pray for them to drop something groundbreaking, but if we're being realistic, I shouldn't expect that because it's probably not going to happen. BUT, how I see it is Diamond Eyes, Koi No Yokan and Gore are all good three-and-a-half to four star albums, but I know deep down that they have it within themselves to drop one more five-star record.

E-Money

Quote from: Inkblades on Feb 22, 2020, 12:33 AM
With Terry Date behind the boards, it's an absolute 100% guarantee that the production will be better than Gore.

I pray for them to drop something groundbreaking, but if we're being realistic, I shouldn't expect that because it's probably not going to happen. BUT, how I see it is Diamond Eyes, Koi No Yokan and Gore are all good three-and-a-half to four star albums, but I know deep down that they have it within themselves to drop one more five-star record.

This is exactly how I feel . Think songs like Rubicon really had potential but the production just lacked so much.. What Happened To You has always been the Gem of the Sergio era for me personally. I love it sonically. But I really feel with Terry back in the mix they can create something special. Hoping this 9 string doesn't sound dumb. In my opinion he sounded his best and his heaviest on a 6. 🤷🏻‍♂️ Good times ahead no doubt!!

sharinglungs

If they're going for an april/may release, we should hear a single soon.

Rocket skates released on this day in 2010. Album was out on May.

So hopefully the album is set for a release earlier this year and not later.

stu_101

Stef's input is vital Deftones DNA and more song writing should be structured on what he brings to the party.

To me, the very few riff-driven songs on Gore felt awkward (Doomed User) and a bit lazy - as if it was an afterthought to include something "heavy". I'm confident TD will help bring all this together more coherently and capture the quintessential Deftones sound for 2020.

I'd also like to see Chino lower is vocal range and focus on the darker, emotive, more vulnerable side of things that will also translate better in a live show. I believe there are a few reasons why Gore songs are hardly ever played live - vocal execution is likely one of them as well as some members just not believing in the record.

Vesanic

A lot of my points were already mentioned by a couple people here.

I have been longing for a new Terry Date style record since Diamond Eyes. No matter how you look at it, and I know KNY is he favorite of a lot of the new fans, Terry is basically a member of the band. He is the only guy able to use the most potential out of the band's sound, because of his craft, his experience with the band, and also the unique bond they have together makes him the only person able to coach them properly while giving the right amount of liberty to what I personally see as their true sound. When Nick heard the Eros material before starting Diamond Eyes, he said "You're not putting that out". It worked out for them in the end commercially and Diamond Eyes is a very good rock record. But I'll never, ever be able to put it on the same level. Chi being gone played its part. Terry being absent made it worse.

This band needs a lot more of Stephen's input. He is the true leader of this band imo. I would trust him enough to be the decision maker, with the sound, the direction, the setlists, etc. The riff on Doomed User is awesome but ruined.

Chino needs to croon more. He has been struggling with high notes even before his vocal damage. He had trouble singing the high notes on Root even in 1995. We all know why Leathers was barely performed, or why 976-EVIL was played only once. That's two examples amongst many. Keep it low, show your vulnerable side, no need to overdo it with parts the fans won't even hear live.

Let Deftones be Deftones. My expectations are huge this time around and I seriously believe this record will give them the light they have always deserved.

And for crying out loud, put that snare back where it belongs in the mix.

Inkblades

I also want to see Stephen get his darker, fuzzier tone back (not sure if that's a realistic hope, considering the 9-string). And not resorting to repetitive, overly-simplistic riffs. I think we all know he can do better than what he offered up on Diamond Eyes, the end of Rosemary, the Gore chorus, etc.

luisch

Searching the machine might reveal what you don't want to know

Climhazzard

How did the person who wrote that article glean that the release date would be in the summer/second half of the year based on what Abe said?

Inkblades

Quote from: Climhazzard on Feb 24, 2020, 07:31 PM
How did the person who wrote that article glean that the release date would be in the summer/second half of the year based on what Abe said?

I'm guessing Abe told them that and they just didn't put his exact words in quotes.

The wait continues...