Sharing Lungs - Deftones Online Community

Ohms: pre-release hype thread

Started by LG95, Feb 24, 2018, 01:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

LG95

If it did happen, I think it would be in tandem with a new release.

I don't see it happening though. Happy to be proven wrong.
I could float here forever

Inkblades

That picture says its on Amazon...but it isn't. Yeah, don't believe it.

Penicks

Vesanic

Two more hours.

God

mono

Quote from: Vesanic on Apr 15, 2020, 02:52 PM
I signed up on muspy and there's nothing more than that. There's been an ongoing rumour the new album would be Eros after they debuted Smile at Dia de los Deftones. That and Terry being on board must have fed the rumour. I believe someone who bought the rumour put that up on muspy. I'm not buying it. But who knows?

Keep in mind though...

After Koi No Yokan's follow-up album Gore was released in 2016, Moreno seemed less interested in finishing Eros citing the unfinished album's poor quality. He said he "wasn't too happy with the material we had" and that "some of the music was lacking a little bit".[23] Moreno elaborated:

"   I had faith it was going to come together and be great in the end, but we never got to that point. Once Chi had his accident, everything came to a halt with the Eros sessions, so the idea of going back to that batch of songs, finishing them and have Sergio learn Chi's parts just hasn't felt like something that we're interested in doing. If the record were finished and we were just sitting on it, we probably would have put it out by now, maybe even given it away, just so that people can hear it, but it would take a lot more work to get it done. But when we get together, we're much more fascinated with where we are in this moment, trying to create something new.

(from Wikipedia)

Someday...

Papa Prune

Well, as much as I like Deftones like all of you here. As much as I was disappointed by Gore (production wise). And as much as I would this new record to come out sooner than later, i just want to cheer with our 5 boys. I can be a troll on their social media accounts, but I just want to say thank you to Chino, Abe, Franck and Steph (and Sergio also but not on this one). Because I'll always remember that Chino gave us Smile for free on YouTube. I think the boys are like all of us, normal human beings with love of music. They are just tied up by their Pr bullshit/record company to greenlight the release. At this point, I hope they'll announce a surprise release, not the usual teasing, followed by a single track, then ruining the  experience for most of us. I'm fed up with this trend.

And since I'm French, you'll excuse me for my mistakes/bad English. I know our Americans fellows here who have tickets for their summer US run are still hoping. But know that their June/ July Europeantour is mainly cancelled. I Was supposed to see them at Hellfest. But it's cancelled. And Belgium and Germany shows are cancelled too. Spain and Italy are still showing, but they'll soon be cancelled. My fingers are crossedd for you Americans.

illthrowROCKS@U

I really hope we do see Eros one day. Melanie, Smile, and what we've heard of Dallas are just too good to pass up official releases.

As for production on Gore, I actually dig it. I know that's the most common criticism, but I already listen to a lot of lo-fi alternative rock, so it doesn't really bother me. It even adds some charm to the songs for me.
9/26/10 - Patriot Center
5/22/11 - Sunset Cove Amphitheater
8/7/12 - Verizon Center
10/26/12 - Ram's Head Live
3/8/13 - House of Blues
10/8/13 - Baltimore Arena
7/31/15 - The Fillmore
8/8/15 - Susquehanna Bank Center
8/3/16 - Pier Six Pavillion
6/14/17 - MGM National Harbor
5/17/22 - The Anthem

LG95

I actually don't think Melanie's that good. Similar main rhythm to RatsRatsRats but the song isn't as epic, interesting or visceral.

Smile is incredible though and "Dallas" (if it is called that) sounds really cool.
I could float here forever

illthrowROCKS@U

Quote from: LG95 on Apr 16, 2020, 08:24 PM
I actually don't think Melanie's that good. Similar main rhythm to RatsRatsRats but the song isn't as epic, interesting or visceral.

Smile is incredible though and "Dallas" (if it is called that) sounds really cool.

Yeah Melanie is definitely inspired by Ratsx3. But I love that song and I love SNW in general, and I love when Deftones do their "beauty meets ugly" thing in such a stark way. Maybe it's a second rate Ratsx3, but it still sounds awesome to me!

And I think Smile is the best song they've put out since SNW.
9/26/10 - Patriot Center
5/22/11 - Sunset Cove Amphitheater
8/7/12 - Verizon Center
10/26/12 - Ram's Head Live
3/8/13 - House of Blues
10/8/13 - Baltimore Arena
7/31/15 - The Fillmore
8/8/15 - Susquehanna Bank Center
8/3/16 - Pier Six Pavillion
6/14/17 - MGM National Harbor
5/17/22 - The Anthem

Papa Prune

From my POV, Melanie = Lotion=elite= wgtb=rats= poltergeist =doomed user.
I like this side of deftones . It's their mandatory ultra violent song. For me , lotion is a banger. Poltergeist and doomed user are good. Elite, wgtb and rats are meh. But Melanie seems really good, though it's something that you know deftones can write whenever they want.

And Smile... one of my favourite. What a song.... I do wish we could have a proper recording of it.

Inkblades

Melanie KNOCKS to me. I mean I can see the similarities to other songs (Rapture and Poltergeist, in particular) but that shit still goes hard.

Inkblades

Vesanic

Safe to say it's coming out next year? So cool to see an actual, direct update as opposed to the usual mystique material.

sharinglungs

Quote from: Vesanic on Apr 17, 2020, 02:47 AM
Safe to say it's coming out next year? So cool to see an actual, direct update as opposed to the usual mystique material.

I don't think it's safe to say next year at all. I'd say fall is a safe bet. Depending on how long Mixing takes... Mastering takes a day... then promo - release is at least 3 months

Papa Prune

Don't be that optimistic Vesanic. Mixing in April 2020= release in January... 2022.

Let's not forget deftones time is not the same as human time.

God

Two more years.

Vesanic

I think the mixing is basically done but they need to get together in a room to listen to it and see where they go from there. It's logistically complicated as it is, but the virus makes it impossible.

Inkblades

It does seem like they have been mixing for awhile, but they probably want it as close to perfect after Gore.

Hidalgo

Quote from: Inkblades on Apr 18, 2020, 12:03 AM
It does seem like they have been mixing for awhile, but they probably want it as close to perfect after Gore.

yea. Gore has good writing, and good songs, but bad production. doesn't sound good loud. Terry will make this album sound really good