Sharing Lungs - Deftones Online Community

tool

Started by Justin_UGR, Oct 19, 2005, 12:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

sleeptraveler

Quote from: Oldnewtype on May 01, 2006, 07:33 PM
go write something better, then.

Oh, wait...

Was that supposed to be some kind of biting remark?  You shouldn't feel so threatened by someone with an opinion that differs from your own.

Like I said in my original post (I thought it was fairly clear), I don't hate the cd.  I quite like two of the songs.  I suppose I'm not so easily satisfied.  It's a good and bad thing.

More power to those who enjoy it.  I wish I could bring my expectations to that level.

Oh well.  It's just a cd.

Paint Your Lips

It's not about expectations, they only kills an album. I mean, if you've already set the standard in your head, and it's not met, you can only be disapointed.

And it's not "just a cd". That's the most demeaning thing to say. This album is killer. The riffs are nice, Danny is an amazing drummer. His talent isn't something you can deny. And the whole atmosphere, songs like 10.000 Days and Intension takes the listener to another level. If you let yourself dive into it that is.

sleeptraveler

Well, arent standards set by past releases?  Therefore one is going in with a certain amount of expectation.  It's only natural.

Like I said, I do wish I could lower mine.  If that reads like I'm being a smart ass, it's not my intent.  I have a tendency to hold artists I admire to a very high standard and perhaps that is unfair. 

And you're right it's not just a cd.  Theyre still only mp3s at this point.  :P

punkmofugger

three mp3's from coachella last night are posted here:
http://www.distortiononline.com/mp3/
right click-save as.. to dl

deftonekid

Quote from: punkmofugger on May 01, 2006, 10:30 PM

downloading now...

is the quality good?

Paint Your Lips

@ SleepTraveler
Of course the artwork helps for some, me especially. I love the whole package so to speak. :)

I don't see you as a smart ass, i just feel sorry for you, that you can't enjoy the new album. I love all their albums. Of course some are better than others, and 10.000 Days isn't at the top. But, i love the whole album, and i just hope you'll grow to love it aswell.

My Tool album rank:
Lateralus
Aenima / 10.000 Days (i think i can't decide because 10.000 D is new)
Undertow

Thanks, punkmofugger !

deftonekid

Quote from: Paint Your Lips on May 01, 2006, 10:35 PM
@ SleepTraveler
Of course the artwork helps for some, me especially. I love the whole package so to speak. :)

I don't see you as a smart ass, i just feel sorry for you, that you can't enjoy the new album. I love all their albums. Of course some are better than others, and 10.000 Days isn't at the top. But, i love the whole album, and i just hope you'll grow to love it aswell.

My Tool album rank:
Lateralus
Aenima / 10.000 Days (i think i can't decide because 10.000 D is new)
Undertow

Thanks, punkmofugger !

my album rank:

lateralus
10,000 days
aenima
opiate
undertow

punkmofugger

Quote from: deftonekid on May 01, 2006, 10:33 PM

downloading now...

is the quality good?
yes pretty good!! only the pot is a bit distorted..but it's cool!!

Phatboy41

I agree, I think that past released albums set standards.  That's why bands have such long careers, because their fans set a standard and the demolish it or don't even come close to meeting it.  I don't deny that Tool or many other bands don't care about what we might like becuase it may take from their ability to write a great album, which is why I said it was my "personal opinion."  To stray people from feeling I was saying that the album would suck for everyone who even touched it.  I don't deny that Tool has talent either, I know they do, that's why I love them so much.  I was just saying that 10,000 Days didn't quite hit me as hard as I'd hoped.

Azwethinkweiz

Quote from: deftonekid on May 01, 2006, 10:38 PM
my album rank:

lateralus
10,000 days
aenima
undertow
opiate

that's my list. nothing will beat Lateralus. That album is perfection.

deftonekid

Quote from: Azwethinkweiz on May 01, 2006, 10:48 PM
Quote from: deftonekid on May 01, 2006, 10:38 PM
my album rank:

lateralus
10,000 days
aenima
undertow
opiate

yeah no doubt about it!!!!

sleeptraveler

Quote from: Paint Your Lips on May 01, 2006, 10:35 PM
@ SleepTraveler

Oh, definitely.

Gaz

Thanks man, im downloading them now.

Paint Your Lips

Quote from: Azwethinkweiz on May 01, 2006, 10:48 PM
I agree. The Patient, Ticks and Leeches, The Grudge, Schism, Parabola, my Jebus, everything is perfect !

Lateralus is not going to be beaten. If they do, i will surely cream my pants, when they release a new album in 8 years.

deftonekid

Quote from: Paint Your Lips on May 01, 2006, 11:17 PM
Lateralus is not going to be beaten. If they do, i will surely cream my pants, when they release a new album in 8 years.

haha probably!

punkmofugger

Quote from: Ghost of a Bullet on May 01, 2006, 11:11 PM

Thanks man, im downloading them now.
Jambi is up too!!

black coffee

thanks a lot for the link.

Chrisbo

Yeah, so after 30 or 40 listenings, I think it's safe to say that this album is a masterpiece in my opinion! Of course there was never any doubts about that haha! But yeah, I love it!

My favourite tracks are probably Wings For Marie/10,000 Days (these two beside each other are perfect, there is just a nice sound floating all the way through, and the way it progresses is great!), Right In Two (simply a classic sounding Tool song right here), The Pot (Maynard's voice sounds so fresh and clear in this song, which is cool), Jambi (man I love the introduction, nice and meaty and jagged rhythm).

This album is shaping up to be the best new album I've heard in years (even better than With Teeth and Leviathan). Not sure where it lands in the Tool spectrum yet, but man...speechless!

Quote from: Chino Moreno
You are as cool as you tell yourself you are...everybody just do what you do...have a good time...don't walk around being a punk...walk around and be excited...live your life

Gaz

the part in Jambi where it kicks in just before the talkbox solo is fucking awesome, your right Chrisbo this album IS a masterpiece!

Anyone found anymore bootlegs yet?

law

I'm preferring 10K Days to any other at the moment, kinda predictable... but for the vocals are so damn strong it just blows me away.