Sharing Lungs - Deftones Online Community

tool

Started by Justin_UGR, Oct 19, 2005, 12:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chrisbo

Quote from: sleeptraveler on May 03, 2006, 08:13 PM
So no one else fucking HATES the 'breakdowns' in the songs?  

Did they intentionally set out to ruin the few good tunes on the cd?

There are great moments, quickly followed by absolutely terrible, lazy attempts at (What I assume the band to see as 'interesting') structure changes.  '10,000 Days' being a prime example:  An emotionally epic builder, only to shift radically after the crescendo, to Maynard (backed by comical, amateur guitar work) half-singing "Oooh, oooh...".  Did anyone else laugh at this point in the song or was it just me?  Completely and utterly shits all over a great song.  This is where I hit the skip button.

Just awful.  

What's actually ruined this album for is this seemingly frivolous, forced need to throw pointless, uninteresting changes into the songs.  These are the kind of things a new band might do in practice, as they're finding their footing and sound.  The kinds of things you throw away and don't ever record becaus they don't add anything to the song.  They actually take you away and out of the moment.

Yeah.  This album is only getting worse for me.  I don't think I'll be listening to it again.  And I really wanted to like this thing.  What a Total.  Fucking.  Letdown.

Haha, man it's funny how different my opinion is to yours! Fair do's man, but christ that was harsh!

Quote from: Chino Moreno
You are as cool as you tell yourself you are...everybody just do what you do...have a good time...don't walk around being a punk...walk around and be excited...live your life

fireflyry

Damn son.

I'm not digging this album compared to earlier work and agreed with some earlier comments you made but that is a bit harsh not to mention that any long term Tool fan knows the albums grow with time not get worse.When not compared to other Tool work I would rate this album as killer.

I don't think I'll be listening to it again. 

Your loss I guess and each to their own.

Quote from: tiger modeThats why we're all here. Deftones - common ground.

Paint Your Lips

Sleeptraveler, alright, now it just seems you're trying to offend people who actually opened their mind to see the greatness of this album. You totally narrowed your mind and absolutely refuses to let the album grow on you.

What is it with you; You don't like changes in songs? What the fuck? There's nothing more mindnumbing than a song that has the same fucking drive or rythm for 4-7 minutes.

Sorry, i was cool with your opinion before, now it just seems like you wanna ruin it for the rest of us.

alvarezbassist17

i really like the album so far, the songs are great.  i dunno how i feel about the whole flow of it so far or how the songs fit together, but i haven't listened to it more than 10 times all of the way through.  i definitely hear a lot of apc in maynard's voice now, but also a lot of old school influence, like the way he sang on undertow and aenema as opposed to the more subdued, monotonous (not in a bad way) tone he took on lateralus.  so far i don't know if i'll like it more than lateralus, that album just has an absolutely perfect flow for me and all of the theories and everything behind it blow my mind, but it's really, really good.

alvarezbassist17

There are great moments, quickly followed by absolutely terrible, lazy attempts at (What I assume the band to see as 'interesting') structure changes.  '10,000 Days' being a prime example:  An emotionally epic builder, only to shift radically after the crescendo, to Maynard (backed by comical, amateur guitar work) half-singing "Oooh, oooh...".  Did anyone else laugh at this point in the song or was it just me?  Completely and utterly shits all over a great song.  This is where I hit the skip button.

Just awful. 

What's actually ruined this album for is this seemingly frivolous, forced need to throw pointless, uninteresting changes into the songs.  These are the kind of things a new band might do in practice, as they're finding their footing and sound.  The kinds of things you throw away and don't ever record becaus they don't add anything to the song.  They actually take you away and out of the moment.

Yeah.  This album is only getting worse for me.  I don't think I'll be listening to it again.  And I really wanted to like this thing.  What a Total.  Fucking.  Letdown.

hang on, let me get the backhoe for your sandy vagina.

blue_silver

... wow, I have such mixed feelings on this album...

it has some great moments but most of the album thus far leaves me a little bored and disappointed... well hopefully it will grow on me some more...
who pays any attention
to the syntax of things
will never wholly kiss you...

ee cummings

Oldnewtype

There are great moments, quickly followed by absolutely terrible, lazy attempts at (What I assume the band to see as 'interesting') structure changes.  '10,000 Days' being a prime example:  An emotionally epic builder, only to shift radically after the crescendo, to Maynard (backed by comical, amateur guitar work) half-singing "Oooh, oooh...".  Did anyone else laugh at this point in the song or was it just me?  Completely and utterly shits all over a great song.  This is where I hit the skip button.

Just awful.  

What's actually ruined this album for is this seemingly frivolous, forced need to throw pointless, uninteresting changes into the songs.  These are the kind of things a new band might do in practice, as they're finding their footing and sound.  The kinds of things you throw away and don't ever record becaus they don't add anything to the song.  They actually take you away and out of the moment.

Yeah.  This album is only getting worse for me.  I don't think I'll be listening to it again.  And I really wanted to like this thing.  What a Total.  Fucking.  Letdown.

AHHHHHHHAHAHAHHAHAHA!!!

Just like the Team Sleep release

sleeptraveler

Quote from: alvarezbassist17 on May 03, 2006, 10:24 PMhang on, let me get the backhoe for your sandy vagina.

Awww, how cute.  And original too!

I bet your MySpace is awesome.

Anyway, I've just grown out of this band.  I was hoping for something more.  Didn't get it.  No big deal.  Life goes on you know?  I'll refrain from posting anymore about it.

Gaz

Quote from: sleeptraveler on May 04, 2006, 12:22 AM
Quote from: alvarezbassist17 on May 03, 2006, 10:24 PMhang on, let me get the backhoe for your sandy vagina.

Anyway, I've just grown out of this band.  I was hoping for something more.  Didn't get it.  No big deal.  Life goes on you know?  I'll refrain from posting anymore about it.

your loss

sleeptraveler

Well, considering I'll save my money by not purchasing the CD, and my time by no longer listening...

It's more like my gain.  ;)

law

Quote from: sleeptraveler on May 04, 2006, 01:40 AM
Well, considering I'll save my money by not purchasing the CD, and my time by no longer listening...

It's more like my gain.  ;)

fuck u trash mouth ;)

greencard

10,00 days.
wow.

After reading the reviews I was expecting something else, like I would need to listen to it a few times like "Lateralus" to like it.
But instead I liked 10,000 days the 1st time I listened to it.

In fact I would go so far as to say it's TOOLs best album yet. I mean over all best album. There's probably more songs I like (well so far) on the older albums, but what made 10,000 days good is it didn't have alot of small filler non-songs b/t songs. And I think song to song it was better than "Lateralus"

Some of the songs did kinda sound like older TOOL stuff, but so what. It's still good.

And I realized that one of the riffs in "Vicarious" sounded like Load-era Metallica. Like the breakdown sorta to "Poor Bleeding Me"

Now to see what the video(s) are gonna look like and to hear them live w/ the new stuff. Something about 10,000 days reminded me of being in the parking lot for Greatful Dead shows. lol ;)

Fireal1222

ok here we go

the first 4 songs are absolutely killer in every way!

The Pot, especially the beginning, is just annoying to me. im sorry.

Lipan Conjuring, and Lost Keys (Blame Hoffman) are fucking amazing.

Rosetta Stoned isnt a favorite of mine

the last 3 songs end the album well.

i think the beginning of the album starts as everything ive hoped for, and then just kinda fades from there. the moments the album has are amazing, but u have to search for hte parts that really suck u in

usually the guitar solos were the best parts of the songs. the end of jambi has an insane solo

I'm Not Here.
This Isn't Happening.

deftonekid

the pot
vicarious
&
right in two

best 10,000 days songs!

defskull

Quote from: sleeptraveler on May 04, 2006, 12:22 AM

Man you have such a small penis. It is not even funny.

NYGANG_EDDI

I find the best way to feel an album is to actually listen to it in your car. Right now I'm finding Vicarious to be a sick single, but im worried its gonna become boring later as I hear it everyone where now, but ill always come back to it. Right now I still need to do some driving to get through all of it but this what im feeling about the alum. It feels like its an extension of their old album as you can catch some of the old familiar rifts here and there. this album is feeling like a "SESSION" album to me right now, and I dont mind them jamming just cuz its TOOL. Well Im sure ill get through all of it, right im im trying to just stick to listen to it strictly while im in the car even though I did download the leak  :P. I hope to find more favorite tracks, rock on  ::)

deftonekid

Quote from: NYGANG_EDDI on May 04, 2006, 07:04 AM
I find the best way to feel an album is to actually listen to it in your car. Right now I'm finding Vicarious to be a sick single, but im worried its gonna become boring later as I hear it everyone where now, but ill always come back to it. Right now I still need to do some driving to get through all of it but this what im feeling about the alum. It feels like its an extension of their old album as you can catch some of the old familiar rifts here and there. this album is feeling like a "SESSION" album to me right now, and I dont mind them jamming just cuz its TOOL. Well Im sure ill get through all of it, right im im trying to just stick to listen to it strictly while im in the car even though I did download the leak  :P. I hope to find more favorite tracks, rock on  ::)

nice just be quiet and drive!

alvarezbassist17

Quote from: Fireal1222 on May 04, 2006, 04:57 AM
ok here we go

the first 4 songs are absolutely killer in every way!

The Pot, especially the beginning, is just annoying to me. im sorry.

Lipan Conjuring, and Lost Keys (Blame Hoffman) are fucking amazing.

Rosetta Stoned isnt a favorite of mine

the last 3 songs end the album well.

i think the beginning of the album starts as everything ive hoped for, and then just kinda fades from there. the moments the album has are amazing, but u have to search for hte parts that really suck u in

usually the guitar solos were the best parts of the songs. the end of jambi has an insane solo

dude, you gotta listen to the pot again, it's really really good.  i swear.

deftonekid

Quote from: alvarezbassist17 on May 04, 2006, 07:09 AM
dude, you gotta listen to the pot again, it's really really good.  i swear.

agreed

Oldnewtype

word, The Pot and Lost Keys/Rosetta are both fucking awesome