Sharing Lungs - Deftones Online Community

tool

Started by Justin_UGR, Oct 19, 2005, 12:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

eZe^

Quote from: deathblow on May 05, 2006, 05:30 PM
Quote from: Fireal1222 on May 05, 2006, 01:55 AM
i think your way off

i think lost keys (blame hoffman), is a continuation of the story that TOOL has told from album to album. lost keys is referring back to the song, "the patient", the band are letting us understand more about how the story begins and ends.

Quote from: Fireal1222 on May 05, 2006, 01:55 AM
i think your way off

i think lost keys (blame hoffman), is a continuation of the story that TOOL has told from album to album. lost keys is referring back to the song, "the patient", the band are letting us understand more about how the story begins and ends.

well im not WAAAAAAAAAAAY off... i mean how do you or i know?  just lost keys... haha cmon man.  anyways.  i know im dead on for rosetta.    E MOTHERFUCIN' T

i dont think your way off at all,tool songs are interpreted differently by everyone,maynard says that in nearly all his interviews,and i personally agree with your theory,seeing as hofmann is the guy who discovered lsd...

Planet X>Dream Theater

sleeptraveler

Quote from: jujuslim on May 05, 2006, 05:16 AM
Bought the new Tool on May 3rd,  listened to the whole album, stayed up for eight hours puking all night long!                    Biggest disappointment so far this year...    Man what a bummer :'(   

Awesome.

4th Eye

So I finally listened the whole album and I felt like "that was it?" and was a bit disappointed but I think it'll grow on me the more I listen to it. The 3D-pics were cool though.

Eikaf

i agree with all of your thoughts. i woke up that day looking forward to the cd. got to work walked out a bit early. grabbed the cd got back to work and was in my own littler world the rest of the day. tool with 10,000 does it again. taking you into another vunerable spot within and showing you the way out. amazing amazing amazing album. nothing like any of their other stuff. and i think thats where all these so called music critics go wrong. they just dont get it. every cd done by tool is like their first cd ever done. its never the same its never a sequel to a previous cd. there are no part 2's or revsisted. this is the problem with the music industry. most bands make one great song and then make a billion songs with the same structure, musical buildup and lyrical content. not tool. every song except for wings and 10,000 days because its really one big song. other than those two no songs are like that. they give you something different on each track. well all im all buy this cd. it might just open you up to real music and real musicians. two thumbs up a fun family film. a billion out of 10 the best album of 2006 period!

eZe^

Quote from: Eikaf on May 05, 2006, 09:35 PM
i agree with all of your thoughts. i woke up that day looking forward to the cd. got to work walked out a bit early. grabbed the cd got back to work and was in my own littler world the rest of the day. tool with 10,000 does it again. taking you into another vunerable spot within and showing you the way out. amazing amazing amazing album. nothing like any of their other stuff. and i think thats where all these so called music critics go wrong. they just dont get it. every cd done by tool is like their first cd ever done. its never the same its never a sequel to a previous cd. there are no part 2's or revsisted. this is the problem with the music industry. most bands make one great song and then make a billion songs with the same structure, musical buildup and lyrical content. not tool. every song except for wings and 10,000 days because its really one big song. other than those two no songs are like that. they give you something different on each track. well all im all buy this cd. it might just open you up to real music and real musicians. two thumbs up a fun family film. a billion out of 10 the best album of 2006 period!

nah,what i think is that the critics dont know tool well enough,they arent listening to the album more than 6 times...with tool everytime you listen to them they get better,i dunno,its like their unhuman....and to all the critics reviewing after one listening and saying its shit-dont worry,their only the greatest band ever,your not missing much!!! Although i thought it was amazing from the  very first song,but im pretty easy to please,especially when its tool  :D

Planet X>Dream Theater

law

yuppaz. its growing on me all the time.

deftonekid

damn i want to see the album art, but here in mexico the album will arrive around may 20th :(

Fireal1222

i listened to the album 5 times now. and i must say it almost there best work

its really really amazing. i dont understand how it didnt blow me away the first time i heard it

I'm Not Here.
This Isn't Happening.

Fireal1222

oh, i feel more of a pink floyd influence on 10,000days  than on any other of there albums.

if u listen closely u can hear a british man talking in the background of one of the songs, i forget which one ( not the doctor in lost keys )

but the british man speaking sounds like the exact same dude who speaks in the background of darkside of the moon

I'm Not Here.
This Isn't Happening.

Azwethinkweiz

^ I was thinking the exact same thing (with the british man)

ToneDef

ToneDef

Im listening through for the third time. I'm not gonna really make any fast judgements as I know it's gonna take some time to digest it. Listening to it 40 times in a row doesn't really do much I find. I have to listen, forget about it, let it sink in and then revisit in a little while so I can bite off another chunk to digest.

ToneDef

Quote from: Assassin on May 04, 2006, 03:16 PM
Well, I just listened to it, I tried to give it a chance, I really did, especially in light of the fact that Maynard actually sounded like his own gender in this song, but I'm just totally unimpressed. I guess Tool is just one of those bands you either love or hate.

Don't take this as an insult at all.

From what I have read of your posts, and I do read them, it seems your in a certain place in music to me. You listen to bands like Muse, Metallica, Trivium etc. I'm not holding that against you at all. But those are prime 'starting out' bands. Especially in Britain. I started on bands like Nirvana, Green Day, Machine Head etc. Same kinda easy listening bands to get you into Rock/Metal. I'm sure I've read somewhere you're relatively new to the kind of Rock/Metal scene. If you're not then disregard this post entirely.

My point is that eventually you will find your taste progressing. When I first listened to Tool my ears were more used to that kind of versechorusverse style and as a result it was kind of in one ear and out the other. Just a kind of bland heavy noise.

Now though I fucking love them and have done for quite some time. It just takes time to kind of develop your tastes. It can be just one little sound, like a 2 second part of an album to spark off an emotion and then the rest just builds from there.

I'm not trying to be all high and mighty by the way. I'm just saying, you know?

Assassin

I've been listening to bands like Linkin Park, SOAD and Muse for years, but only since around Autumn last year, when I was discovering Deftones and a few other generally better bands, have I actually got into rock and metal in a big way. Now it's all I listen to. So yeah, you could say I'm relatively new to it (and was even more of a noob when I first registered here), but I've come a long way thanks to certain members on the board, and also an active interest I've taken in discovering new bands. So yeah I really don't think that's the reason why I'm not keen on Tool. You mentioned that 'When I first listened to Tool my ears were more used to that kind of versechorusverse style'. I'm guessing you are referring to the prog-rock style of Tool's music, where the 'versechorusverse' construct does not usually apply. Well, again I have to say, this definitely isn't why I don't like Tool - thanks to law I've recently had the immense pleasure of listening to Dream Theater, a progressive metal band, whose song structures are far from the typical versechorusverse style you referred to, and if anything it makes their music infinitely more interesting. There are so many bands out their whose music bores me completely after just one minute of a 4 minute song, and yet I can sit and listen to songs by Dream Theater that are as long as 23 minutes but are so rich and interesting that it feels as if the song is only 4 minutes long.

I'll give you a list of a few bands from my iTunes library, to prove to you that although I do like 'starting out' bands like the ones you mentioned, my taste extends beyond that:

At The Gates
Avenged Sevenfold
Biohazard
Black Label Society
Carcass
Chevelle
Children Of Bodom
Deftones (obviously)
Diablo
Dream Theater
Glassjaw
In Flames
Lamb Of God
Machine Head
Mastodon
Megadeth
Meshuggah (I'm loving Destroy, Erase, Improve)
Metallica
Muse
Nirvana
Oceansize
Pantera
Poison The Well
Rage Against The Machine
Savatage
Sepultura
Thrice
Trivium
Unearth
Yngwie Malmsteen.

Btw, I have to give credit to a few people from the board for introducing me to some of the above bands, they know who they are.

My dislike of Tool relates to the fact that I really don't like Maynard's voice. From what I've heard of their actual music, it's good quality stuff and I'm not dissing them for that or trying to say they're a crap band or whatever. They're just not my cup of tea.

Btw, if from the above bands you can make any recommendations of other good bands that you reckon I might like, please do! I will openly admit I'm a rookie when it comes to rock and metal, so the help is always appreciated.

4th Eye

Quote from: ToneDef on May 06, 2006, 01:27 PM
My point is that eventually you will find your taste progressing.

Maybe not progressing but expanding. Well, at least that's the case with me. In the 90's I was a bit narrow-minded concerning music but now I listen to everything. It just takes time, a second or tenth listening, a pause and another listen. When I first heard Ænema, I thought it was a nice rock song but nothing more and after few years I was in love with the song. Actually all the best bands don't hit you instantly.

Quote from: Assassin on May 06, 2006, 02:27 PM
Btw, if from the above bands you can make any recommendations of other good bands that you reckon I might like, please do!

Of course I can. ;)
Btw, what did you listen to before you got into rock/metal except for those three bands you mentioned?

Anyway, the new album is getting better...now I'm listening to Undertow and soon get back to 10KD for the third time. I agree with Tonedef there that 40 times repeated would probably do no good.

Assassin

Quote from: 4th Eye on May 06, 2006, 02:57 PMBtw, what did you listen to before you got into rock/metal except for those three bands you mentioned?

You mean which genres did I listen to? Well it was a mixture of hip hop/rap, RnB and what I thought was rock/metal at the time, but later realised was more like nu-metal. If you mean bands, I listened to Evanescence, some Limp Bizkit, Papa Roach and that kind of stuff. To be honest, I didn't take much of an interest in music back then, I never realised that the music industry potentially had a lot more to offer than the crap they played on Kerrang TV on repeat. Thankfully I have been enlightened now, at least to a certain extent.

Quote from: 4th Eye on May 06, 2006, 02:57 PM
Quote from: Assassin on May 06, 2006, 02:27 PM
Btw, if from the above bands you can make any recommendations of other good bands that you reckon I might like, please do!

Of course I can. ;)

Go ahead. ;D

4th Eye

Yeah, I had a hiphop-phase (Cypress Hill, Wu-Tang, Ice Cube etc) ten years ago too and then came the rap/rock to metal (RATM, Korn, Deftones, Slipknot) season.

I'll put some recommendations into your thread. Don't want this to get too off-topic.

Assassin

Yeah good point. Sorry for spamming the thread people.

Chrisbo

Well Zaz I've got to give props for the Mastodon, Oceansize and Thrice aspect of your list!

Anyway guess if you dont like Maynards voice then that's kinda it, although for years my mate hated Deftones mainly because of Chino's voice, now he loves them! Of course with both, the voice is the main driving point of the machine, if you know what I mean!

10,000 Days is the absolute shit yo! Haha! And yeah it's definitely a grower, when I first heard it, I was like this is cool shit, now I fucking love it!

Quote from: Chino Moreno
You are as cool as you tell yourself you are...everybody just do what you do...have a good time...don't walk around being a punk...walk around and be excited...live your life

lithium royalty

assassin likes it HARD!