Sharing Lungs - Deftones Online Community

tool

Started by Justin_UGR, Oct 19, 2005, 12:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

deftoolsys07

Check out my soundcloud/ facebook page with some music...

http://soundcloud.com/dan-koetter/

333tone

Quote from: Fireal1222 on May 13, 2006, 09:57 AM
my favorite song so far is Jambi.. that guitar solo at the end is just perfect

If you think my castle  is built on sand, Well bring on the tides, You can fuck off and die. If you think my patience is ocean vast, Or river deep, You can fuck off and die.

Jacob

I've been saving my 10,000th post for a review of the new album and now I feel I've listened to it enough to form a real opinion on it. so here goes...

first of all, I really think this was the natural and nearly perfect way to move on from Lateralus. sure, it would've been exciting to see Tool do something as completely different as their previous albums have been from each other. but I can't really see them moving in any more directions without losing what they're all about. with this album it seems like they built from Lateralus and added some old Aenima-era sounds while also exploring new grounds. now for a short review of each song...

1. Vicarious --- this song got me hooked right away. it's nice to see Tool make a catchy song while still doing their thing. my favorite parts are when he goes "she used the poison in his tea" and the final chorus or what you wanna call it. the only thing I don't love about this song is Maynard's "whispering" vocals. I prefer when he sings clean.

2. Jambi --- at first this was the only song that didn't speak to me at all. but it quickly became one of my favorites once I got a grasp of it. I love the mellower parts where the guitar play that monotone riff and the bass plays the melody. and, of course, the heavy part and the following solo. the entire song is kinda like a neverending build-up, and even though it feels like the epic ending never comes it isn't annoying in any way. it just flows so well from beginning to end.

3. Wings for Marie --- at this point, I can easily say this is my least favorite song off of the album. it's not bad, not at all. but it just doesn't stand out to me. when it finally kicks off towards the end it's pretty cool but I always expect more to follow.

4. 10,000 Days --- after listening to the 6+ min "intro" or whatever you want to call it, this song really annoyd me at first. I expected this to be the heavy one of the two tracks, but I guess that would've been too obvious. after listening many times I'm starting to like this song a lot more. especially when it starts getting more intensive. I still haven't decided if they managed to pull this 17+ minute epic off or not.... somehow I feel they damn nearly did, but not completely. I would've been satisfied with only the second part.

5. The Pot --- after first listen I liked this song most of all. then after every following listen I quickly got more and more bored with it. it's still a kick ass song and I think it'd be perfect as the second single. it's just that one song on the album that didn't last as long as the rest. I dunno, it might just be me, but I feel a strong Zeppelin-vibe from this song and I think that's pretty fucking cool. I think this was the most surprising song on the album for me.

6. Lipan Conjuring --- although I'm a sucker for world music, especially stuff like this, this really feels like unnecessary filler. I think it would've fit in better between 10,000 Days and The Pot, with the tribal feel of the first song and the chant-like intro of the latter.

7. Lost Keys --- for me, this is the beginning of the absolute peak of the album. I absolutely fucking love this song. it's so atmospheric and simply beautiful. the dialouge between the nurse and the doctor is a perfect intro to the wild trip that follows.

8. Rosetta Stoned --- starts off perfectly and then only gets better and better. there's not one part of this song I don't absolutely love. the lyrics are awesome, maynard's vocals are awesome and the music is awesome. this is now easily one of my favorite Tool songs and the moment the entire album builds up to. they really managed to make this song sound really fucking creepy. maybe that has to do with me being obsessed with (and frightened of) the thought of aliens, haha. but you can really hear how desperate and out of his mind the person telling the story is.

9. Intension --- like the calm after the storm this song is just really soothing and relaxing. the electronic drums that come in after a while are really cool. this is the only song on the album that kinda gives me an APC vibe. but you can still hear it's Danny behind the drums.

10. Right In Two --- a nearly perfect calm ending to an otherwise very intensive album. I love the lyrics and the way Maynard sings them. the "chorus" is pretty damn good. the only thing I have to say really is that I think I would've preferred if the entire song was as chilled out and mellow as the beginning. the heavier part towards the end feels a bit unnecessary to me. but it's still cool.

11. Viginti Tres --- dunno really what to say about this. dunno really what Tool wanted to say with this either.

throughout the whole album you can hear that each member has progressed a bit. hard to tell if it's new influences, improved skills or just the lust for experimenting. but you can hear it clearly on pretty much every song. it kinda feels like Adam has taken a step back actually. and I don't mean skill wise, I just mean that the guitars aren't as big and prominent as before. but maybe that's just me... as for Danny, I love how he's mixing up his unearthly technical stuff with some basic rock'n'roll beats here and there. this is also definitely different than before.

right now I don't really know where I'd place this album in my Tool top 5. I listen to it a whole lot more than the other albums, obviously. but only time will tell if it beats Lateralus. it will never beat Aenima imo.
pray nightfall release me
then i could wander, wander to deep sleep

Oldnewtype

Fireal1222

10,000 days is fucking amazing in every way.

first time i heard the album, i really didn't enjoy it all that much besides the song, 10,000 days..

anyway, after hearing the album plenty of times, heres my review like aenemics

Vicarious- amazing intro, the first 2 songs of this album make u think ur in for lateralus 2, and then you realize that this is something totally different. but anyway vicarious is a great way to start the album

Jambi- probably my favorite song on the album, the guitar solo at the end is just so awesome. the end of the song u get a lateralus feel, but then it goes away and the following songs sound much different than tool's earlier work

Wings for Marie 1 - the lyrics are just so awesome, and i think this song is great. nothing amazing, but great

Wings for Marie 2 10000 days- amazing song, everything about this song rocks, and it splits the album down the middle PERFECTLY

the pot - the first time i heard it i HATED IT. but now i absolutely love it and think its an amazing song. theres a point around the 2 minute mark of this song where i begin to feel it paint a picture

lipan conjuring - i disagree with aenemic, i think this song was very necessary on the album, and its placement in the track order is fine as well.

lost keys- i like this song alot, but it gets slightly old after a while, but i really love the atmospheric and psychadelic feel of the song

rosetta stoned- just like the pot, i hated this song when i first heard it, but now i fucking LOVE it..   i really think they do an amazing job with it live from the bootlegs ive heard. i wish i was seeing them

right in two- another amazing song, and i must say, tool can be chill, yet still heavy.. its hard to explain but even though the song starts off mellow, its very heavy emotionally

amazing album.

I'm Not Here.
This Isn't Happening.

KingCrimson

i love the lines "foot in mouth and head up asshole, watcha talkin bowwwwt?"
fuckin awesome

fireflyry

Quote from: aenemic on May 14, 2006, 07:34 PM
I've been saving my 10,000th post for a review of the new album and now I feel I've listened to it enough to form a real opinion on it. so here goes...

first of all, I really think this was the natural and nearly perfect way to move on from Lateralus. sure, it would've been exciting to see Tool do something as completely different as their previous albums have been from each other. but I can't really see them moving in any more directions without losing what they're all about. with this album it seems like they built from Lateralus and added some old Aenima-era sounds while also exploring new grounds. now for a short review of each song...

1. Vicarious --- this song got me hooked right away. it's nice to see Tool make a catchy song while still doing their thing. my favorite parts are when he goes "she used the poison in his tea" and the final chorus or what you wanna call it. the only thing I don't love about this song is Maynard's "whispering" vocals. I prefer when he sings clean.

2. Jambi --- at first this was the only song that didn't speak to me at all. but it quickly became one of my favorites once I got a grasp of it. I love the mellower parts where the guitar play that monotone riff and the bass plays the melody. and, of course, the heavy part and the following solo. the entire song is kinda like a neverending build-up, and even though it feels like the epic ending never comes it isn't annoying in any way. it just flows so well from beginning to end.

3. Wings for Marie --- at this point, I can easily say this is my least favorite song off of the album. it's not bad, not at all. but it just doesn't stand out to me. when it finally kicks off towards the end it's pretty cool but I always expect more to follow.

4. 10,000 Days --- after listening to the 6+ min "intro" or whatever you want to call it, this song really annoyd me at first. I expected this to be the heavy one of the two tracks, but I guess that would've been too obvious. after listening many times I'm starting to like this song a lot more. especially when it starts getting more intensive. I still haven't decided if they managed to pull this 17+ minute epic off or not.... somehow I feel they damn nearly did, but not completely. I would've been satisfied with only the second part.

5. The Pot --- after first listen I liked this song most of all. then after every following listen I quickly got more and more bored with it. it's still a kick ass song and I think it'd be perfect as the second single. it's just that one song on the album that didn't last as long as the rest. I dunno, it might just be me, but I feel a strong Zeppelin-vibe from this song and I think that's pretty fucking cool. I think this was the most surprising song on the album for me.

6. Lipan Conjuring --- although I'm a sucker for world music, especially stuff like this, this really feels like unnecessary filler. I think it would've fit in better between 10,000 Days and The Pot, with the tribal feel of the first song and the chant-like intro of the latter.

7. Lost Keys --- for me, this is the beginning of the absolute peak of the album. I absolutely fucking love this song. it's so atmospheric and simply beautiful. the dialouge between the nurse and the doctor is a perfect intro to the wild trip that follows.

8. Rosetta Stoned --- starts off perfectly and then only gets better and better. there's not one part of this song I don't absolutely love. the lyrics are awesome, maynard's vocals are awesome and the music is awesome. this is now easily one of my favorite Tool songs and the moment the entire album builds up to. they really managed to make this song sound really fucking creepy. maybe that has to do with me being obsessed with (and frightened of) the thought of aliens, haha. but you can really hear how desperate and out of his mind the person telling the story is.

9. Intension --- like the calm after the storm this song is just really soothing and relaxing. the electronic drums that come in after a while are really cool. this is the only song on the album that kinda gives me an APC vibe. but you can still hear it's Danny behind the drums.

10. Right In Two --- a nearly perfect calm ending to an otherwise very intensive album. I love the lyrics and the way Maynard sings them. the "chorus" is pretty damn good. the only thing I have to say really is that I think I would've preferred if the entire song was as chilled out and mellow as the beginning. the heavier part towards the end feels a bit unnecessary to me. but it's still cool.

11. Viginti Tres --- dunno really what to say about this. dunno really what Tool wanted to say with this either.

throughout the whole album you can hear that each member has progressed a bit. hard to tell if it's new influences, improved skills or just the lust for experimenting. but you can hear it clearly on pretty much every song. it kinda feels like Adam has taken a step back actually. and I don't mean skill wise, I just mean that the guitars aren't as big and prominent as before. but maybe that's just me... as for Danny, I love how he's mixing up his unearthly technical stuff with some basic rock'n'roll beats here and there. this is also definitely different than before.

right now I don't really know where I'd place this album in my Tool top 5. I listen to it a whole lot more than the other albums, obviously. but only time will tell if it beats Lateralus. it will never beat Aenima imo.

After reading endless reviews on forums over the last 2 weeks I have to say that yours was on point man.Nice to see you actually criticise points, song structure, etc as much as you praise.Personally nothing is worse than reading the endless fan reviews that are so ridiculously one sided you wonder how they fitted the keyboard up Tools backside as clearly that is where their head is.

Nice work and a worthy 10,000th post.

:)

Quote from: tiger modeThats why we're all here. Deftones - common ground.

skinnypuppy

ive listened to it three times now, and i will admit it gets slightly better every listen; but i really think everyone is just unwilling to admit that the cd isnt very good, so they find loopholes to make the cd okay since they were expecting something much better.

ToneDef

Quote from: skinnypuppy on May 15, 2006, 05:11 AM
ive listened to it three times now, and i will admit it gets slightly better every listen; but i really think everyone is just unwilling to admit that the cd isnt very good, so they find loopholes to make the cd okay since they were expecting something much better.

I'll freely admit I was expecting something that would sound different and catch on to me quicker.

However, this is better than what I expected. It's like a fine wine. I'm just trying to get to know every flavour it has to offer.

lithium royalty

speaking of wines, maynard makes and sells his own wines.

i'm not too good with words, but this album  is perfect.

maynard's vocal delivery is at times haunting, the line " this little light of mine, the gift you passed on to me, imma let it shine, to gaurd you on your way" is carried with so much pain.

emotivelotion

yay, crei que ibas a usar tu sign :(

law

Quote from: ToneDef on May 15, 2006, 05:22 AM

I'll freely admit I was expecting something that would sound different and catch on to me quicker.

However, this is better than what I expected. It's like a fine wine. I'm just trying to get to know every flavour it has to offer.

you pimpass :P

Chrisbo

I think someone should pop open a bottle of bubbly for aenemic!

10,000 posts, and a good review of the album!

Quote from: Chino Moreno
You are as cool as you tell yourself you are...everybody just do what you do...have a good time...don't walk around being a punk...walk around and be excited...live your life

Oldnewtype

I think you're getting good confused with technical

Jacob

Quote from: Chrisbo on May 15, 2006, 07:31 PM

haha, thanks man.

as for what skinnypuppy said... if you don't love an album at first listen but learn to love it after several listens, is that finding loopholes to make it good? if so, then sure... then I've found loopholes in every Tool album so far to make it good.

deftonekid

yeah cheers for the 10,000 posts and 10,000 days!

emotivelotion

Quote from: deftonekid on May 16, 2006, 04:49 AM

yeah cheers for the 10,000 posts and 10,000 days!

yay! we don't know each other, but congrats! ;D

Chrisbo

Quote from: aenemic on May 16, 2006, 01:40 AM

haha, thanks man.

as for what skinnypuppy said... if you don't love an album at first listen but learn to love it after several listens, is that finding loopholes to make it good? if so, then sure... then I've found loopholes in every Tool album so far to make it good.

Yeah man I totally agree! It is a given with Tool that the more you listen the more you get into it! Fair enough if it's not the same for everyone, but I think it's an overall consensus with most people! It's not about loopholes at all, well for me anyway!

Quote from: Chino Moreno
You are as cool as you tell yourself you are...everybody just do what you do...have a good time...don't walk around being a punk...walk around and be excited...live your life

4th Eye

Quote from: Chrisbo on May 16, 2006, 06:46 PM
Quote from: aenemic on May 16, 2006, 01:40 AM

haha, thanks man.

Yeah man I totally agree! It is a given with Tool that the more you listen the more you get into it! Fair enough if it's not the same for everyone, but I think it's an overall consensus with most people! It's not about loopholes at all, well for me anyway!

I think the best albums don't hit you instantly but grow on you and surpass the instant hits after a while. I've gotten bored of the bands that I loved from the first listen but now I love the bands that took some time to get into. Acquired tastes last longer.

And congrats aenemic! I was waiting for some nifty title after 10000 posts...like 'Ultimate geek'. :D

Jacob

haha, I wish...

it's amazing how not one single person has exceeded my post count yet considering I don't post that often anymore and haven't done so the last two years :-\

btw, 4th eye... I just heard Callisto for the first time ever a few minutes ago. awesome band!