Sharing Lungs - Deftones Online Community

Mixed Martial Arts Thread (UFC/Pride)

Started by lostcancer, Nov 21, 2005, 09:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

lostcancer

i just recently have really gotten into this stuff, ever since i saw my stupid fat cousin wear his tapout shirt everyday for about 8 months i was turned off for some reason haha... nah but its pretty awesome. Anybody else into it?

Edit: just saw people talk about this in sports thread.... man... deserves its own thread!

DarkHorse

I think 2006 is going to be a big year for mixed martial arts. More and more people are starting to see that it IS a real sport and not just about the violence. I already saw some people here hating on it but i'm pretty sure they don't really know much about it. It's not for everyone but just because you say you hate violence doesn't make it any less of a sport.

just had to get that out haha so rockedcancer gonna watch the new years eve pride?

lostcancer

vadimo

what the hell are u all talking about?

Gaz

Yup im into it big time, mainly UFC & Pride FC, UFC 56 was a bit of a so so show, but Franklin's KO on Nate was awesome.

I'm also starting to watch King of the Cage and some K1 Kickboxing

I can't get enought of it.

ToneDef

We used to get it over here in UK. I think we still do but it's not widely viewed. Anyway, all i fucking remember was that Tito Ortiz was a fucking badass. As was Frank Shamrock.

DarkHorse

yeah Frank Shamrock was awesome, sucks he doesn't care much for fighting these days. His fight with Tito Ortiz was exciting to watch.Have any of you seen it?

fightclubche

I used to have fights with these rules, now I only have submission matches once in awhile.

CentralIllNoise

yes...i'm a huge fan. i've seen all of the ufc's, and most of the Pride's. honestly Pride is really where it's at. UFC has a better welterweight divison, but Pride has better everything else.

if you get really into it enough to join other forum's the best one is the underground (as joe "the piece of shit" rogan said) and also www.sherdog.com has a really good one.

the anouncements that Dana made at UFC 56 were unbelievable. shamrock and ortiz as the captains at ultimate fighter 3 will be really good for those fighters. ken and tito will want to win so bad that they will make the fighters better
also the return of Frank Mir. he was champ when he went out, he will probably have 1 fight to get the rust off, then fight Arlovski who has been a wrecking machine as of late
and BJ Penn!! complete stud. only person to ever beat Hughes in the octagon. he was also champ when he went out, and that just adds to the strenght of the already stacked welterweight division

DarkHorse

Another good forum to visit is  at fightHQ.com some people from sherdog go there but it's not as crowded.

Damn TUF3 is gonna be crazy but this time it's going to be light heavyweights and middleweights or what? anyways when Lex Luthor(Dana) made those announcements I was excited, then BJ Penn came out I looked over to RockedCubus cause no one else knew who he was haha and we were both like DAAAAMN!

Gaz

The announcments were awesome, Tito & Ken will be great coaches on TUF 3.

I'm glad to see that Frank Mir will be back in action soon, I doubt he will be able to overcome Arlovski though, that man is a fighting machine.

CentralIllNoise

Mir can beat Arlovski if he takes it to the ground immediately. he's not in the same league standing up as AA, but on the ground Mir has the advantage, on top and bottom. i'm not saying AA is bad on the ground, he's never been submitted, but Mir has the advantage. it will be interesting. AA's only loses are by knockout, and Mir doesn't have the stand up to beat him by knockout.

died20times

i watched one of those fights last night. dude knocked him out cold.  it was tight.

Gaz

Yeah I agree, Arlovski is deadly with his standup but Mir is deadly with ground work, it should make for an interesting fight when they meet.

DefCubus

Mir says he's been able to practice a lot of new techniques that dont require a lot of strength, since he was able to exert much force on his leg. Now that he can, he says he's better than before... but my money would still be on Arlovski..but not all of it :)
With Mir's inactivity, and Arlovski getting better and better, possibly stronger too. As long as Arlovski has decent takedown defense, he has a good chance.

BJ Penn should have a fight against Karo, the winner should have a title shot. For now, no one deserves it more than Georges St. Pierre.

]

lostcancer

VatoJorge: Matt Hughes Blog
November 21 , 2005 - Illinois
My fight with Joe didn't seem like a fight, it seemed like practice, it was no big deal...

I understand the Pierre wants a fight at the title, he has already had a chance...

I'm not sure if he is going to fight me or BJ...

I wasn't overly impressed with Pierre's hands, Sherk caught him a few time, overall he is a good competitor...
VatoJorge: F hughes
pONyrAgEd: damn he dissed him nasty!
pONyrAgEd: gonna take that jorge?!
VatoJorge: haha

Gaz

St Pierre is awesome and he deserves another shot

CentralIllNoise

my welterweight rankings for UFC:

Champ-Hughes
1. St. Pierre
2. Karo
3. Sanchez
4. Penn
5. Trigg
6. Sherk
7. Riggs

that would make for an amazing tourney

DefCubus

Riggs shouldnt even be on there, he only has 1 victory at Welterweight. Diaz should be on there.

]

lifter

UFC, pride fighting, K1 kickboxing are great. i watch as much as i can.