Sharing Lungs - Deftones Online Community

The books thread

Started by tarkil, Jan 16, 2006, 02:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

BigDave

it's poorly written most of the time.  most importantly, he tries to cram thousands of years of philosophy into 500 odd pages.  the worst example is the 12 page chapter he dedicates to marx, it's awful, he barely scrapes what is essential to marxist philosophy.  he also gives, for some bizarre reasons, TWO WHOLE CHAPTERS on a fairly insignificant philosopher; berkeley.  plus, mill, nietzsche and sartre more than deserve their own chapters, instead they're mentioned in passing.  its pathetic.

Paint Your Lips

Quote from: BigDave on Jun 19, 2006, 12:43 AM
it's poorly written most of the time.  most importantly, he tries to cram thousands of years of philosophy into 500 odd pages.  the worst example is the 12 page chapter he dedicates to marx, it's awful, he barely scrapes what is essential to marxist philosophy.  he also gives, for some bizarre reasons, TWO WHOLE CHAPTERS on a fairly insignificant philosopher; berkeley.  plus, mill, nietzsche and sartre more than deserve their own chapters, instead they're mentioned in passing.  its pathetic.
I just got a boner. That was awesome. Best dizz EVER.

Nailec

Quoteit's poorly written most of the time.  most importantly, he tries to cram thousands of years of philosophy into 500 odd pages.  the worst example is the 12 page chapter he dedicates to marx, it's awful, he barely scrapes what is essential to marxist philosophy.  he also gives, for some bizarre reasons, TWO WHOLE CHAPTERS on a fairly insignificant philosopher; berkeley.  plus, mill, nietzsche and sartre more than deserve their own chapters, instead they're mentioned in passing.  its pathetic.

do not know, what book you mean, but.

perhaps it is not some kind of introduction to philosophy?
i mean he can`t agree to each of them so he writes what he thinks is important.
y shouldn`t he hate mill's Utilitarianism?

BigDave

it's an introduction to philosophy in the form of a novel.
but he didn't write what's most important, that's one of the issues i take with the book.
sure, a lot of people hate utilitarianism, but it's a very significant movement in philosophy.  but what i was getting at was the importance of mill's political philosophy which doesn't get the treatment it deserves.  and nor does his utilitarianism or utilitarianism in general for that matter.
you're better off reading a decent 'introduction to philosophy' styke book.

rxqueen

It's written for children, maybe you forgot that little point. ;) And I think it's a quite good introduction.. I didn't even understand 9/10 of what you said because english isn't my motherlanguage and I'm not that bored to look up every second word.

Äh, and I thought the whole story about Sophie and Hilde was awesome..

rxqueen

Uhh, I forgot to tell you about Siddharta by Hesse. It helps you find peace and harmony, just like all his books. :)

Crazylegs

The era of books is over. The era of Crazy Frog is here.

Moz La Punk

Quote from: Crazylegs on Jun 20, 2006, 02:04 AM
The era of books is over. The era of Crazy Frog is here.

He has a book.

Crazylegs

Crazylegs

wifeparty

has anyone read the Stephen Donaldson's Chronicles of Thomas Covenant.

I need a new saga to seek my brain into after getting mind fucked by the dark tower series

DeftonesATF27

Riders on the storm by john densmore.

also No One Here Gets Out Alive, if anyone has read these, you know what im talking about.

Ive read these over and over again, it gets better everytime, going through all the trips they were on.

It was funny cause i went to the bank the other day and my high school counsler dude that introduced that book to me came through the bank door while i was waiting delivering fuckin pizza from Papa Johns and was like hey hows it going, cool motherfucker. he dropped counseling for a high school to deliver pizzas. Thats explains the type of guy he was 2 offer me a book like that anyway, he knew what was in it, sex, drugs and rock n roll.

BigDave

Quote from: rxqueen on Jun 20, 2006, 12:42 AM
It's written for children, maybe you forgot that little point. ;) And I think it's a quite good introduction.. I didn't even understand 9/10 of what you said because english isn't my motherlanguage and I'm not that bored to look up every second word.

Äh, and I thought the whole story about Sophie and Hilde was awesome..

philosophy is not for children.

rxqueen

.. Some children can teach you more about life than a 50 year old man.. Do you know this game, where you look into someone's eye until one of you looks away? Children will always beat you at it. It's because their hearts are still free and they fear no damnation.

And the book is still written and explained for children or let's say young adults that are planning to get into that stuff..

Paint Your Lips

Hey, BigD. "Hey Nostradamus" got me a fucking A in Danish ! Thanks ! :D

BigDave

Quote from: rxqueen on Jun 20, 2006, 08:52 PM
.. Some children can teach you more about life than a 50 year old man.. Do you know this game, where you look into someone's eye until one of you looks away? Children will always beat you at it. It's because their hearts are still free and they fear no damnation.

And the book is still written and explained for children or let's say young adults that are planning to get into that stuff..

somebody under the age of 16 couldn't understand descarte's trademark argument for the existence of god.

@marty - hahah awesome, did you have to do an essay on it then?

wifeparty

Quote from: BigDave on Jun 21, 2006, 01:25 AM

Im a teacher and i learn more from my kids than i can from any book! What was said above is 100% true. Children have more imagaination and logic doesn't get in the way for them! they will try something just because they can! There isn't one day that I don't learn something from them

I use the term 'thinking outside the square' quite a bit and the other day when i said it a 8 year old girl replied 'why not just pretend there is no square'

That there sums up kids

hydroponic82

this months issue of  "cunt corral" has some pretty good editorials in it.

BigDave

Quote from: wifeparty on Jun 21, 2006, 02:06 AM
Quote from: BigDave on Jun 21, 2006, 01:25 AM

Im a teacher and i learn more from my kids than i can from any book! What was said above is 100% true. Children have more imagaination and logic doesn't get in the way for them! they will try something just because they can! There isn't one day that I don't learn something from them

I use the term 'thinking outside the square' quite a bit and the other day when i said it a 8 year old girl replied 'why not just pretend there is no square'

That there sums up kids

that's great.  and has nothing to do with what i was saying.