Sharing Lungs - Deftones Online Community

The books thread

Started by tarkil, Jan 16, 2006, 02:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

vida_mae

really? interesting..who is publishing it and where? im actually trying to get some stuff to be looked at by publishers, and score a book deal... i need to get my shit together, and start working harder on this... :x  

black coffee

the reader by bernhard schlink.

BigDave

Quote from: "vida_mae"really? interesting..who is publishing it and where? im actually trying to get some stuff to be looked at by publishers, and score a book deal... i need to get my shit together, and start working harder on this... :x  

what kind of stuff do you write?  maybe one day i'll send some of my short stories to a publisher, but i've got years to do that.

one weak

right now i am reading:

Visions of Cody- Jack Kerouac
Under The Banner of Heaven- Jack Krakauer
... and several books for school on film theory

HeyVanity

Quote from: "indychino"
Quote from: "fightclubche"Also the fact that creationism got dismissed, people tried to push the "intelligent design" theory.
I heard that, Im not to sure what Intelligent Design is though.

Is it like the strong will survive? As in the best out of a species lives and the weakest can't mate so dies?

I went to a catholic school and they tried to shove intelligent design down our throats for about two weeks, but we weren't really buying it.

They're basically saying that there must be a supreme designer for the universe because all things are irreducibly complex - if you take things apart, they cease to function.

Their main argument is that certain mechanisms and systems (blood clotting, flagellar motors of bacteria) cease to function if you remove one component, therefore natural selection can't be true, things didn't evolve into what they are they had to be created that way.

I personally think it's total bullshit.

As for books:
I'm currently reading Catch 22. I recently reread The Great Gatsby, my favorite book - oh and I finished Memoirs of a Geisha. Beautiful book.

4th Eye

Quote from: "HeyVanity"things didn't evolve into what they are they had to be created that way.
God must've been bored to create every human and animal different... :roll:

Maybe there's truth to both, evolutionism and creationism; a higher force created the sketch for the earth and let us evolve into what we are. Because I do believe in evolutionism to certain extent but the beginning is still blurred. And I believe in things that we can probably never understand, not necessarily meaning higher forces but things that science can't prove.

And I want to read the newest Bret Easton Ellis book. I've read his previous productions, except Glamorama.

ToneDef

There are things that are just too fucked up to be explained in a book. Where the fuck does space end? That question can fuck me up for hours. Imagine if you weren't born. What happens when you die? Imagine if when you do die all that survives is your mind.. All you can do is think for eternity. Fuck that.

I don't believe in Darwins theory. Humans evolving from apes just don't cut it with me.

Martin

Quote from: "ToneDef"There are things that are just too fucked up to be explained in a book. Where the fuck does space end? That question can fuck me up for hours. Imagine if you weren't born. What happens when you die? Imagine if when you do die all that survives is your mind.. All you can do is think for eternity. Fuck that.

Good questions.
I remember being a kid and thinking about when life ends, and then what?
Freaked myself out all the time trying to figure out what it be like if the answer to the above question was 'nothing'.

ToneDef

Exactly, but then you ask yourself 'what is nothing?'. It can fuck you up man. Just imagine not being born. Not having experienced life. And yet you wouldn't even know you haven't experienced anything because you wouldn't have been alive in the first place.

4th Eye

Quote from: "ToneDef"There are things that are just too fucked up to be explained in a book. Where the fuck does space end? That question can fuck me up for hours. Imagine if you weren't born. What happens when you die? Imagine if when you do die all that survives is your mind.. All you can do is think for eternity. Fuck that.

I don't believe in Darwins theory. Humans evolving from apes just don't cut it with me.
Indeed. Because infinity is impossible, space does end somewhere but what's beyond the edge since complete nothingness can't really be defined either. Does that make space impossible, thus making us impossible...are we actually born, do we exist? Aaaaaah!!!! I've thought about supernatural and such things before and couldn't end up to any conclusion. And I'm not really buying Darwin's theory in complete either...

I'm gonna get some beer before my head explodes...

Mazzy

I'm currently reading A Million Little Pieces by James Frey.

In here laughing is the only drug. Laughing or love. They are both drugs.

I need to read some more poetry.

BigDave

finished cabal, not amazing.  started king of torts by john grisham, nice bit of trash fiction.

tarkil

Finished Palanihuk's "Stranger than fiction", and starting Dostoievski "The Gambler", or whatever the title is in english...

If ignorance is bliss, then knock the smile off my face.

Fireal1222

wow, the last book i read was. "attack of the mutant"

its a goosebumps book

I'm Not Here.
This Isn't Happening.

law

You read it under the influence?

ToneDef

Quote from: "Fireal1222"wow, the last book i read was. "attack of the mutant"

its a goosebumps book

Piano Lessons Can be murder was the best one. Now that was some real literature.

hydroponic82

goosebumps books rule. R.L. stine's fear street book series was awesome to.

ToneDef

R.L Stine pwns Charles Dickens.

Mazzy

Quote from: "tarkil"Finished Palanihuk's "Stranger than fiction", and starting Dostoievski "The Gambler", or whatever the title is in english...

You like Fyodor?

I love him. He's my favourite writer. The Idiot is fucking awesome. What shits me is the translations of his work from Russian to English. There are a lot of English versions of The Idiot for example and they're all rather different on some aspects with the language and the way things are explained and all.

tarkil

Yeah I love him... I read "Crime and punishment", and the "Karamazov brothers". I really really love Crime and punishment. so fascinating to read.

As for the translations, I'm not enough into him to mind about that, but I know what you mean. Because I feel the same way about some other books...

And I didn't read the Idiot...  :?    What is it about ?

If ignorance is bliss, then knock the smile off my face.