DeftonesATF27

TheProzacFairy

Quote from: "DeftonesATF27"^pfft pfft^

*coughCUNT*cough 8)

DeftonesATF27

Quote from: "TheProzacFairy"

*coughCUNT*cough 8)

Im just joking sweety, where would i be without my cancerous muse. you are mine.

TheProzacFairy

Quote from: "DeftonesATF27"
Quote from: "TheProzacFairy"

*coughCUNT*cough 8)

Im just joking sweety, where would i be without my cancerous muse. you are mine.

haha i know you're kidding  :P I'm just fuckin w/ ya...literally  :wink:

hydroponic82

Quote from: "DeftonesATF27"cancerous muse

Mazzy

I'm starting these two.

4th Eye

Fear And Loathing is brilliant. The movie is great but I think the book is slightly crazier and has some pretty hilarious parts.

DeftonesATF27

Books Truly are better, if anyone in here has any guts to watch the movie The exorcist then please check out the book. It was meant to be a peice of literature and thats definatley what it is. Its about a million times more scary then the movie. Just try gettin past "the beggining".

Mei

Im starting a new book this weekend called "Genesis" by Jim Crace. It was in a markdown bin at a local book store.. looks like a great original read.
I Keep You Jealously To Myself

4th Eye

Quote from: "DeftonesATF27"Books Truly are better, if anyone in here has any guts to watch the movie The exorcist then please check out the book. It was meant to be a peice of literature and thats definatley what it is. Its about a million times more scary then the movie. Just try gettin past "the beggining".
Indeed. I haven't read The Exorcist but I almost shat my pants 10 years ago while watching the movie alone. I should give the book a try when I get time.

Overally, books are better than movies...
The Silence Of The Lambs, American Psycho, Jurassic Park, Fear And Loathing In Las Vegas, Hitchiker's Guide To The Galaxy, etc.

Really, Jurassic Park and the sequel, The Lost World were the best books I've ever read. The movies were good entertainment but I just couldn't stop reading the books, they were so awesome. Crichton is so far one of my favorite authors (with Chuck Palahniuk and Bret Easton Ellis)...

BigDave

Quote from: "vida_mae"
Quote from: "vida_mae"
Quote from: "vida_mae"yes, ive read nietzsche, whats the discussion you want to have about it?

uhhhh....I feel like wayne in waynes world when they try to order food in that drive thru and the guy takes him seriously.

oh im sorry baberham lincoln.. i just thought you wanted to have an intellectual convo.. being the literary thread and all.. :lol:

Lol yes i am baberham lincoln. but no i lied im still finishing this damn book and have nothing to add yet, i got turned onto him by jim morrison being so influenced by him, so i was like fuck it ill check it out. But id like to hear all about what you know about him........

well what i no about him.. hmph. well i know hes a libra.. which fasinates me in reasons that would bore you, and i know that at the end of his life he was suffering from some kind of diasese or pain in his jaw i think.. im sorry its been a while.. but from what i have read and heard of him, this chronic pain,  kept his voice in a pessemistic point of view .i read notes from his " the fall and tragedy of modern man" his book from the turn of the century that inspired modernism, i think thats what is was called. but anyways, i like how he pointed out the man deludes himself into thinking he knows the absolute truth... how people are somewhat fanatical, and really think they have the answers.. how they become narrow minded and self righteous... i see that so much.. in myself and in others..but as far as philosopy goes i really enjoy heidegger..

that's barely anything to do with what's in beyond good and evil.  he talk's about man's delusion's of truth in the opening chapter and that's about it.  beyond good and evil is a massive critique of all philosophy, religion and morality whilst exploring some of his more abstract idea's like will-to-power and eternal reacurrance of the same.

i satrted a widow for one year by john irving the other day, 100 pages in and it's very good.  i don't think i've ever read another writer as descriptive as he is.

hydroponic82

Quote from: "4th Eye"

Really, Jurassic Park and the sequel, The Lost World were the best books I've ever read. The movies were good entertainment but I just couldn't stop reading the books, they were so awesome..

word . you know your shit. i found both of the JP books were far more superb than the films. especially the first one. They left out so much ...the river ride , the aviery ( wich it took them 2 films to finally have a sequence with and it still sucked) and it was alot more violent which i felt it shouldve been in the films.

The lost World movie was just a embarssment to the book.    i would really love them to remake the original Jurassic Park the way it should have been , since the franchise isnt heading anywhere now.

4th Eye

Quote from: "hydroponic82"
Quote from: "4th Eye"

Really, Jurassic Park and the sequel, The Lost World were the best books I've ever read. The movies were good entertainment but I just couldn't stop reading the books, they were so awesome..

word . you know your shit. i found both of the JP books were far more superb than the films. especially the first one. They left out so much ...the river ride , the aviery ( wich it took them 2 films to finally have a sequence with and it still sucked) and it was alot more violent which i felt it shouldve been in the films.

The lost World movie was just a embarssment to the book.    i would really love them to remake the original Jurassic Park the way it should have been , since the franchise isnt heading anywhere now.
*spoiler to those who haven't read the book*
Yeah, John Hammond should've been eaten alive in the movie too. :twisted:
*end of spoiler*

I need to re-read the books, maybe actually buy them if I find them somewhere, because I can't remember them too well. But Crichton had scientifical background under control pretty well and there were also really good thoughts about evolution and nature that the movie lacked.

I don't know what to expect of the fourth movie but it should be out this year.

Assassin

I started reading 1984 by George Orwell today. It's got me hooked, it's one of those books that's really hard to tear yourself away from.

ChickdelaLynch

Quote from: "Assassin"I started reading 1984 by George Orwell today. It's got me hooked, it's one of those books that's really hard to tear yourself away from.

That's my favorite book of all time. Another one that's hard to tear away from is A Prayer For Owen Meany. So good.

vida_mae

big dave...awesome. it seems like most ppl only talk about spoke of the zarathusa.. but ive only read birth of tragedy.. it is basically were he coined that apollonian and dionysian conflict of modern man.. how were either one or the other.. good or bad.. so.. hows that john iriving book working out for you?  :lol:

Mazzy

Quote from: "BigDave"

that's barely anything to do with what's in beyond good and evil.  he talk's about man's delusion's of truth in the opening chapter and that's about it.  beyond good and evil is a massive critique of all philosophy, religion and morality whilst exploring some of his more abstract idea's like will-to-power and eternal reacurrance of the same.

i satrted a widow for one year by john irving the other day, 100 pages in and it's very good.  i don't think i've ever read another writer as descriptive as he is.

Nietzsche had a serious impact on my thinking. It took me a while to understand the Will To Power concept. I figured that the Will to Power isn't a metaphysical element at all, for precisely the reason that it doesn't fit in well with the rest of his philosophy when understood metaphysically.

I have been doing quasi-research into Nietzsche's personal life and came across this interesting piece of information:

This is the Hansen Writing Ball, which was Nietzsche's typewriter that he purchased in 1865. There is part of a chapter over Nietzsche and his typewriter (and what he wrote about the machine) in the book Gramophone, Film, Typewriter by Friedrich A. Kittler, Stanford University Press, 1999: p. 198-220.

Apparently, Nietzsche was the first philosopher to use a typewriter.

And The Cider House Rules is definitly my favourite Irving book. Setting Free the Bears is a close second...haha you probably know why if you've read it. I remember I started reading it because it was one of Kurt Vonnegut's best picks.

tarkil

Finished Dostoievsky's "The Gambler". As usual with Dosotievsky, great book. I don't know what I'm gonna start right now.

Either Fight Club (Chuck Palanhiuk) or The Idiot (Dostoievsky again). Or maybe some french books from a french writer called Maurice Dantec. Or some Teri Pratchett discworld's books....  :?

If ignorance is bliss, then knock the smile off my face.

BigDave

Quote from: "vida_mae"big dave...awesome. it seems like most ppl only talk about spoke of the zarathusa.. but ive only read birth of tragedy.. it is basically were he coined that apollonian and dionysian conflict of modern man.. how were either one or the other.. good or bad.. so.. hows that john iriving book working out for you?  :lol:

beyond good and evil is definately a more complete book than zarathustra, but zarathustra gets deserved praise for the ubermensche idea.

yea it's really good, i'm about half way through.

@assassin 1984 is defo one of the best book's ever, but i've always thought animal farm was the better novel.

@mazzy, i think the will to power probably is entirely meta physical, nietzsche placed a lot of emphasis on the 'geist', or the spirit or in modern day language, the mind, in his writings.  and it is with this mind that exerts will to power and gains strength.