Sharing Lungs - Deftones Online Community

The Official Football Thread (Soccer)

Started by minus_blindfold, Jan 27, 2006, 06:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ToneDef

Off to Chelsea vs Shakhtar on Wednesday night! Nothing like a Champions League game live. Great atmosphere. I'm actually a Fulham fan but can't be turning down a game of football. They'll field a strong team too, so Hazard and Mata.. Fucking yes!

black coffee

Fulham fan going to a Chelsea home game?

;)

ToneDef

Haha, indeed, indeed. I'll keep it quiet.

black coffee

Most of my friends and my brothers root for two clubs.
I never really got that, but so many people are like that I got used to it;)

Bought my tickets for the away game of my club on the 18th, we really need points points points

ToneDef

Who's your team, man? I don't support two clubs, Just Fulham. I'm only like an hour away from London anyway. There are a few of us at work who support different teams (Fulham, Liverpool, West Ham, Chelsea) so every now and again one of us will grab a few tickets for us all to head up there. So the Chelsea guy got 4 tickets for tomorrow nights game. I'm not a die hard supporter by any means, so it's cool to just head up to London, hang out, and go watch a football match. It's great to see a real European elite game. Looking forward to watching Hazard for the first time. I've been a big fan since he was at Lille and was really excited to see him come to the Premier League. He's a great player and the way Chelsea are using him alongside Mata and Oscar at the moment, just behind Torres, with a license to roam and create, it's gonna be fantastic to watch.

black coffee

My club is Fortuna Düsseldorf, guess you'll have to google them ;)
its our first season in the first league for 15 years, and we came to stay.

Must say you picked a good Champions League game there last night, goal in 4th minute of overtime?
That 40 meters goal by Oscar was pure masterclass, and this Willian is such a good player its ridiculous, no surprise Chelsea wants him.

ToneDef

Are they on Fifa? Haha. I'll check them out.

Yeah it was a good game to be there to see, but Chelsea were disappointing. They were very frustrating to watch and found it difficult to maintain possession. Shakhtar were very good at hounding players to win the ball back ala Barca, but I felt Chelsea could have increased the tempo. Hazard was impressive and I was really happy to see him play. I've been a fan of his for a few seasons now. He's getting a lot of recognition this season, now people are aware of him.

Torres goal was right in front of us and Oscars was brilliant, haha. We had a good view of both of those. Oscar played very well at times actually. He got a good reception when he was subbed. Honestly though, we missed the last goal. We left to get the train and then heard it, haha. These things happen!

You're also right in that Willian is great. He was easily the player that impressed me most on the night. Confident, skilled and strong. He'd fit well into the premier league.

Have you ever been to a league game in England?

black coffee

Not yet, but the plan existed for some time - Good friend of mine is gonna be in London for his practical training from February till November next year so there is a good possibility. How hard is it to get tickets for a "normal" game? not a derby like Arsenal-Chelsea where its probably not possible to get tickets ;)

ToneDef

It's not that hard. It helps if you're a member and stuff, but as long as you're quick it shouldn't be a problem. You'd love it. The game is absolutely huge in this country, as it is anywhere in Europe really. We're blessed with a great league though. You'd love the atmosphere at a league game.

black coffee

Probably sounds like treason to you, but I don't watch that much Premier League. Sky shows 2 to 3 games per matchday, and when theres a top game I usually watch it, but I definitely focus on my national league, the Bundesliga.

Which is underestimated in England I believe.
Next to La Liga and Premier League its one of the three top leagues in Europe... stadiums are sold out nearly every game, its a very competitive league, lots of chanting in stadiums. And here no sheik or oligarch can come alone and buy players like there no tomorrow ;)

edit: just checked, they're gonna show Aston Villa - Manchester United in the evening, definitely gonna watch that

ToneDef

How did you enjoy the Villa- Utd game?

And how about Ibrahimovic against England? That last goal!!!

You're right about the Bundesliga being underrated here. A lot of English fans aren't too aware of other leagues. Ours is so popular there's less need for the casual fan to look elsewhere. We don't have much German football televised either. La Liga ha its own show though, naturally.

I like to keep up with other leagues/teams/players and whatnot. As I understand it, the Bundesliga is run very well. Way better than the madness of our league. It uses a smart business model. And it popularised the 4-2-3-1 formation. I believe at one point, more or less every team in your league was using it, or some variation of it. We're having more teams here use it now. Chelsea are the most high profile. Man United are using it too, which is funny because he's always, always been old fashioned and been 4-4-2/4-4-1-1.

But yeah, your league is healthy as I understand it and it works well with your national team.

ToneDef

Oh, and if you feel like watching some highlights, check out my boys against Arsenal the other week. Fantastic game:

http://www.footytube.com/video/arsenal-vs-fulham-3-3-141784?ref=search

black coffee

My team lost yesterday, we had so many chances in the first half.. then in the second half one player of the opponent team receives the red card, and what happens?
They score to win the game, and we lose.

But I must say especially with those away games, I have a weird feeling that whenever I quit drinking in my life, this will be the end of football games. Maybe it sounds like I am an alcoholic, but its way more fun to be drunk, be it in the train on our way to the game, or in the stands.. You know what I mean?

The Ibrahimovic goal was definitely something. Such a crazy dude, but he proves hes worth the money.

Happy to see you acknowledge the Bundesliga.
I saw the game of your team yesterday on television.
It was really too bad for you guys. Three goals in ( I believe ) 20 minutes, that was too much in the end. Petric has good instincts, but he needs minutes so maybe Martin Jol should consider putting him in the starting line-up and results will come.

And about this week.... Champions League tomorrow and the day after!! Some interesting games ahead, but I am already looking forward to the knockout stage early next year ;) All three German teams have good chances to get there.

black coffee

RoyalDeftonicBoy

And Messi did it! He won the 4th Ballon D'or thus making him the only player with four :D Well deserved it because he was a beast.
Ronaldo's face was so priceless LMAO The haters can help him go through this difficult time for sure.
Congrats Messi and great job!

Penicks

RoyalDeftonicBoy

Quote from: Penicks on Jun 28, 2014, 07:57 PM
who should win the world cup

Netherlands, Argentina, France and Germany are top. Brazil aint worth shit, they almost lose this match against Chile and if it wasnt for that Japanese referee they wouldnt have won the first match.

Diplo

France are top ? Nop, I would be surprised if they pass the quarter finals.

black coffee

Chile is a difficult opponent and they beat Spain in the group phase. So I'd say if you win against the team that won the European cup two times in a row and also the last world cup you didn't do a lot wrong.
Brazil probably depend too much on Neymar, but to say they "ain't worth shit" is fucking stupid.

Germany played badly today against Algeria, France had some luck themselves to beat Nigeria the way they did and the Netherlands could have easily lost against Mexico. This is a very even world cup.

RoyalDeftonicBoy

Another team that didnt deserve to pass today was Germany. Great effort by Algeria.
Tomorrow I might not even go to work.