Sharing Lungs - Deftones Online Community

Pearl Jam

Started by skinnypuppy, Mar 10, 2006, 07:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

skinnypuppy

ok, when the FUCK did pearl jam get so awesome?
"world wide suicide" is the best thing I've heard in a while

http://www.myspace.com/tenclub

Azwethinkweiz

fuck yeah!! Oh man, thanks for posting this. That was a great song!

Pearl Jam is amazing. I love them.

Favorite album anyone?

for me: Ten and VS are both awesome. All their albums are great though.

New album will be badass.

fightclubche

My Morning Jacket are gonna be opening for them on a few dates.  Pearl Jam is one of those bands that I have to see but I keep putting it off because I'm poor.  I've seen Vedder jam with Springsteen though.

Jacob

Pearl Jam is one of my favorite bands in the whole damn world, Ten obviously being my fav album. I saw them live here in Sweden in 2000 and it was an amazing show. two days later I went down to Roskilde in Denmark to see them again and that when 9 people were crushed to death in the audience. it wasn't a very pleasant experience. hope they'll come here soon again an make up for it.
pray nightfall release me
then i could wander, wander to deep sleep

Azwethinkweiz

11 people died in the audience, actually. It was aweful.

I've never seen them live, but i hope they'll tour europe with their new album.

Jacob

Quote from: Azwethinkweiz on Mar 10, 2006, 02:38 PM
11 people died in the audience, actually. It was aweful.

8 people died there and one died at the hospital later. that's the story I heard daily for months after the accident.

fireflyry

Pearl Jam frontman Eddie Vedder has revealed to Kerrang! that the band's forthcoming eighth studio album is the most aggressive record the band have ever made.

Vedder and his bandmates - guitarists Mike McCready and Stone Goosard, bassist Jeff Ament and drummer Matt Cameron - are preparing to release the as-yet untitled follow up to 2002's 'Riot Act', after spending over a year holed up in their Seattle recording studio making it.

Pearl Jam hooked up with producer Adam Kasper, who colloborated with them on 'Riot Act' and who has also worked with Foo Fighters, Nirvana, and Queens of the Stone Age, and applied a different working approach to what they'd executed on their previous albums.

"It's been a long one," laughs the usually interview-shy Vedder. "I don't think we had any kind of plan to stretch it out, it just kind of happened. This time we didn't come in with any songs. We just got in a room, looked at each other and played our instruments until things started connecting and formed it from there. Right now, I'm feeling like I don't want to do that again! It was a different process for us and in the end it was a good one, but it was tough.

"When we finished, it felt like we were coming up for air after having not seen the surface for a long time," he adds. "We've never spent that long making a record before, so it was a real trip to be finished with something that was such a commitment. On the night we finished I got in my truck and drove into the woods. I found a spot, rolled down the windows down in the rain and cranked it loud. It felt pretty powerful. At one point, the wind was blowing the trees in perfect time with the beat and it was like the forest was dancing. It felt like we'd achieved something."

Vedder admits that, although he hates to compare the band's work and publicly register his satisfaction with it, he's extremely happy with the new tracks, mainly thanks to the fact that they're heavier than songs Pearl Jam have recorded in the past.

"My favourite music has always been music that is a little more aggressive, with a tempo that's like a runway train and I always wanted our band to be on that train," he explains. "We'd get moments where, live, it would happend but not so much on record. But now that train's running and it's moving pretty quick! this one's more aggressive than stuff we've done before and I don't usually like to say that there's something that i'm so pleased with, but in this case, it's true. We'll just see if the people who buy our records agree and if they can keep up with us. It's really uplifting," Vedder jokes. "I think we should call the record 'Pearl Jam's Good Time Hour!"

Although relcutant to give too much information away regarding the lyrical content of the album, Vedder, who is known for his biting, disaffected world-view, does confess that US political events and the state of the media were a huge influence.

"It was difficult to write after the last US election," he says. "Not because there wasn't anything to say but how do you temper your moral outrage so as not to be just negative? We're a country that instigated a war under false pretences, thousands of people are dying, we're wasting billions of dollars and yet the media is inundated with stories on teenage pop star's weight loss. It's insane. You've got bling this and bling that and it's polluting the mind's of our youth as to what's important in life.

"I assumed that being a father and seeing the world through your child's eyes was going to make everything brighter, more peacful and balanced," adds Vedder, whose first child, Olivia was born in 2004.

"But because of the state of the world, it made me angrier and I wasn't expecting that. Now it's not just about me beng slefish about our generation, it's about looking into the future. But my work is splattered across the lyric pages like blood. The listener's part of it is figuring out what it means."

The band are getting set to head out on the road in support of the album's release. It's something that Vedder is looking forward to, but perhaps that has more to do with his dissatisfaction with the state of today's rock scene....

"I'm excited about participating in rock n' roll and doing our bit," he admits. "We're not really competitive with other bands but there's new music that I find completly vacuous - music that I should be liking or happy that it's popular - but it feels like a travesty or an erosion of what rock music should be."

Are there any bands in particular that you're talking about?

"You know the ones," Vedder answers, with a laugh. "It's a lack of authenticity or something. That'swhat makes us want to be out there - to keep the art form alive."

Pearl Jam's as-yet-untitled new album will be released on May 1 via Sony.

[edit]The web sites had a makeover too:http://www.pearljam.com/

Quote from: tiger modeThats why we're all here. Deftones - common ground.

zee deveel 17

"world wide suicide" is a very good song...im sure there'll be some excellent material on this next cd.

i still have yet to see them in concert

Jacob

there's starting to come too much music from Pearl Jam, haha. I can barely keep up anymore. I don't think I've listened to the last two albums more than I can count on my both hands. I do love them though and they've been a really big part of my life. but I dunno, lately they haven't been as interesting. I hope this album is different.

ever since Matt Cameron started they've gotten a bit boring.

Mascara Snake

Pearl Jam are definitly on of my fav bands! There last album was pretty dull but after 'WWSS' i have high hopes for this new stuff, i also heard a demo of another new song called 'Gone' kinda down tempo but still good!

Id have to say my favourite pearl jam albums are Vs. and No Code can listenin to them both from start to finish and enjoy every minute!

Cant wait till they tour europe, but since Roskilde they only play seated venues for safety reasons, which kinda limits where they play!

"Information is not knowledge. Knowledge is not wisdom. Wisdom is not truth. Truth is not beauty. Beauty is not love. Love is not music. Music is THE BEST..."  Frank Zappa

manic_bastard

Pearl Jam's definitely a good band

ben

Not only is Pearl Jam good, their stance on the industry and how they tried to sue the ticket company for charging so much for their concerts was awesome.

Breach Unborn

cool song..the new album should be great

Mascara Snake

http://s53.yousendit.com/d.aspx?id=2WQX4MCHORTPK23A19SCJIESEW

A Demo of another new song, released to their fans as part of their annual christmas single! The songs called 'Gone'.

"Information is not knowledge. Knowledge is not wisdom. Wisdom is not truth. Truth is not beauty. Beauty is not love. Love is not music. Music is THE BEST..."  Frank Zappa

Chrisbo

Yeah, I've always loved Pearl Jam, for me the first three albums are flawless pieces of work! They, along with a few others, were one of the key bands that got me into rock music when I was a kid (well I guess I'm still a kid but you get me). Pisses me off when people say they're to blame for Creed and Nickelback. Sounds like the new album may be closer to the sound of 'Vitalogy', nice and punky and aggressive! Woo! May 1st is gonna be a good day (new PJ and Tool albums)! Hope to see them live this year or next year too!

Quote from: Chino Moreno
You are as cool as you tell yourself you are...everybody just do what you do...have a good time...don't walk around being a punk...walk around and be excited...live your life

Azwethinkweiz

New album cover.

haha its awesome.. ;D

fireflyry

That is cool although I now have a craving for avacados...

Quote from: tiger modeThats why we're all here. Deftones - common ground.

Jacob

mmm, I love avocados...

vida_mae

pearl jams been awesome for years, although i hear that in concert its very hard to decipher what eddies saying.. he kind of rambles words together.

my fav. songs
1. do the evolution  2. yellow ledbetter 3. better man

Woo..
I'm ahead, I'm a man
I'm the first mammal to wear pants, yeah
I'm at peace with my lust
I can kill 'cause in God I trust, yeah
It's evolution, baby

I'm at piece, I'm the man
Buying stocks on the day of the crash
On the loose, I'm a truck
All the rolling hills, I'll flatten' em out, yeah