Sharing Lungs - Deftones Online Community

Alice In Chains

Started by Mascara Snake, Mar 13, 2006, 01:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mascara Snake

"Phil Anselmo of Pantera/Superjoint Ritual, etc. fame was one of the guest vocalists for Alice In Chains' recently taped performance for VH1's upcoming tribute to Heart. Anselmo performed the tracks "Them Bones" and "Would?" with the group, which was rounded out by Duff McKagan of Velvet Revolver/Guns N' Roses fame. Comes With The Fall frontman William DuVall handled the vocals for "Man In The Box" and "Angry Chair", while Alice In Chains also performed "Rooster" with Heart. The tribute show is expected to air in May."

This is along with a number of european dates in the summer, including a dublin date with metallica and korn which i will be attending!

"Information is not knowledge. Knowledge is not wisdom. Wisdom is not truth. Truth is not beauty. Beauty is not love. Love is not music. Music is THE BEST..."  Frank Zappa

fireflyry

No shit.

I'm in two minds as to wether that's a cool thing or not.While I love both Alice and Pantera's work sometimes I think it's better to let things go and respect the music as it was with Layne fronting.

Strange that Phil stepped up too, I could hardly see him replacing Dimebag.

Quote from: tiger modeThats why we're all here. Deftones - common ground.

Mascara Snake

Phil is'nt touring with them, this was just a one off! William duval is touring with them and apparently after the tour they'll retire the name and start making music together under a new name, its just one last chance to hear Alice!

I agree it's not the same without Layne but on the other hand jerry wrote 95% of the music so i guess its his decision!

"Information is not knowledge. Knowledge is not wisdom. Wisdom is not truth. Truth is not beauty. Beauty is not love. Love is not music. Music is THE BEST..."  Frank Zappa

Jacob

it's not Alice in Chains without Layne, simple as that. Jerry might have been the brain, but Layne was the heart and soul of AiC. I would respect him a lot more if he had used another name or simply used Jerry Cantrell for this tour.

I heard rumours that they're coming to Roskilde though, and I will most likely go. if they actually play I will definitely see them. this band has meant more to me than any other band ever and if this is my only chance to experience those songs live, then I'll take it.
pray nightfall release me
then i could wander, wander to deep sleep

fireflyry

Quote from: aenemic on Mar 13, 2006, 05:05 PM
it's not Alice in Chains without Layne, simple as that. Jerry might have been the brain, but Layne was the heart and soul of AiC. I would respect him a lot more if he had used another name or simply used Jerry Cantrell for this tour.

My thoughts exactly.

It's like when the Doors reformed with Ian Astbury on vocals.Some things are best left although I'd also have to check them out as I never got the chance to see them live either.

Quote from: tiger modeThats why we're all here. Deftones - common ground.

Mascara Snake

Well this appearance is being aired in the states so hoprfully we'll see a video or somethin of it!

neutron liar

its kills me because I can't remember where I saw it, but 2 or 3 days ago I saw on a board somewhere (who knows it could've been this one) that someone had 3 of the songs with Phil and AIC in mp3.  He listed them too....but didn't offer them up for download.......

ben

This is just a farewell tour for Alice in Chains. after this tour is over, they're going to start a new band with a new name.

Cut cantrell some slack, shit.

law

I'll be seeing them at Download, can't wait!

Pensive

Today would have been Layne's 39th bday
If you're telekinetic and you know it raise my hand

tarkil

If ignorance is bliss, then knock the smile off my face.

Jacob

cyppe101

RIP

He left too early..

Pensive

Taken from us too damn soon
If you're telekinetic and you know it raise my hand

Jizzlobber

theres a lot of love in those people for the respective people that passed, Layne and the whole band was seen partying with Dime and  Pantera on the 1st home vid, they had good times together, i think its cool
<

Mascara Snake

RIP Layne Staley

A Truely Gifted Soul!!

Deftones-argentina

I have seen two unfamiliar tracks on some bootlegs: Untitled and barracuda. Are they new songs from AIC?

Oldnewtype

I just got their 1989 heroin demmos, good shit.

Jacob

Quote from: Oldnewtype on Aug 26, 2006, 06:32 PM
I just got their 1989 heroin demmos, good shit.

yeah, they're really good. some songs sound waay different than what they ended up playing.

tension_the_wire

OK. I can't see anyone dispute my love of Alice In Chains.
I saw them on the Dirt tour (93) and Layne was a mess! Still he didn't miss a note and no body could mess with his performance. He is one of those magnetic people that you could get angry at! layne commanded you to listen to him. Not just with his instrument, but his personality.

On the flipside, you have 3 highly talented musicians that have passed on huge offers so that they could hold out for their friend to get better (Mike Inez turned down Metallica 5 times), Sean Kinny turned down Ozzy Ozbourne and Jerry has turned down LOTS of offers, as well as their now infamous turning down of MTVs Rockstar (man, I would have loved to be a fly on the wall when they told MTV where to go!!!)

They have waited for Layne to get 'better' for almost 10 years, they could of very easily kicked layne out and got another vocalist and kept going purly for the $$, but they have always said AIC isn't around without Layne.

And they have never once said that AIC has re-formed, after this tour, there will be a new band name and a new sound.

I think its worng for anyone to point any fingers at them for disrepecting Layne...I think they have showed his the most utmost respect! Just watching MTV Unplugged, watch Jerry's face...its sadness for his friend!

Take it from me, its the hardest thing in the world watching your best friend slowly kill himself.

And for the record, AIC and Pantera are very old friends...they where both glam bands before 1990.