theis

only pieces remain

Jacob

pray nightfall release me
then i could wander, wander to deep sleep

luisch

Searching the machine might reveal what you don't want to know

Jacob

Listening now. I know I should wait to comment until I'm at least done with the album. But so far, nothing has really stood out. All the songs sort of blend together and sound very similar. And where's the heaviness? It sounds so polished.

only pieces remain

i just finished my first listen.

i'm kinda bummed. i dont like it nearly as much as i did bgwtb after one listen. some tracks sound nothing like aic (low ceiling, scalpel). scalpel is my far my least favorite, it drags and drags and drags. not a good track at all. low ceiling and breath on a window arent very good either. the last three tracks make up for it though.

phantom limb is the best track and its not even fucking close. go figure william wrote it and sings lead on it. I figured William would sing lead more on this album but noooooooope >:(

definitely their lightest record. I really, really wanted to love this :(

theis

theis

Just gave it a spin.

Sadly, it's pretty forgettable on first listen.

The songs we've already heard before the leak (Hollow, Stone, Phantom Limb) are easily the best.

Lab Monkey and title track are pretty cool too.

only pieces remain

I've had 4 full listens now and its better. But still doesnt touch bgwtb.

dont get me wrong, i like this record but my expectations were sky high for it. still buying it on tuesday for sure

Jacob

Yeah, after BGWTB I actually expected more. That album sounded more like AIC than I would ever have dared hoping for (hell, I was even complaining that some songs sounded like reworked AIC classics), and even if I was a bit let down at first it grew on me and I ended up loving it. I'm going to give this one a fair chance as well, but to be honest nothing really stands out, and like I said before a lot of the songs sound very similar. And this time it sounds like they've tried developing a new sound rather than make it sound like old AIC.

There are some good songs though. Stone, Phantom Limb, Lab Monkey amongst others.

only pieces remain

i really like the title track, lab monkey, phantom limb and hung on a hook a lot. choke is pretty damn good too. Slowly warming up to this

theis

So yeah, this album is really growing on me!

beansandcornbread

Quote from: theis on May 28, 2013, 01:43 PM
So yeah, this album is really growing on me!

Yep, the more I listen to it, the better it's gotten.

FlyingPiranha

My first impressions are that it sounds a little more cohesive than BGWTB, in the sense that BGWTB was their first step back into the world as a creative entity, and this album is more naturally branching out from that. But on the other hand, not a ton of songs stood out, either. Probably going to take a few listens before it all starts sinking in, but that's not a bad thing.
Electric Factory 5.10.2011 // Sherman Theater 3.12.2013 // Sands Bethlehem 8.02.2016 // Festival Pier 6.17.2017

Jacob

I'm also starting to open up for this album. I think it's inevitable that I will always feel like Layne is missing. But like I said, I don't feel like DuVall is walking in there, taking up his place and trying to be a copy of Layne. And there's some fantastic material on this album, I think I just didn't expect such a change in sound since a lot of BGWTB did sound more like classic Alice. It's a good sign when I can't even come up with some names for favorite songs. There are so many. Still, not as good as BGWTB. But I'm fucking glad this band is still around and putting out music.

An interesting interview with Sean, very much on the subject: http://www.bravewords.com/news/204863