Sharing Lungs - Deftones Online Community

What are you playing right now?

Started by Moz La Punk, Apr 14, 2006, 12:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

oldgentlovecraft

Quote from: bright lights, big city on Dec 03, 2008, 05:52 PM
yeah I can see where you're coming from. I still enjoy from time to time playing the old Sonic games and Gunstar Heroes and the classic N64 games

Fuck yeah!  I just finally bought a 360 but I keep all of my old systems and that is what I usually play on.  I gradually upgrade because I don't see the point in dropping cash for a system that will be cheaper in a few years and I'll still have all of my old, better games to keep my occupied.

ToneDef

Quote from: aenemic on Dec 03, 2008, 05:41 PM
haha, yeah.. when I posted it said someone had just made a post. so I guess we were even typing at the same time.

I'm not saying all games are bad these days, there have been plenty enjoyable games. but all my favorite games which I can still play over and over again are pretty much all made before 2000 with only a few exceptions. more recent games I can only enjoy for one maybe two playthroughs and then they just don't hold up anymore. but that's how developers do games these days - the industry has grown so big that there are more games coming out all the time and you don't need games to last very long these days because there's always something else to play. at the same time the casual gamers have become a huge majority of the gaming industry and pretty much all games are made for this group.

I probably sound like I'm trying to put people down here, but I'm definitely not. I just miss when games were innovative and had more depth.

I agree with you to en extent man. The games industry is getting bigger all the time and there are more and more huge releases that just don't hold up in the long run. Games tend to go out of fashion quickly now too. Like at the moment I'm playing Assassins Creed, right? I had that shit last Christmas but I only just started playing. People hear I'm playing it though, or see I'm playing it on Live and they find it funny I'm playing a game that's like soooooo last year or whatever. That's ridiculous.

I work with a bunch of guys who are into the 360 and the whole accessibility of it, like it's their first games console, you know? Like their wife bought it for them or some shit because "all the other guys got one" or whatever. It used to be like me, a couple friends and whoever would own the same console.. or maybe I had a PSX and my friends would have a Saturn. Now EVERYBODY has a 360. Like maybe 30 people I know. To them it's just a must do to play the newest games and get rid of the old one a lot of the time. There really aren't many classics made nowadays.

It really sucks right now though because there are a bunch of games just coming out or that have recently been released that I wanted to jump on, but couldn't because my financial situation is fucked right now.

I'll say also that the gaming scene as a whole is just getting horrible. 13 and 14 year olds, raised in the PS2 era just turning every discussion into a 360 vs PS3 war or something. The same kids I have to mute on Halo 3 because they've grown up sitting in their rooms, making online 'friends' and not developing real social skills. It's sad, you know?

Online gaming is great, it really is. Counter Strike could be better than fucking sex back in the day. But while it's cool for us who've grown up through many previous console generations, I think it's a bad thing for gamers who are being raised on it, who don't know any better. Technically it is brilliant but socially it's fucking destructive.

I often miss the days of having to buy a fucking Playstation or Dreamcast magazine to know what was going on, or fucking Gamesmaster or some shit. Going round my friends for a Goldeneye all nighter and actually playing with people in the same room as me, you know? It was fun.

oldgentlovecraft

We still have Goldeneye parties!  Two nights ago actually.  And some of my brother's younger friends, those that barely know what an N64 is, fucking love it.

ToneDef

Respect man. Mine is stashed away somewhere with all my other consoles. It's just a shame it's not still like that. I mean why actually leave the room when you can meet up with the 'friends' online for 16 player, right?

oldgentlovecraft

Lol it was much better with older consoles and playing with friends in the same room.  I like online play, but it isn't the same. 

bright lights, big city

remember GameSharks too?? I remember getting excited because my cousin got the Cradle level for multiplayer Goldeneye. Granted it was laggy as shit, but whoa that was one of the coolest things
DERP

Quote from: rock_n_frost
Bright Lights !..Why the fuck are you so damn awesome? Cant you be a piece of shit sometimes?

bright lights, big city

oh and yeah, I am happy with my 360. I do enjoy the online experience, and the fact that all my friends have it. But our generation is totally the best, haha. Being raised during the SNES/Genesis wars or the the whole battle when Sony entered the market made us awesome. good times...
DERP

Bright Lights !..Why the fuck are you so damn awesome? Cant you be a piece of shit sometimes?

oldgentlovecraft

I absolutely agree!  We got to see the birth of the first generation of systems that every kid now thinks they're the master of. 

ToneDef

Gamesharks with the cheats? I had an Xplorer cheat cartridge but I could use Gameshark codes. Yeah I love my 360 man, I just hate the generation that are being raised on it. We had it the best for sure.

fireflyry

Quote from: tiger modeThats why we're all here. Deftones - common ground.

rock_n_frost

kof 98 and garou mow with ggpo emulator online

Quote from: Vesanic
You used to call me on my cellphone

Necrocetaceanbeastiality

I miss the N64.

I had a Genesis back in the day. Favorite game was fucking Boogerman.

I also miss my Saturn just for Panzer Dragoon and Scud.

oldgentlovecraft

Quote from: Necrocetaceanbeastiality on Dec 06, 2008, 10:09 PM
I miss the N64.

I had a Genesis back in the day. Favorite game was fucking Boogerman.

I also miss my Saturn just for Panzer Dragoon and Scud.

Lol @ Boogerman.  Forgot about that shit.  Reminds of great games like Earthworm Jim, Toejam and Earl, and I vaguely remember a badass 7UP Spot game on some forgotten system.

Jacob

started playing Dead Space today. seems pretty cool although the controls are awful on pc.
pray nightfall release me
then i could wander, wander to deep sleep

oldgentlovecraft

Currently:

Dead Space
Condemned: Criminal Origins
Condemned: Blood Shot
Gears of War
Silent Hill: Homecoming

bright lights, big city

finally got Fallout 3. fantastic.
DERP

fireflyry

Picked up Left 4 Dead yesterday.

Awesome, finally a great Zombie themed shooter that does'nt suck.

Only a small amount of levels atm but it's moddable so it should get better.Single player is pretty weak with pretty crap NPC A.I but it shines online.

Best co-op game I've played and being on the source engine means it looks awesome without having to spend $$$ on new gear.

If you dig run and gun FPS and are a Romero fan GET THIS GAME!!

I'm off to boomheadshotz.

Quote from: tiger modeThats why we're all here. Deftones - common ground.

Jacob

Dead Space is fucking awesome. might be the game of the year for me.
pray nightfall release me
then i could wander, wander to deep sleep

Crazylegs

Quote from: aenemic on Dec 15, 2008, 06:24 PM
Dead Space is fucking awesome. might be the game of the year for me.

i'm thinking the same at the moment. The biggest surprise of the year for me atleast.

shine down unshy

Quote from: fireflyry on Dec 13, 2008, 02:10 AM
Picked up Left 4 Dead yesterday.

Awesome, finally a great Zombie themed shooter that does'nt suck.

Only a small amount of levels atm but it's moddable so it should get better.Single player is pretty weak with pretty crap NPC A.I but it shines online.

Best co-op game I've played and being on the source engine means it looks awesome without having to spend $$$ on new gear.

If you dig run and gun FPS and are a Romero fan GET THIS GAME!!

I'm off to boomheadshotz.

I played the demo over and over. When I get some money I'm definitely buying this kickass game.

On another note, Mirror's Edge was actually pretty fun.  Played the demo and I want moaaaaar.