Sharing Lungs - Deftones Online Community

Opeth

Started by Assassin, May 13, 2006, 08:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Assassin

Thanks to BigDave, I have discovered the amazingness of Blackwater Park. I love the balance between the death metal vocals and heaviness, and the mellow, acoustic progressive style. It works so effectively, this is an album I could listen to any time.

So, which Opeth album should I check out next? Damnation was the first one I heard and I really wasn't that keen, so exclude that one.

Thanks in advance people.

333tone

i liked Ghost Reveries a lot. this album has some heavy stuff, but there are mellow songs too. Opeth have a great talent in changing the tempo, the mood of their songs... Ghost of perdition is a grat song!

If you think my castle  is built on sand, Well bring on the tides, You can fuck off and die. If you think my patience is ocean vast, Or river deep, You can fuck off and die.

Assassin

That's their latest album isn't it? Ok I'll download some songs from it and have a listen. Thanks a lot 333tone, karma for you. Have you heard any of their other albums?

333tone

yeah, it's their latest. i've heard Blackwater Park, and i agree with you. lately i heard Deliverance(2002), it's heavy too. the album that made them "famous" is their third, My Arms, Your Harse(had very good reviews). Still Life(1999) had even more progressive influences. in my opinion Opeth are a leading force in progressive death metal. and they've been a band since 1990

If you think my castle  is built on sand, Well bring on the tides, You can fuck off and die. If you think my patience is ocean vast, Or river deep, You can fuck off and die.

Assassin

Thanks for the info dude! I'm downloading some of their stuff now, I'll check out Deliverance too.

333tone

no problem, thanks for the karma ;)

Azwethinkweiz

I'm digging Ghost Reveries alot. Great album.
It's a little hard getting used to the growling, but I love the way he switches between the deep growls to the melodic singing.

I'm hearing alot of Porcupine Tree in their music.

Paint Your Lips

Seeing them on Roskilde. Should be fun.

Assassin

Quote from: Azwethinkweiz on May 13, 2006, 10:03 PM
I'm digging Ghost Reveries alot. Great album.
It's a little hard getting used to the growling, but I love the way he switches between the deep growls to the melodic singing.

I'm hearing alot of Porcupine Tree in their music.

I love the death growl he uses, I dunno how to explain it, it's harsh but relaxing at the same time... Especially the way he switches it up as you said, it's really effective. Oh and I read that someone from Porcupine Tree produced Blackwater Park, hence you being able to hear their influence in Opeth's music.

I've been getting into progressive rock/metal lately, so I've been meaning to check out some Porcupine Tree actually. Could you recommend an album of theirs I should listen to first?

Azwethinkweiz

In Absentia is their best album imo. A true masterpiece.

Deadwing and Lightbulb Sun are also excellent albums.

Assassin

Thanks man, karma for your help.

Chrisbo

Blackwater Park is an absolute masterpiece in my opinion! It's one of the most satisfying progressive albums you can find, everything flows well together, it's just awesome! Ghost Reveries is cool as well, but Blackwater Park is what I'd tell people to check out if they want to get into Opeth! And yeah, Steve Wilson from Porcupine Tree produced Blackwater Park, Deliverance and Damnation.

Quote from: Chino Moreno
You are as cool as you tell yourself you are...everybody just do what you do...have a good time...don't walk around being a punk...walk around and be excited...live your life

yoda on mars

opeth? aren't they some nu-metal band?

Chrisbo

Far from it my man! I think you're getting mixed up with Otep!

You are as cool as you tell yourself you are...everybody just do what you do...have a good time...don't walk around being a punk...walk around and be excited...live your life

Azwethinkweiz

yoda on mars

Quote from: Chrisbo on May 16, 2006, 11:16 AM
Far from it my man! I think you're getting mixed up with Otep!

oh, yeah, maybe ;D anyways, are they cool? I'll check them out.

Chrisbo

Opeth are a fucking great band! I would seriously recommend you check them out! If you want to hear what they're like then check out their my space, they've got two of their best songs up there "The Drapery Falls" and "Bleak"

http://www.myspace.com/opeth

And here's some fan spaces

http://www.myspace.com/opethianfrost

http://www.myspace.com/opethtribute

yoda on mars

"the drappery falls" is such great song. amazing! I love it! KK!

yoda on mars

could someone upload BLACKWATER PARK?

Chrisbo

Quote from: yoda on mars on May 16, 2006, 07:04 PM
could someone upload BLACKWATER PARK?

I would if I had the time man, but these days I hardly get onto the computer at home! Glad you dig 'The Drapery Falls' though man, there was a point when I just couldnt stop listening to that song!