Sharing Lungs - Deftones Online Community

Martial Arts (Who here trains?)

Started by rainnyx4, Aug 04, 2006, 08:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rainnyx4

We've already got a MMA thread so there must at least be a few people who train in some martial art.  I currently study Aikido (10 years on and off, currently on for good I hope) and Judo (just over a year and on for good as well).  I've only got one more year of college left so after that if I end up relocating I may drop Aikido for Kyokushin Karate as I've never trained in a striking art and I really want to learn how to hit.  I'd also like to study Shinkendo at some point as well.  You guys might recognize the founder of Shinkendo as Tetsu from the TMNT movies.  Apparently he's the real deal and is considered the best living Japanese swordsman.

www.shinkendo.com

Breach Unborn

i dont do any training right now because i'm still in college. after college i'd like to learn more jui jitsu and boxing..i took a few jui jitsu classes in highschool and just didnt have time any more because i played baseball. i do some weight training now and that's about it

Teddy.

I plan on taking some jiu jitsu classes later on when I have the money to pay for it. Another thing i'm thinking about learning is muay thai but that would be hard and painful haha but then again it would definately be worth it.

Breach Unborn

^yeah..if you wanna be good in the clinch you've got to know muay thai

law

I used to train. I was a 1st Dan in Karate then started Jiu Jistsu but didn't have the time to pursue it :(

ZetecTuner

I'm planning on starting Jiu Jitsu soon, when I have the money, probably in a month or two.

My step dad is an Aikido teacher, 2nd degree black belt. My sister and little brother do it as well. So I need to get in on something to still be able to kick their asses.

Kyokushin Karate is a striking sport huh? Maybe I should look into that. I wouldn't mind learning how to strike too.

rainnyx4

Quote from: ZetecTuner on Aug 20, 2006, 01:35 AM
I'm planning on starting Jiu Jitsu soon, when I have the money, probably in a month or two.

My step dad is an Aikido teacher, 2nd degree black belt. My sister and little brother do it as well. So I need to get in on something to still be able to kick their asses.

Kyokushin Karate is a striking sport huh? Maybe I should look into that. I wouldn't mind learning how to strike too.

Kyokushin Karate is absolutely badass.  Read up on Mas Oyama and you'll see.  I'd recommend Judo over Jiu-Jitsu as a starting art though.  Jiu-Jitsu guys don't do enough stand-up stuff (since their focus is on groundwork about 80/20 opposed to standup).  Judo is mainly a standing art but still covers groundwork pretty well.  It flips the ratio for the most part 80/20 standing to ground.  Judo is also usually dirt cheap whereas Jiu-Jitsu usually is pretty expensive.

Breach Unborn

the Judo/Jui-Jitsu combination would be good to learn, even for a starter. using the judo stand up and tosses (like in your sig^), and then executing the jui-jitsu ground game. regular boxing would be something worth taking too

Teddy.

National Geographics Fight Science is up now. I wanted to watch it but I don't have that channel.

Here's a description:

National Geographics Fight Science

It strikes four times faster than a snake. It kicks with more than 1,000 pounds (453.59 kg) of force. And it can rival the impact of a 35 mph (56.33 kph) car crash. It's the most complex weapon ever designed—the human body. National Geographic Channel brings together a team of experts and a cross section of champion martial arts masters to analyze the world's greatest fighting techniques and find out which discipline has the hardest hits, the fastest moves, and even the deadliest weapons.

if you're interested you can download here
http://torrentspy.com/torrent/841613/National_Geographics_Fight_Science_DSR_XviD_KmF_avi_eztv_Kimble

rainnyx4

Quote from: Teddy. on Aug 22, 2006, 04:50 PM
National Geographics Fight Science is up now. I wanted to watch it but I don't have that channel.

Here's a description:

National Geographics Fight Science

It strikes four times faster than a snake. It kicks with more than 1,000 pounds (453.59 kg) of force. And it can rival the impact of a 35 mph (56.33 kph) car crash. It's the most complex weapon ever designed—the human body. National Geographic Channel brings together a team of experts and a cross section of champion martial arts masters to analyze the world's greatest fighting techniques and find out which discipline has the hardest hits, the fastest moves, and even the deadliest weapons.

if you're interested you can download here
http://torrentspy.com/torrent/841613/National_Geographics_Fight_Science_DSR_XviD_KmF_avi_eztv_Kimble

I saw it.  It was TERRIBLE.  It was pretty much a LARPer suckfest.  It was back and forth between BS Dim-Mak Touch of Death too d3adly 4 teh str33t ninja magic and actual real fighters.  The only good parts were when they tested out Rickson Gracie's bone-breaking power and the 3 seconds they showed Toshishiro Obata.

Teddy.

I heard muay thai had the hardest strikes

Spaghetti Western

submission wrestling, kickboxing, and a little bit of freestyle wrestling. I've also dabbled in Judo and Kyukushin. I hardly have time or money to train anymore and I had just started to pick up MMA. I'm actually thinking of taking a semester off, getting a job at a warehouse or something, and training alot of MMA just to see how far I can push myself before I get sucked into the monotony of life.

Gaz

I did Taekwondo for 9 years and got to black belt, but then I started college and really fell out of the routine of training three times a week and just didn't have time and didn't really want to carry on, I've got loads of trophies from fights I won and I'm proud that I did it

I'm seriously thinking of taking up Muay Thai when I leave University

Spaghetti Western

Quote from: Ghost of a Bullet on Dec 09, 2006, 04:43 PM
I did Taekwondo for 9 years and got to black belt, but then I started college and really fell out of the routine of training three times a week and just didn't have time and didn't really want to carry on, I've got loads of trophies from fights I won and I'm proud that I did it

I'm seriously thinking of taking up Muay Thai when I leave University
Do it!

biggdude01

I have been doing Taekwondo for about 10 years and have just started learning some Jiu jitsu. Have also studied some Bruce Lee books on all sorts of things. its cool

Hidalgo

i took tae-kwan-do from when i was 12-16. i got pretty damn good at it, kicking like Van Dam(that's who i tried to emulate). but... i'm 27 now, messed up hamstring, & not nearly as flexable as i once was

dai_the_flu86

i did tae kwon do for about 4 years but then decided to make the switch to jow ga kung fu recently. Im not as gracefull as i was in hs, cuz of all the excessive partying and being in a band for a while and all that, now im suffering, and the kung fu work outs we do is so much harder.

Gaz

I've found a few Muay Thai classes around my area, I'm gonna start up soon, can't wait.

Nailec

oh cool perhaps someone has some nice advices for me.

- im training both capoeira angola und capoeira regional for 1-2 years now
-i made judo for id say 10 years
-some experiences with fencing and wushu

now i am searching for somethin to kick some asses and acutally develop hard kicks and probablly punches but my kicks should me more effective since i am 190 cm high but only weigh about 60kg so i dont have that much power ;)

what would be better? karate or taekwondo?

or should i go on with wushu?

Gaz

Quote from: Nailec on Feb 22, 2007, 04:05 PM
oh cool perhaps someone has some nice advices for me.

- im training both capoeira angola und capoeira regional for 1-2 years now
-i made judo for id say 10 years
-some experiences with fencing and wushu

now i am searching for somethin to kick some asses and acutally develop hard kicks and probablly punches but my kicks should me more effective since i am 190 cm high but only weigh about 60kg so i dont have that much power ;)

what would be better? karate or taekwondo?

or should i go on with wushu?

If you want really hard striking, Muay Thai or maybe even standard kickboxing.