Sharing Lungs - Deftones Online Community

Mastodon

Started by Chrisbo, Sep 13, 2006, 08:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chrisbo

This band deserves a proper good thread (did a search, couldnt find a proper good one) because they are fucking immense! 'Blood Mountain' is probably one of the best new albums I've heard in a very long time (well since Leviathan and Panopticon). Personally for me, I would say they are the mother fucking gods of modern day heavy metal, fuck Trivium and all those other bands, they dont know what the hell they're doing compared to this lot. So yeah, just wondering what the general opinion of them is here?

(Just noticed as well, in the recent email from the Deftones mailing list, they mention something about a Mastodon e-card and how they 'respect them' and all that. It's always cool to find that one of your favourite bands digs another of your favourite bands heh).

Quote from: Chino Moreno
You are as cool as you tell yourself you are...everybody just do what you do...have a good time...don't walk around being a punk...walk around and be excited...live your life

Lil Pesci

I like them. I am still waiting for someone to upload Blood Mountain, although Ive already heard it on their myspace page when they had it posted. Im also a big QOTSA fan so it was tight to hear that track with Josh Homme.

Teddy.

I can't wait to hear Blood Mountain. Mastodon really is a great modern day metal band. Do any of you have live vids of them?

tarkil

Yeah, I dig them too...

If ignorance is bliss, then knock the smile off my face.

pissedandpierced

I'm still waiting for my copy to arrive  :'(
"It's good to be classic, it kinda shows that we're old" - Chino Moreno, Kerrang! Awards 2007

Chrisbo

Dont have any live videos myself, but did a wee search on you tube and came up with a few pretty cool vids

Aqua Dementia: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_5UIYvbX9OU

Circle Of Cysquatch: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vs23iF3hnWo

Ol'e Nessie: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9rIUTJgf6PA

Mother Puncher: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uNFAgsUamx8

March Of The Fire Ants: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pLv8SDpOExY

Blood & Thunder (check the title though, what an eejit): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8fG2noRLgYA

Seriously though, the more I listen to Blood Mountain, the more I think it's a masterpiece, could even be their best yet, even better than Leviathan, and that's saying something. I would upload it but I dont have the time to do that just now. And the song with Josh Homme is pretty damn cool yeah! He also speaks on a secret track at the end, being the typical fool that he is haha! :D

You are as cool as you tell yourself you are...everybody just do what you do...have a good time...don't walk around being a punk...walk around and be excited...live your life

Jacob

I had the chance to see them live at a festival last year but for some reason I didn't do that. I guess I had a few more beers instead.

but I regret that, considering they're awesome.
pray nightfall release me
then i could wander, wander to deep sleep

Chrisbo

Mastodon was definitely one of the best live shows I've ever been to, the energy between the band and the crowd was immense! If you get a chance to see them again, take it man! I cant wait until they come back here. Apparently after they finish the tour with Converge and The Bronx, they're doing a few dates in Japan and then taking a month break (as Bill has got a baby on the way) before doing a long European tour. Cant wait!

beLIEve

caught these dudes a few nights ago in toronto with converge and the bronx,it was pretty massive..

if vikings ever listened to music,im sure all they would  listen to is mastodon

:)

Oldnewtype

I just heard Mastodon is doing the theme to the new aqua teen movie, sweet.

Malpractice

I was going to check them out live like a week ago but i was too tired after converge played so i just went home.

from what i have heard of them they are good and i enjoyed the interviews i have seen with them

Jizzlobber

yeah i love Mastodon too. kick ass band,. deep heavy riffs, brilliantly free flowing drums, and the song and album themes are always well thought out. mastodon = brilliant
<

Chrisbo

Yeah Brann Dailor is definitely one of the most impressive drummers out there that's for sure!

yoda on mars

Quote from: beLIEve on Sep 14, 2006, 08:44 PM
if vikings ever listened to music,im sure all they would  listen to is mastodon

:)

dude, have you ever heard of AMON AMARTH? they're real vikings YARRR!!!

anyway, mastodon is one of the best heavy bands I've ever heard. the're really melodic and heavy at the same time. leviathan is a classsic.

Teddy.

Amon Amarth is tight, when I listen to them I think of vikings going to war.

Chrisbo

Hey Yoda, you got the new album yet?

Crazylegs

Mastodon are great. I'm not really into their genre of music, but these guys kick.

Chrisbo

See that's what's good about Mastodon, they have a little bit of everything. Traditional rock/metal, Thrash metal, hardcore, metalcore, progressive metal, psychadelia. It's quite hard to just pin them down to one genre, and that's really refreshing, especially in the modern metal world.

Azwethinkweiz

holy crapstick, i just listened to Blood Mountain. that album blew me away.

im definitely buying it. i cant believe i havent checked Mastodon out sooner.

Is Leviathen (sp?) also worth getting?

Chrisbo

Leviathan is just as if not more worth getting than Blood Mountain! All their album releases up to now have been downright amazing in my eyes!