Sharing Lungs - Deftones Online Community

Mastodon

Started by Chrisbo, Sep 13, 2006, 05:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

theis

I've been spinning Crack the Skye on repeat the past few days. While I think it's a fantastic album, I still think that Leviathan and Blood Mountain are better.

I'm disappointed with it in the way that I was hoping it would blow me away even more than the past two albums.

devlin

i think this is by far their best. i was most definitly blown away.

bright lights, big city

upon the first listen, i was definitely blown.  away.
DERP

Quote from: rock_n_frost
Bright Lights !..Why the fuck are you so damn awesome? Cant you be a piece of shit sometimes?

Alvar

the only problem with this album is that they tried so hard to make an epic sounding, old-school progressive album, that it lacks a bit in variety. it just felt a bit monotonous compared to their past albums.

but its still damn good

last.fm/user/z0z0bra
The streets have gone dark. They've been dark for days. We board up the house. Hide upstairs and wait!

devlin

Quote from: Alvar on Mar 27, 2009, 04:57 PM
"it lacks a bit in variety

i think its all part of the story they are telling. it would sound wierd and out of place, not to mention stray from the story, if they threw in a real heavy, crazy, fast track to spice things up. then they would have been trying to hard IMO.

skooks

The new album is sick as fuck to listen to when you're stoned.
That is all.
http://www.last.fm/user/skooks
http://skooks.tumblr.com/

Science flies you to the moon. Religion flies you into buildings.

Oldnewtype

Quote from: Alvar on Mar 27, 2009, 04:57 PM
the only problem with this album is that they tried so hard to make an epic sounding, old-school progressive album, that it lacks a bit in variety. it just felt a bit monotonous compared to their past albums.

but its still damn good

they didnt really try to make it sound like that, it just happened to come out that way.

I loe the shit out of the new album, all of the lyrics are really really good and I'm more amped about seeing them in 12 days than i have been for any other band in a long time.

lostpilot

QuoteMany bands claim to be psychedelic rock, but Mastodon actually lobbies for the title. From an article in the April 16, 2009, issue of Rolling Stone:

The Mastodon brain trust of Hinds and Dailor get their weird lyrical ideas the old fashioned way: "It comes from us doing too much acid," Hinds says. "Acid is the best drug in the world. It did the most amazing things for my creative psyche, and it still is doing things for me."

Seeking refuge from an operatically awful childhood, drummer-lyricist Dailor tripped almost nonstop from the age of 14 until his early 20s. "I went to high school on acid," he recalls. "Droppers filled with liquid acid on my tongue and just going for it, fully exiting what I consider to be an earthly plane. And when the acid wore off, I had a connection with that kind of music, with Frank Zappa and Yes and King Crimson."

Mastodon has a new album out, 'Crack the Skye', but I'm not too impressed with their first single, so instead I'll feed you the crazy Blood and Thunder video from the album 'Leviathan'. Of course, if you're not a fan of metal or death metal or anything remotely metal-ish, you can just skip it.

whodunit?

Quote from: penguin in the desert on Mar 27, 2009, 03:59 PM
I've been spinning Crack the Skye on repeat the past few days. While I think it's a fantastic album, I still think that Leviathan and Blood Mountain are better.

I'm disappointed with it in the way that I was hoping it would blow me away even more than the past two albums.

I have to totally agree with you.

Crazylegs

Crazylegs

i got this mafucka in the post today

hot

theis

Oldnewtype

theprp.com says they may end up making a crack the skye movie

oldgentlovecraft

Quote from: whodunit? on Apr 01, 2009, 08:26 AM
Quote from: penguin in the desert on Mar 27, 2009, 03:59 PM

I have to totally agree with you.

Agreed.  I absolutely love these guys but this album feels like it lost some of that intense, heavy edge.

bright lights, big city

Quote from: Oldnewtype on May 05, 2009, 10:43 PM
theprp.com says they may end up making a crack the skye movie
i just read that as well. unexpected but interesting news, i guess
DERP

Bright Lights !..Why the fuck are you so damn awesome? Cant you be a piece of shit sometimes?

theis

Mastodon on Letterman:

[youtube=425,350]YmFFGvznE8w[/youtube]

8)

Pretty funny that Brann is the best vocalist in the band, haha!

devlin

new video for "oblivion" premires tomorrow on myspace. they have a trailer up for it now.

tarkil

Hole In The Earth !!!!!!!

Sort of.... Waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay less gay though

If ignorance is bliss, then knock the smile off my face.

bright lights, big city

copied this from aint it cool news:

JONAH HEX news so mind-meltingly awesome that only Satan's Mighty Balls are cooler!

Hey folks, Harry here with awesomeness the likes of which only Medusa's slithering snakey bush might conceal badassery to match. It seems this is the time of year where little birdies will come a calling with mind-numbing news of unmatched wowitude.

Today - and many other days as well - the metal gods known as MASTODON have been not so quietly scoring the film JONAH HEX. When I asked what it was sounding like, the only response was, "Needless to say, pretty heavy!"

Man - Daft Punk doing TRON 2. Mastodon doing JONAH HEX - geek just got real cool - The metal sounds of an occult western. SO COOL. I really do have an incredibly good feeling about this. Of course, I also bought tickets for METALOCALYPSE with Dethklok and Mastodon this November here in Austin, so I'm chomping at the bit for this tiny rocking bit of awe! How about you?
DERP

Deft11_17ones

Another great band that I havent seen life yet  :'( All their CDs are so great and crack the sky is a masterpiece