Sharing Lungs - Deftones Online Community

Mastodon

Started by Chrisbo, Sep 13, 2006, 05:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Oldnewtype

Good question.

Man The Hunter totally blows Crack the Skye out of the fucking water.... I might have to drop the big bucks just to see them play some of this stuff live.

ben

So so so so good

sing blue silver

Quote from: Oldnewtype on Sep 19, 2011, 05:16 PM
Good question.

Man The Hunter totally blows Crack the Skye out of the fucking water.... I might have to drop the big bucks just to see them play some of this stuff live.

that can't be. about to give it my first listen but crack the skye is their masterpiece. give it time and i'm sure you'll calm down and realize they can never top that album.

theis

I think it's unfair to compare the two albums.

Crack the Skye is full on prog-metal and The Hunter is much more straight forward/punk'ish.

Anyways, new album fucking rules.

BillyNo.9

Have you guys got physical copies ? I pre-ordered and it's not set to be released for 8 days :S

sing blue silver

Quote from: BillyNo.9 on Sep 19, 2011, 09:25 PM
Have you guys got physical copies ? I pre-ordered and it's not set to be released for 8 days :S

leak

Deadradio

I like this album!

bright lights, big city

Quote from: theis on Sep 19, 2011, 09:06 PM
I think it's unfair to compare the two albums.

Crack the Skye is full on prog-metal and The Hunter is much more straight forward/punk'ish.

Anyways, new album fucking rules.
Right on
DERP

Quote from: rock_n_frost
Bright Lights !..Why the fuck are you so damn awesome? Cant you be a piece of shit sometimes?

BillyNo.9

Fuck I'm loving this. I wouldn't call it punky but, its definitely a lot brighter sounding

sing blue silver

it kicks. love it so far. it's like they brought back the frantic, heavy flavor of their earlier music but gave it more melodic vocals.

bright lights, big city

Favorite tracks?

Mine is probably Octopus Has No Friends, followed by Stargasm and The Sparrow
DERP

Quote from: rock_n_frost
Bright Lights !..Why the fuck are you so damn awesome? Cant you be a piece of shit sometimes?

luisch

Stargasm, Octopus has no friends and Spectrelight
Searching the machine might reveal what you don't want to know

White Wrist

it´s huge. period!

theis

BillyNo.9

Quote from: theis on Sep 22, 2011, 03:53 PM
Haha, what the fuck.

This is pretty much where they get their inspiration from right?

Reminds me of this...

tarkil

OMG, I just go a week on holidays, and this fucker leaks !??!?

BRB, gonna check the interwebz !!!!!!!

If ignorance is bliss, then knock the smile off my face.

theis

Received the album in the mail today.

I only listened to the leak once so I'm gonna have this badboy on repeat for a while now.

Crazylegs

This is without a doubt my least favorite record of theirs.

Jacob

I gotta say I'm disappointed. over the last few months I've listened a lot to Blood Mountain and Leviathan. I left Crack The Skye for later, believing it was their masterpiece and looked forward to hearing it. but I just can't get into it now. I think it's too clean and somewhat pretentious. I know, that's a difficult word to use with a band like Mastodon, but it somehow feels like instead of experimenting with themes as they did before, they had made up their on what the "perfect" Mastodon album would sound like and it kinda falls completely flat. what I like about the previous albums is how spontaneous they are, without being simple. Crack The Skye sounds like it's supposed to be more challening, but actually ends up too simple and one-sided.

and on The Hunter, not only have they completely lost their dirty gritty sound, but they seem to have lost all inspiration for writing original songs. half of the songs on the album sound like pretty generic classic rock songs from the 70's and 80's, played by a modern band. take Spectrelight, for example. I just can't stop hearing "Run To The Hills" when listening to that song. it's not BAD, it's actually one of the best modern takes on classic rock I've heard. but it's not what made me love Leviathan and Blood Mountain.

I'm all for bands changing direction and trying new things out. I'm just disappointed, that's all.
pray nightfall release me
then i could wander, wander to deep sleep

theis

Damn, I couldn't disagree more. I absolutely love it.

Stargasm, Blasteroid, Dry Bone Valley, Creature Lives, The Sparrow... those are the highlights. But really, I don't think there is one weak song. I love that they didn't make a Crack the Skye, Part 2.

As it stands now, I couldn't pick a favorite Mastodon album. I love them all equally for different reasons.