Sharing Lungs - Deftones Online Community

Chino interview - Confirms Risk was written about Chi

Started by lxix, Nov 13, 2010, 09:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

lxix

SORRY if this has been posted before, i dont come on these boards as much anymore.. i've done a quick search.

http://www.yorkshireeveningpost.co.uk/news/Music-Interview-The-Deftones-.6622378.jp

Music Interview: The Deftones

Published Date: 11 November 2010
By Pete Nash

The Deftones are a five-piece metal band from Sacramento, California. They have released six albums, the most recent of which, Diamond Eyes, was a top 10 hit in the USA and Germany and reached No.15 in the UK.

On the eve of their British tour I spoke to singer Chino Moreno.

Pete Nash: Diamond Eyes seems to be a properly written "album", rather than just a collection of songs. Is the whole thing written with any particular theme in mind?

Chino Moreno: There wasn't any preconceived theme going into the record other than that, at the time we were writing we were going through a lot of changes.
Obviously with (bass player] Chi (Cheng]'s accident happening we kind of had to rebuild our infrastructure in a way so, when we went in to record we took a look back at the way we'd been working for the last couple of records and the way we used to work previously to those records and we came to the decision that we wanted to make a more lively record were, you know, it was created all in one space at one time.
You know; all of us together in one space and try not to rely on too much computers and technology and just play music organically.
We did it all pretty fast; it was just a few months of writing which is pretty much record time for us.

You've Seen the Butcher is a stand-out track for me. Do you have any particular favourites on the album?

A lot of them for different reasons. The song Risk is the one song that stands out a little bit for me. The lyrical content, thinking of it, it's probably one of the most, I think touching, and moving songs for me 'cause it deals with Chi's situation and speaks out a little bit.
For me, I have a hard time saying "I'm gonna make a song and it's going to be about this subject matter" and then go ahead and accomplish it.
For me, that always seems a little bit contrived and I always find a way to kind of squirt my way out of it, you know what I mean?...and with that track I actually allowed myself to just go straight for it, so it's probably just one of the most honest songs on the record. I kind of just removed the veil and just said what I wanted to say.

Sergio Vega plays bass on this album. Has he been very involved in the writing process?

Definitely, yeah, he had a big part to do with everything. When he came in the idea was, basically, we wanted to play together. We hadn't played any of our old songs or anything in well over a year 'cause we'd been in the studio recording a whole other batch of songs with Chi and when his accident happened we kind of started over. So, when (Sergio Vega] came in the idea was just to jam together but the first day he was there we started writing.
We wrote the first song, which was Royal, and pieces of Prince and some other stuff on the record. I think it might only have been a couple of weeks and we had, like, four or five really strong song ideas.

You've been touring the US already. How's the tour been so far?

It's been great. We've been around doing a lot of supporting acts, we haven't really done any proper headlining tours yet so this'll be great for us going overseas and doing some proper headlining shows.
We're really excited, there's a lot of energy right now in our camp. As a band, everybody feels real close right now. We're just excited to be playing this new music. A lot of it is going over very well.
Usually when we have a new record coming out we play very little from it and rely heavily on our back catalogue but, with this record, it seems like there's a lot of new fans and, you, know, younger fans and this is their first exposure to Deftones. I've seen a lot of really good response to a lot of the new material so it's been really fun to be performing (it].

The tour itself is quite hectic; there are lots of dates, not many days off and it goes on for quite a while. How important do you think touring is in the current climate of the music industry?

For us, I think that's pretty much our livelihood. We've always been a touring band. We're in this middle kind of area where we're not the poppy-est of bands and we're not the most underground of bands. We're kind of in this area where us being out touring has always been our strong point and that's pretty much how we make a living.
For us days off are few and far between but I think it's good like that because we like to be working and playing the shows is the most important part of our day... so the more shows we can squeeze in without really tiring ourselves out the better.

When you're out on tour what do miss most about being home?

I have these mountains by my house that I hike in pretty much every day. I'm actually just coming down the mountain right now. I've become a real naturalist and I like to get out every morning, it's my favourite time of day.
You know, going into a gym is a little sterile; it still works for me but I love just getting out in the mountains and being home with my dog and doing stuff like that, you know? So that's probably the thing I miss the most. And, obviously, my family and friends.

So, what do you think of current metal? Are there any current bands that you enjoy?

It's crazy, I don't really know too much about contemporary metal. I have two teenage sons and they've been schooling me lately on a lot of what I consider new (nu) metal, because it's actually newer metal and the name really fits for it. I actually like it. I was surprised by how good a lot of the newer stuff is. The erm... I'm gonna call it younger metal, a lot of it is a throwback to the earlier metal that caught my attention at their age. From some of the screamo stuff to the throwback kind of thrash metal; I'm diggin' it.

When do you suppose we'll see an end to this emo nonsense?

I don't know. It's become difficult for me, the lines are blurred, I don't know what emo is, it's hard to decipher. One thing that's funny that I was pointing out to my son the other day when he was showing me these bands: You know, a lot of these bands they have two singers; one guy who's the guy who's screaming his head off or doing the Cookie Monster vocals or whatever, then the chord comes in and they've got the guy who sings the pretty stuff and I was pointing out to my son that, you know, it's cool that you like all these bands and stuff but, you know, your dad can do both of these jobs in one.

So, after this tour, what's next for Deftones?

After this we come back home, re-group for the holidays, and then we go off to Australia in the new year for the Big Day Out which should be really interesting 'cause there's some great bands, and then we'll continue touring for as long as we can on this record. So, hopefully, we have another year or so.

Nov 13 @ O2 Academy Leeds, Cookridge Street, Leeds, 7pm, £25. www.ticketweb.co.uk.

bodywars9000

Vesanic

It was all pretty messy so I added underlines, etc, hope you don't mind. Thanks for sharing.

RoyalDeftonicBoy

" It's cool that you like all these bands and stuff but, you know, your dad can do both of these jobs in one "

Best line on that cool Interview ! :D

Deftones-argentina

godin

Dingus.

rock_n_frost

that ''your dad cab do it all in one'' part made me lol
Quote from: Vesanic
You used to call me on my cellphone

Hesperian Death-Horse!

Quote from: RoyalDeftonicBoy on Nov 13, 2010, 06:55 PM
" It's cool that you like all these bands and stuff but, you know, your dad can do both of these jobs in one "

I also enjoyed this line. He must be the coolest dad to have ever.

Korea Rounding

Quote from: Hesperian Death-Horse! on Nov 14, 2010, 08:30 AM
He must be the coolest dad to have ever.

Except that he is never there because of his job touring, messing around with other women other than his child's mother and has been involved with hard drugs during his childs upbringing

lxix

Quote from: Vesanic on Nov 13, 2010, 05:58 PM
It was all pretty messy so I added underlines, etc, hope you don't mind. Thanks for sharing.

Thanks man, looks a lot better like that.

from_musings

bet chino is very good once he's there and takes care of the kids but, no ,he's probably away too much to be parent of the year. chino said in an interview about ten yeras ago that Kobi would follow him to the airport and say goodbye and then later on when the tour was over - came to meet him once he returned. which meant that kobi only saw dad go on the plane and then off the plane which led to that he thought chino had been on the plane all the time he was gone and because of that freaked out about it.

deftones86

Quote from: Korea Rounding on Nov 14, 2010, 08:49 AM
He must be the coolest dad to have ever.

Chino is the best dad in the world because of his job touring, messing around with other women other than his child's mother and has been involved with hard drugs during his childs upbringing

Fixed

m1nusblindfoLd

Seriously the best thing I've ever read on here. That is awesome..

Slacker

Quote from: m1nusblindfoLd on Nov 14, 2010, 04:55 PM

awesome

Martin

Word xD

deftonekid

Quote from: Martin on Nov 16, 2010, 07:06 PM

Word xD
+1 :D

Subliminal

Quote from: m1nusblindfoLd on Nov 14, 2010, 04:55 PM

1+

Chino is the fucking man afterall.

Vesanic

I wonder how many times you guys will quote that line.