"Ohms" - Deftones New Album

Started by Drop-Dead, Aug 20, 2020, 04:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Inkblades

Quote from: Vesanic on Sep 26, 2020, 03:13 AM
Quote from: FatherUppercut on Sep 26, 2020, 02:51 AM
1. Urantia

::)

LOL I thought we were all mature on this board now and not poo-pooing other people's opinions. Because if not, I'm ready to dig in and tell you why ALL of you motherfuckers are wrong on everything.

BTW just received an email from them that my bundle has shipped.

976-EVIL

Pretty cool that the diverse view of "favorite" vs. "least  favorite" tracks is so wide open. Not a lot everyone agrees with. Says quite a bit about how solid this record is to most of us.
One last Thing...You Should Beware the Content!!

Thank God that you........ love..... at all.

Vesanic

Just having fun. Truthfully though I can't connect to Urantia at all.

Visionz

Quote from: Speedking on Sep 25, 2020, 09:36 PM
Re-reg account here from the days of waiting for SNW, the smoking avatar guy, the Lovecraft guy, and the guy who posted as Sammy Davis Jr going on about being buck naked all the time (maybe you had to be there). Tried and failed to reopen my old account but maybe a good thing not to have to re-acquaint myself with 24 year-old me.

Anyway. Great album, not blown away on the first listen but liking it more each time, and I'd place 'Genesis' and 'Spell' and 'Pompeji' in the top tier Tones material personally.  I think this has the strongest opener since Hexagram in terms of impact, although as a song Praters/Triangles is fairly impeccable to my ears. I also do dig 'Ceremony' and 'Radiant', with 'Headless' growing on me (the one place I was reminded of ATF).

'Urantia' has that major-ish melody thing they did all over Gore but with good production. 'Link' has little to do with the song it's been compared to IMO, and it's very post HC to me. Wonder it Sergio had a strong hand on it as a result.

Some of the atmospheric parts and segues throughout the album are exceptional.

I think the songs are no more complex than a lot of the last two albums tbh, just think they have had less time to sink in. If you think back to Rosemary for instance, or Riviere, it's a bit like that for the main, this isn't Justice or Opeth.

Got the (black) vinyl and CD through today and listened to the lossy rip a few times the day it came out, put it to bed for release then. The CD is a marked improvement on the rip (obviously).

I have to say the vinyl isn't brilliant to my ears. The treble is reeaaaally sibilant at times and it sounds compressed, don't think it's been hugely worked on as a specific vinyl mastering. A nice keepsake for likely the only new release I'll buy on vinyl in this strange piece of time though and good to support the band. You'd do fine just buying the CD IMO.

The packaging on both sucks a bit. Great booklet and photography and what I think will become an iconic cover placed onto crappy thin card. The CD barely fits in, and I thought the Gore digipack was bad. The lyric sheet in my LP has a big, scored dog-ear fold too. Lovely. Also a cheap paper inner sleeve for the LP, I hate these, they stick to the wax with static and I always have to clean paper debris (of the past) off them. It's been replaced.

It's not beaten Koi as record of the Sergio era for me, I'd place it alongside Diamond Eyes and above Gore however. It's been a trip for sure.

Apologies about the long post.

Also my top 3 and all of them i hope to rest right there among the top Dtones trax of all time. I feel that way abt em now anyways. Enjoying the whole record pretty much. Coulda done 9 songs without TLID and i wlda been cool

FatherUppercut

Quote from: Inkblades on Sep 26, 2020, 04:07 AM
Quote from: Vesanic on Sep 26, 2020, 03:13 AM
Quote from: FatherUppercut on Sep 26, 2020, 02:51 AM
1. Urantia

::)

LOL I thought we were all mature on this board now and not poo-pooing other people's opinions. Because if not, I'm ready to dig in and tell you why ALL of you motherfuckers are wrong on everything.

BTW just received an email from them that my bundle has shipped.

you guys are crazy.... Urantia fucks!  8)

After I wrote that I listened to pompeji a few more times. Still meh. How do you pronounce pompeji btw?

Antonch

I'm waiting elimination game

Visionz

I love how i get pulled down a rabbit hole with Headless. Track starts and im like at a Crosses show and all of a sudden ots Deftones at their most interesting and strangest. Good tune, just dont get the shit they start out with. Lotta "pop" parts in the album i get over only bc they r usually at the beginning of the songs and the songs get way better later. Kind of a trend im picking up here

Visionz

Chino seems to be talking to his wife to add to what i said abt Urantia. Cant wait for a record jacket fkn shit piss widafooooooock!!!!! Track growing on me also. Like an 80s ballad ala Dtones 2020 or something idk wt to make of it. I play it thru is all i know. He rifles thru her bag after lighting her butt from the tray is what i hear

EDIT... never mind, im convinced now that it is a song to his wife but make what u will. Its a good track and even better for whatever reason that its sorta personal. He does that, bit not so much simce Mascara

pannch

Quote from: Hidalgo on Sep 26, 2020, 04:00 AM
Quote from: mandalay on Sep 26, 2020, 03:31 AM
First off, I'm really happy that so many people are in love with this record.  I wish I could say the same but it does absolutely nothing for me.  I find very little of it memorable, catchy, or impressive.  It all kinda sounds the same.  Chino's vocals are super pitchy.  Some of the guitar work is impressive and interesting, but again not catchy or crushing some like some of Stef's past work.  Maybe a few more listen things will change, but for now this record makes Gore seem like a masterpiece.
if you want catchy this is the wrong band. they've never made super catchy stuff

Uhhh I disagree here mate. I guess what he meant by  catchy is something which is gravitating and not something which accessible and easy to listen to.

mandalay

Quote from: pannch on Sep 26, 2020, 05:33 AM
First off, I'm really happy that so many people are in love with this record.  I wish I could say the same but it does absolutely nothing for me.  I find very little of it memorable, catchy, or impressive.  It all kinda sounds the same.  Chino's vocals are super pitchy.  Some of the guitar work is impressive and interesting, but again not catchy or crushing some like some of Stef's past work.  Maybe a few more listen things will change, but for now this record makes Gore seem like a masterpiece.
if you want catchy this is the wrong band. they've never made super catchy stuff

Uhhh I disagree here mate. I guess what he meant by  catchy is something which is gravitating and not something which accessible and easy to listen to.

Yes exactly.  Hidalgo, you've been around long enough and should know that Deftones make some incredibly catchy tunes (Change, BQAD, Minerva, Beware, Leathers, Goon Squad, Swerve City, Root, etc.).  Hell most of their catalog is very catchy and hummable.  Not finding that with this new record, that's all mate.

secretbandinsider

Hidalgo

Quote from: mandalay on Sep 26, 2020, 05:51 AM
Quote from: pannch on Sep 26, 2020, 05:33 AM

Yes exactly.  Hidalgo, you've been around long enough and should know that Deftones make some incredibly catchy tunes (Change, BQAD, Minerva, Beware, Leathers, Goon Squad, Swerve City, Root, etc.).  Hell most of their catalog is very catchy and hummable.  Not finding that with this new record, that's all mate.
well they're my fav band ever, so i obviously don't care if they're super catchy. super being the key word. they have some fairly catchy stuff. but it's more interesting and different(why i like them) than linkin park catchy. Chino is just very diffferent. i'm actually finding this record a bit more catchy than normal, but it's so new that i can't come close to any final word on it yet(only 5 listens so far)

Far away

From fav to least fav (I didnt dislike any songs, btw):

TSoM
Headless
Ceremony
Urantia
Error
Ohms
TLID
Pompeji
Genesis
Radiant city

laurapalmer

Somewhat surprised that I'm the only vote for Headless

Hidalgo

i voted for Ohms. the guitar riffs are just so good the whole way through. also the video is their best ever (imo), so that helps, the ending riffs part of the video is just so awesome(the whole video is, but that's my favorite part).

but like i said the other songs are too new to me now, so no clue how i'll feel in a month or 2. loving them all

E-Money

Ceremony is such a banger.

Surprised some aren't liking Urantia. That chorus is so unique to me... I almost wish he repeated it one more time.

And the end of Error might be my favorite 2 minutes of music they have ever created!

FatherUppercut

I'm actually shocked no one is putting it out there for This Link is Dead. There's some definite teenage angst my 40 yr old ass kinda laughs at, but it's nostalgic

@laurapalmer - Headless is my no. 2 pick. Ask me tomorrow and it might be 1 - it's 100% in contention. So far I've seen it make a few peoples top 3

FatherUppercut

also, i'll be that guy. The Spell of Mathematics ain't all that. Come get some!... lets watch how wild it gets

Far away

Quote from: FatherUppercut on Sep 26, 2020, 08:23 AM
also, i'll be that guy. The Spell of Mathematics ain't all that. Come get some!... lets watch how wild it gets

plagasx

So..... 2 or 4 years till the next album guys? 😅