Sharing Lungs - Deftones Online Community

"Ohms" - Deftones New Album

Started by Drop-Dead, Aug 20, 2020, 04:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Vesanic

It may have to do with the fact the beginning of that switch is almost an exact copy of a passage on Rubicon. But the transition or lack thereof rather, is so blunt.

Inkblades

My top 5 as of right now:

Genesis
The Spell of Mathematics
Pompeji
Radiant City
Headless

pulsipher

This album is the album that would have come out between Diamond Eyes and KNY

LG95

Quote from: Inkblades on Sep 26, 2020, 11:52 PM
Quote from: LG95 on Sep 26, 2020, 10:37 PM
Quote from: Inkblades on Sep 26, 2020, 09:54 PM
I kept making comparisons to Radiohead's albums on here and wondered if Ohms would be their Kid A. I'm not flatout blown away by Ohms as I was by Kid A all those years ago, but it might still be their most comparable album to it - not in sound, but due to the fact that it's one of their more challenging albums.
I think if there's a Kid A, it's White Pony. It's easy to make a connection with The Bends and Around The Fur, and subsequently Ok Computer and White Pony (in terms of their individual discographies, not that they sound anything alike) but if we're treating Kid A as the most transformative Radiohead album I'd say White Pony is the comparison, although Kid A is much more different to Ok Computer than White Pony is to Around The Fur.

Ohms has some new elements and a slightly different dynamic in terms of how Deftones albums usually work and are sequenced, but also brings past records and sounds together. In that sense, I'd maybe compare it to A Moon Shaped Pool?

Yeah, A Moon Shaped Pool might be a better comparison. Not my favorite Radiohead album, but it is pretty good.
I definitely prefer this to AMSP. I've always thought AMSP had an incredible opener, an incredible closer and was mainly very pleasant in between. It's a mid tier Radiohead album to me.
I could float here forever

secretbandinsider

I think I'm ready for the next album, is there a release date for that yet or?

B_S_79

First listen or two I would sigh and walk away thinking "wtf did I just listen to?"

A couple hours later I'm singing the choruses to some of these "wtf" songs. 

The drum beat in error totally reminds me of the beat in Mein.

Anyway, this album is a grower. I thought the weakest track was Radiant City, but that fucking chorus has been in my head all day - so every song has grown on me.

Visionz

Quote from: LG95 on Sep 26, 2020, 10:47 PM
Quote from: Visionz on Sep 26, 2020, 10:31 PM
Quote from: from_musings on Sep 26, 2020, 10:22 PM
The heavy screamy parts of Spell of Mathematics reminds me a lot of the voire dire record by will heaven.drony dramatic synths to a massive murky guitar and angst ridden screams, pretty tense. I like all the parts though,the song is very good as a whole.

I wiuld also say WillHaven is influenced by these guys in a way or too, would you?
That Sacramento 'scene' of Will Haven, Deftones and Far were all influencing each other.

I agree. Deftones and WH were pretty close in debuting also if i reacall it right

Hesperian Death-Horse!

Quote from: B_S_79 on Sep 27, 2020, 12:17 AM
First listen or two I would sigh and walk away thinking "wtf did I just listen to?"

A couple hours later I'm singing the choruses to some of these "wtf" songs. 

Anyway, this album is a grower. I thought the weakest track was Radiant City, but that fucking chorus has been in my head all day - so every song has grown on me.

That's wild. I was sold on Radiant City from the first note and I continuously get excited when I remember that it exists.

Weirdly I have trouble remembering any passages from Error when its been a few hours since I've listened to the album but can pretty well remember at least parts from every song.

Hesperian Death-Horse!

I recall people saying that the verse of Pompeji recalls the verse of Phantom Bride and I agree but I have to say that if there was ever an example of righting a horrible wrong it is the killer Pompeji being the "do over" so to speak on the awfulness that ended up being Phantom Bride.

Yeah, didn't like that one. And its not because of the guitar solo from Jerry (who I'm a big fan of) but the solo didn't really help either. That song simply did not move me.

from_musings

my favourite trio of deftones songs in a sequence is bloody cape-anniversary-moana.

a new wonderful (and fascinating) trio has presented itself - spell of mathematics-pompeji-this link is dead.
what a trip,i'm loving it.

honourable mentions:

knife-korea-passenger
dai-headup-mx
feit-digital-elite

rainnyx4

Quote from: Hesperian Death-Horse! on Sep 27, 2020, 12:42 AM
I recall people saying that the verse of Pompeji recalls the verse of Phantom Bride and I agree but I have to say that if there was ever an example of righting a horrible wrong it is the killer Pompeji being the "do over" so to speak on the awfulness that ended up being Phantom Bride.

Yeah, didn't like that one. And its not because of the guitar solo from Jerry (who I'm a big fan of) but the solo didn't really help either. That song simply did not move me.

Jesus, really don't get the love for Pompeji. Steph's guitar sounds tired and Chino's vocals during everything but the verses sound awful. Best part is undoubtedly the synth outro.

Not a big fan of Phantom Bride either. It's OK, just severely underwhelming. I think I'd have to say it's a better song overall compared to Pompeji though. Really wish they'd gone in a different direction for Pompeji, the verses and outro are so good, but god I can't stand the other parts of the song, just kills it.

from_musings

Quote from: pulsipher on Sep 26, 2020, 11:57 PM
This album is the album that would have come out between Diamond Eyes and KNY

What. De & Kny go together like nutella and a spoon.

Far away

Quote from: Inkblades on Sep 26, 2020, 11:52 PM
Quote from: LG95 on Sep 26, 2020, 10:37 PM
Quote from: Inkblades on Sep 26, 2020, 09:54 PM
I kept making comparisons to Radiohead's albums on here and wondered if Ohms would be their Kid A. I'm not flatout blown away by Ohms as I was by Kid A all those years ago, but it might still be their most comparable album to it - not in sound, but due to the fact that it's one of their more challenging albums.
I think if there's a Kid A, it's White Pony. It's easy to make a connection with The Bends and Around The Fur, and subsequently Ok Computer and White Pony (in terms of their individual discographies, not that they sound anything alike) but if we're treating Kid A as the most transformative Radiohead album I'd say White Pony is the comparison, although Kid A is much more different to Ok Computer than White Pony is to Around The Fur.

Ohms has some new elements and a slightly different dynamic in terms of how Deftones albums usually work and are sequenced, but also brings past records and sounds together. In that sense, I'd maybe compare it to A Moon Shaped Pool?

Yeah, A Moon Shaped Pool might be a better comparison. Not my favorite Radiohead album, but it is pretty good.

Quote from: Far away on Sep 26, 2020, 11:13 PM
Everyones entitled to their own opinions and thats the beauty of things (most of the time, at least), but the amount of different takes and perspectives about the same subject (the band, their discography, etc) never ceases to surprise me.

I wont be that guy judging other peoples list, order of prefferences and shit, but man... theres a LOT of different takes in here.

That's really the beauty of the band. We all have different takes on what Ohms songs are the best, what albums are the best, etc. - goes without saying that it speaks to their greatness.

Indeed

E-Money

Ceremony is a certified JAM ..

Urantia is so good I almost crashed the car singing the chorus ...

Error has me floating in the clouds .

Spell is like auditory sex.

We got a great record. I'm completely in love with the first half. Second half hasn't quite grabbed me like the first half but I know it will soon.

Favorite part on the record so far is in ceremony where it goes totally quiet . "The world we shared, was never there" then Steph drops that driving riff. Chills every time . 👌

Ready for the next record already haha. 

Jesus2Chino

Not a final review (not that anyone cares about me writing one, haha), but my initial impressions are that this album sits well atop all of their work with Sergio; without me knowing it, I think this is the album I wanted after SNW.

None of the songs are super sticky yet for me, but this album, as a holistic listening experience, is the best they've put out since SNW in my opinion. It's a very groovy album that, to my ears, nods to a lot of music I didn't know I felt nostalgic for, somehow bringing to mind The Smashing Pumpkins, Mike Patton projects, Dillinger Escape Plan, and even Korn (don't crucify me) at times while never feeling derivative or cheesy. I doubt these bands were in the regular listening rotation for the guys during this writing cycle, but there are small moments sprinkled throughout that brought these bands to my mind in a very subtle and pleasant way. The flow and track sequence of the album is phenomenal, and the album overall really begs the listener to listen to it in its entirety. I'll give it time before I form any final opinions, but I think it's a very good release from them at this point.

My biggest criticisms on the first few listens surround production. While the overall production quality is miles beyond their sans-Terry releases, I think it's the worst mixing Terry has done with them. Abe's snare needs to be bumped up a couple dB almost throughout the entire album, and Chino's vocals could often find a more comfortable spot in the mix as well in my opinion; Abe's snare sound is so juicy too, it's a shame it doesn't cut through the mix enough on a lot of tracks. While there are times where I think Sergio's bass is too forward in the mix, I do appreciate how his style is finally complemented by the overall writing on this album--it really brings a post-hardcore element to a lot of tracks that are definitely better for it.

I think I really like this album, but only time will tell how well it sticks. It'll definitely be in my regular listening rotation though, and I'm excited to spend more time with it.
Much respect,
-Matt

RaptureWS

Quote from: B_S_79 on Sep 27, 2020, 12:17 AM

it's not just the drum beat for me. I feel like the entire song is kind of a reimagined Mein, and this time it works fantastically. I just feel like it has the style and vibethey were going for on Mein but really missed the mark. there's probably a few fans of that song, but it seems to be pretty popular opinion that is one of the weakest tracks. Error rectifies that mistake in my mind :)
When people whisper it makes her nervous.

plagasx

I really fucking wish Ceremony was longer...Jesus christ.. It's PAINFUL how good the chorus is and then it just...ends..

976-EVIL

Kinda funny how Deftones always seems to leave me wanting more. This is a great fucking Record...
One last Thing...You Should Beware the Content!!

Thank God that you........ love..... at all.

E-Money

Quote from: plagasx on Sep 27, 2020, 05:48 AM
I really fucking wish Ceremony was longer...Jesus christ.. It's PAINFUL how good the chorus is and then it just...ends..

Totally agree. I feel that  way on a few songs here. I want the bridge to be longer on genesis and ceremony needs one more chorus ... Error needs to go a little higher at the end and Ohms needs more at the end...

When are they going to invite us to the studio so we can help them finish the songs correctly ... lol .. that was a joke. 🤦🏻‍♂️😜

pannch

Headless. Man, what a ride that is. The super doomy riff in the chorus, the spooky synths, and the vocal line. Haha makes my eyes water and throat choke, its that good.

Warming up to other tracks like error, TLID and Radiant City.

One thing I noticed abt Genesis, is that its the most modern - Deftones sounding track of the album. If they decided to go heavy after DE, Genesis is what would have been the next logical evolution from it. That's why I feel Genesis sounds disconnected from the album. Or maybe Genesis seeded in me some sort of expectation as to how Ohms would sound as a whole.