Sharing Lungs - Deftones Online Community

"Ohms" - Deftones New Album

Started by Drop-Dead, Aug 20, 2020, 01:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

2MoreHours

Quote from: Far away on Sep 27, 2020, 05:22 PM
Are (some) people complaining about the lack of complexity in a Deftones song? Really?
Stef is not Steve Vai or Kirk Hammet. They have plenty of amazing songs that have like 3 chords, yet, they are very dinamic and have their fingerprint all over it. Why start complaining now? Its not like hes going to, suddenly, start playing complex shit.

Yes, they have a good amount of songs using the same notes/chords/harmonics rearranged in a different order or whatever. Still, most of their songs do not sound the same, at all. Maybe a couple.

A bunch of 'Im a weekend musician so they should do this, or that, to make the song better', really pisses me off.

Get over it.

Sounds like the opinions of others is hurting your feelings.  They are just opinions.  You're entitled to feel differently.  You're not in the band.  Don't let it bother you so much.

Roidragee

Anyone know if the BBC radio deftones show will be re-uploaded on YouTube? Can't listen to it right now

2MoreHours

I think some of us have been wanting more from Stef for years because he flashed more potential in their earlier days.  I was listening to DE and KNY earlier today (as well as Ohms) and it finally hit me that he is what he is.  There aren't going to be anymore Around the Fur (album) type songs.  He likes to ride that low bass string now and has for the last 4 albums.  Nothing wrong with what he does but it's time for some of us to just lower our expectations when it comes to his writing.

Far away

Quote from: 2MoreHours on Sep 27, 2020, 10:34 PM
Quote from: Far away on Sep 27, 2020, 05:22 PM
Are (some) people complaining about the lack of complexity in a Deftones song? Really?
Stef is not Steve Vai or Kirk Hammet. They have plenty of amazing songs that have like 3 chords, yet, they are very dinamic and have their fingerprint all over it. Why start complaining now? Its not like hes going to, suddenly, start playing complex shit.

Yes, they have a good amount of songs using the same notes/chords/harmonics rearranged in a different order or whatever. Still, most of their songs do not sound the same, at all. Maybe a couple.

A bunch of 'Im a weekend musician so they should do this, or that, to make the song better', really pisses me off.

Get over it.

Sounds like the opinions of others is hurting your feelings.  They are just opinions.  You're entitled to feel differently.  You're not in the band.  Don't let it bother you so much.

Hurt my feelings? Nah... I just find interesting how everyones an expert on the internet. 

Sleeping_Giant

Urantia at 2.17-2.22 - do I have a technical problem with my speakers or this weird sound is really there? What is it? Sounds like Chino is devouring his cereals

Jesus2Chino

I mean some people listen with their hearts, others with their heads, and others still somewhere in between; I think articulating what could have made the album stronger for you personally doesn't constitute bench musicianship. For example, I like the album a lot, more with every listen, but know I could have liked it even more with some small production tweaks. Does that mean I'm even 1% as talented of a producer as Terry Date? Heck no, haha--but that doesn't mean everything he touches is perfect and infallible, especially when subjectivity enters the arena. I think most people offering up criticism know they couldn't have personally done better, but that doesn't mean they can't hear something in their mind's ear that they wish would have been pressed onto record.

Anywho, just wanted to offer my two cents 'cause I think there's a difference between claiming to be an expert and offering criticism. I know where you're coming from though, and certainly there are people in this world who seem to want to dislike everything; I haven't been seeing much of that here, however, and people generally seem to either really like the album (plus or minus some small issues with it), or at least they seem like they really WANT to like the album, haha. Happy listening y'all!
Much respect,
-Matt

illthrowROCKS@U

I'm trying really hard not to sound like a pathetic fanboy, but this album is more than I could have ever expected from the boys this late in their career. It may very well crack my top 3 by the time all is said and done, something I never thought possible.

I don't think the songs sound "simplistic" at all, in fact, I think this may just be their most experimental album to date, with a vast and disparate array of influences. Though none of the riffs are particularly complicated or difficult to play (they never have been), the sounds themselves and the composition and placement of those sounds are certainly far from mainstream or generic. And even more so once you combine that with the more prevalent keys and samples coming from Frank. I actually think this is quite the challenging record, from a listening standpoint, which is why I think you're seeing even the pretentious music community jump on board with this one.
9/26/10 - Patriot Center
5/22/11 - Sunset Cove Amphitheater
8/7/12 - Verizon Center
10/26/12 - Ram's Head Live
3/8/13 - House of Blues
10/8/13 - Baltimore Arena
7/31/15 - The Fillmore
8/8/15 - Susquehanna Bank Center
8/3/16 - Pier Six Pavillion
6/14/17 - MGM National Harbor
5/17/22 - The Anthem

Visionz

Did i say this record is ridiculously good? I got to thinking again about how most music especially this music for me, needs time to breath with every one of their records. I love em even more as time goes by. That being said proves to me at least, why its hard to compare to past ones and rate it anywhere in the discography. Bc ill most likely like it more than today.  It potentially could be my favorite at some point. Honest to god. Its top 3 for me already. I love em all equally though if that makes sense. But fuuuuuk this is a good record and i dont seem to tire from it like i did the last 3 quickly. I still listen to em casually but they were never this. Love OHMS

Jesus2Chino

Yeah, personally I think the writing is very solid on this album all around. What some people are referring to as lazy guitar, I hear as groovy. This album has a serious groove, especially from tracks 5-10, and what I love most about this album is how it feels like a complete piece of work rather than a collection of random tracks. The more I listen, the more individuality I get from each track as well, so I think they hit a great balance between having individual songs stand out just enough without feeling out of place.

I will say though that I imagine Stef's incredibly thick guitar tone, coupled with his low tunings, might be making it difficult for producers to find space for everyone else as far as goes mixing and mastering. From a style/writing standpoint I'm behind Stef on this album, but I think the band as a whole might benefit from him experimenting in C and B again with a 7 string. I don't want him to sacrifice tone to clear up sonic space on future records, 'cause to me his tone is very massive and very refined (i.e. I absolutely love it and imagine it was hard earned, haha), and I'm honestly along for the ride with whatever he wants to write, so tuning up and cutting a couple strings is just a quick and dirty solution that comes to mind. Obviously I'm not saying he needs to do this, and I'm not saying this is the only way forward, but I can see how it might be helpful for the band and producers when it comes to the ease of cutting more really dynamic records in the future.

But yes, to be clear, I think Stef did a great job on this record, along with everyone else, and I think the boys should be really proud of what they put out here!
Much respect,
-Matt

only pieces remain

This record is incredible and exceeded my expectations. Ceremony is probably my favorite song they've done since white pony. At least s/t. The chorus/bridge drop back into the chorus gives me chills every time.

"So I'm leaving you tonight
It's not fun here anymore
I'll be joining the parade
Of the ghosts who came before"

And the track is short enough where it leaves you begging for more. Hell, the whole album is like that. Quickest 46 minutes every time. Wish they would've finished that 11th track.

Ceremony, Spell, and Pompeji are my top three but to me there's not a mediocre track on it.

secretbandinsider

I never thought this album would have a more infectious line than 'time won't change this' but 'it's all an illusion' is getting up there.

DenakDW

did anybody here got their budle + hoodie? would you mind sharing a few pics ?
And all the days I've missed you 🍂

OnyxPanicProne

Quote from: DenakDW on Sep 28, 2020, 02:28 AM
I haven't even gotten an email or anything saying my bundle shipped. Has anyone gotten any emails?

Draken

Quote from: secretbandinsider on Sep 26, 2020, 03:45 PM
I'm never getting over TSOM. Feels like my soul is leaving my body.

;D lol  yeah it's that good to me too.

Far away

Quote from: Jesus2Chino on Sep 27, 2020, 11:26 PM
I mean some people listen with their hearts, others with their heads, and others still somewhere in between; I think articulating what could have made the album stronger for you personally doesn't constitute bench musicianship. For example, I like the album a lot, more with every listen, but know I could have liked it even more with some small production tweaks. Does that mean I'm even 1% as talented of a producer as Terry Date? Heck no, haha--but that doesn't mean everything he touches is perfect and infallible, especially when subjectivity enters the arena. I think most people offering up criticism know they couldn't have personally done better, but that doesn't mean they can't hear something in their mind's ear that they wish would have been pressed onto record.

Anywho, just wanted to offer my two cents 'cause I think there's a difference between claiming to be an expert and offering criticism. I know where you're coming from though, and certainly there are people in this world who seem to want to dislike everything; I haven't been seeing much of that here, however, and people generally seem to either really like the album (plus or minus some small issues with it), or at least they seem like they really WANT to like the album, haha. Happy listening y'all!

The way you just did it, calm, collected, explaining your points, thats a better way to do it than just lash out a band member just because. I guess, in the end, I did the same thing with the people that I tought were overly complaining. My comments were a little harsh, for sure, and thats bad.

only pieces remain

Quote from: OnyxPanicProne on Sep 28, 2020, 03:17 AM
I haven't even gotten an email or anything saying my bundle shipped. Has anyone gotten any emails?

Got an email on friday with a tracking number but there's no info on it yet.

WPHexa82

Its been a long time...but its great to be back here with such an amazing work by our fellow deftones.

I love all tracks but Urantia and TLID (part II of WGTB) are my favorites now.   On the other hand, Pompeji and Ceremony seemed to me as the weakest, but still good.

Draken

Every Deftones record has that one song, that ONE song that reaches me on a deep level and that song for me on this record is TSOM. It has everything: guitar, mood, lyrics/vocal melodies, etc.. For me, it shits on everything post S/T. The first four will always be the best to me, not to say I don't think the rest are any good, it's just nothing they've done since can really touch them cause they're masterpieces. Now past that I'd say DE is easily my favorite. That being said, I love TSOM more than any song on DE, but idk if I like the album Ohms as a whole better than DE... I can listen to DE from start to finish but I find myself already skipping Error and TLID. Of course, I may need to let the album sink in some more.

And now the moment you all were waiting for...
:D
1. TSOM
2. Genesis
3. Urantia
4. Ohms
5. Ceremony
6. Pompeji
7. Headless
8. Radiant City
9. Error
10. TLID

OnyxPanicProne

Quote from: only pieces remain on Sep 28, 2020, 03:38 AM
Quote from: OnyxPanicProne on Sep 28, 2020, 03:17 AM

Got an email on friday with a tracking number but there's no info on it yet.
Wellll shit. Hope I get an email soon, I wanna rep ohms with the t-shirt  8)
And get that sweet sweet album rip

Draken

Quote from: Vesanic on Sep 26, 2020, 01:28 AM
Truthfully though I can't connect to Urantia at all.

dude, brah... c'mon. Urantia is smoove...