Sharing Lungs - Deftones Online Community

"Ohms" - Deftones New Album

Started by Drop-Dead, Aug 20, 2020, 04:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

lungdamage

Quote from: Vesanic on Sep 28, 2020, 11:28 PM
I did a song-by-song posting series on the DeftonesLive FB to help promote the album.

For what it's worth, the songs that won the like battle (by a landslide) were "Ceremony", "The Spell of Mathematics" and "This Link is Dead", with 2k+ each. Only "Error" contended a bit, with over 1k+. "The Spell of Mathematics" has got the most likes out of them all.

I'm not counting the likes that "Genesis" and "Ohms" got through the many posts I made of those before that series.
[/quote
Quote from: Visionz on Sep 29, 2020, 12:50 AM
God the second half especially of error is just heavenly. I dig it more and more every time I hear it really the whole album in that case. And then how it blends in to spell.damn that is the Deftones I love and can't wait to share with my children

Yeah those two together are wild.
Also the end of Pomeji (twin peaks lel) into TLID and Radiant.  I can see them starting a show with a sample of the end of Pompeji and busting those two tracks right out of the gate on a setlist one day in the future :)

lungdamage

Quote from: Moana91 on Sep 29, 2020, 10:39 AM
The intro of Headless is in my heart a beautiful tribute to this song:

https://youtu.be/eaf08gtiitU

100 percent. Good catch.

SomeOf

Quote from: laurapalmer on Sep 29, 2020, 09:50 AM
I'm enjoying Ohms immensely, however I can't see how it could be anyone's #1 when it's been out for 4 days. But more power to ya if it is.

I totally understand your point.

Let me explain: simply because it's everything I was waiting from them since a long time. Something that takes me away from beginning to end without anything to skip, ambient, catchy, sensual and heavy without anything "forced".
They almost had already achieved this with DE and ST (IMO), but it's even better here. Everything feels so compact and coherent.

AlexClavel_

Hello, anyone there who ordered the cassette bundle has arrived him? Me i have it but, it has come without seal and i do not received the Ohms art card.

plagasx

Headless is a masterpiece and I think it's one of the greatest songs they have ever made. Serg really KILLS it on that song. Wow....

Only songs I'm having trouble getting in to is TLID and Error...

SMLiberator

Quote from: Draken on Sep 29, 2020, 05:06 AM
as much as I like Ceremony it just does not flow well from Genesis, the momentum of that song is broken so abruptly and it feels out of sequence. I would have had Urantia come afterwards.

To be honest, White Pony starts with Feiticeira, then Digital Bath straight into Elite. It doesn't just break the momentum, it slaughters it and throws it around, but somehow it works (or does it? I remember always being caught off guard until I got used to it), so maybe that's what they were thinking of when choosing sequencing for this one.
i'm confused??

secretbandinsider

It's kind of interesting how the 2 most popular songs are the most polarizing it seems

lungdamage

Quote from: plagasx on Sep 29, 2020, 11:05 AM
Headless is a masterpiece and I think it's one of the greatest songs they have ever made. Serg really KILLS it on that song. Wow....

Only songs I'm having trouble getting in to is TLID and Error...

damn - those ones were easy for me to get into.. how do you feel about radiant then?

lungdamage

The chorus in error is so catchy IMO.

I feel this one is like their 'Bruce Lee' record ...it just 'flows like water'. (sic)

LG95

We need to talk about the fact that Ceremony basically has two completely different choruses. Both brilliant.
I could float here forever

from_musings

after about 10 listens,these are my current grades (NOTE:by deftones standards)

5/5 geneis
4.5 spell of mathematics
4/5 this link is dead,pompeji,headless
3/5 ceremony,urantia,error,ohms
2/5 radiant city

possibly the best album since fantastic four (adrenaline,ATF,WP,S/T).

The 3/5's are like eating fudge but with the paper still wrapped around it, you kinda taste its savory thrill, but you want more of it

lungdamage

Quote from: from_musings on Sep 29, 2020, 12:45 PM

5/5 geneis
4.5 spell of mathematics
2/5 radiant city

The 3/5's are like eating fudge but with the paper still wrapped around it, you kinda taste its savory thrill, but you want more of it

Interesting about radiant.

I think I might change my favourite songs to 'Honey' and 'Ledges'

nineteen

Still struggling a bit with Radiant City but I'm sure I'll come round to it.... I equally love and hate the main riff at the same time.

Kimdracula976

Quote from: Moana91 on Sep 29, 2020, 10:39 AM
The intro of Headless is in my heart a beautiful tribute to this song:

https://youtu.be/eaf08gtiitU

That track is beautiful. Any similar recommendations?

LG95

^
I'd recommend that whole album and basically most of Cocteau Twins discography, as well as Harold Budd's.

illthrowROCKS@U

Quote from: from_musings on Sep 29, 2020, 12:45 PM

5/5 geneis
4.5 spell of mathematics
2/5 radiant city

My choices would be almost completely reversed from yours. I consider Radiant City, Ceremony, and Headless as the best songs with Genesis being the pretty clear worst for me.

The exception to this rule of reversal is TSOM, which everyone seems to like (for good reason).
9/26/10 - Patriot Center
5/22/11 - Sunset Cove Amphitheater
8/7/12 - Verizon Center
10/26/12 - Ram's Head Live
3/8/13 - House of Blues
10/8/13 - Baltimore Arena
7/31/15 - The Fillmore
8/8/15 - Susquehanna Bank Center
8/3/16 - Pier Six Pavillion
6/14/17 - MGM National Harbor
5/17/22 - The Anthem

LG95

Genesis is really good and I think it's the worst on here by a distance.

Houmie

Funny how on first listen through, ceremony did nothing for me. After a few days, it's been quickly climbing up my list. Favorite is still headless - the middle to end of that track is just... *chef's kiss* - but ceremony isn't far behind. It's just another reminder that deftones songs are like fine wine.

OnyxPanicProne

Quote from: Shells on Sep 28, 2020, 04:26 PM
BBC Radio 1 Rock Show Deftones Special from last night listen again for anyone who needs it :)

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sounds/play/m000mxzr
Thanks for this link! That was a really good listen, it was interesting to hear Chino talk about how living where he was made him less creative for the past 6 years. Makes me wonder if that's why Crosses or Palms hasn't been touched since then. And hearing them talk about Pink Floyd was awesome, they are one my favorite bands too.
Imagine if Deftones did do a concept album tho. Or just any side project with Chino. The way Chino likes to make stories in his songs it would make sense to me.

Kimdracula976

Quote from: LG95 on Sep 29, 2020, 05:02 PM
^
I'd recommend that whole album and basically most of Cocteau Twins discography, as well as Harold Budd's.

Thanks. Will check it out.