Sharing Lungs - Deftones Online Community

"Ohms" - Deftones New Album

Started by Drop-Dead, Aug 20, 2020, 01:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Draken

Quote from: SMLiberator on Sep 29, 2020, 08:26 AM
Quote from: Draken on Sep 29, 2020, 02:06 AM
as much as I like Ceremony it just does not flow well from Genesis, the momentum of that song is broken so abruptly and it feels out of sequence. I would have had Urantia come afterwards.

To be honest, White Pony starts with Feiticeira, then Digital Bath straight into Elite. It doesn't just break the momentum, it slaughters it and throws it around, but somehow it works (or does it? I remember always being caught off guard until I got used to it), so maybe that's what they were thinking of when choosing sequencing for this one.

I suppose you do have a point, but when I went back to listen to the sequence it seems to flow really well. This is most likely because there is a good 15 sec of fade out on Feiticeira into DB and then a good 20 sec of fade out until Elite begins. Genesis just abruptly ends and then Ceremony begins right away with slower tempo guitar plucking intro, it just sounds odd to me and doesn't flow... but that's my ears, maybe not anyone else's. I still love the album and the transitions. Frank did a phenomenal job. Listen to Ohms in a playlist and switch around Urantia and Ceremony, and you'll see how much better the momentum carries.  ;)

imbrie

This album is bat shit crazy good. I can't get enough of it. There's lots of things that bring to mind other bands from The Cure to Duran fucking Duran and Headless is currently my favourite.

Draken

Quote from: Kimdracula976 on Sep 29, 2020, 01:59 PM
Quote from: Moana91 on Sep 29, 2020, 07:39 AM
The intro of Headless is in my heart a beautiful tribute to this song:

https://youtu.be/eaf08gtiitU

That track is beautiful. Any similar recommendations?

As LG said, their whole discography pretty much. But since that's a lot to go through I'll tell you some of my top CT:

Garlands (the entire album)
Pink Orange Red (the song is like an out of body experience)
Ribbed and Veined
Athol-Brose
Pepper Tree
Sugar Hiccup
Pearly Dew Drop Drops
Cherry Coloured Funk

and many more obviously but that's a good starting point.

Inkblades

Quote from: Moana91 on Sep 29, 2020, 07:39 AM
The intro of Headless is in my heart a beautiful tribute to this song:

https://youtu.be/eaf08gtiitU

Harold Budd has another song called Radiant City.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EObjZc2cDP4

Gaz

Had an email about the signed art cards to say my pre-orders will ship over the next couple of days

imbrie

Quote from: Gaz on Sep 29, 2020, 03:54 PM
Had an email about the signed art cards to say my pre-orders will ship over the next couple of days

Just got that too together with an another saying that the vinyl/zine has been delayed.

Gaz

Quote from: imbrie on Sep 29, 2020, 03:56 PM
Quote from: Gaz on Sep 29, 2020, 03:54 PM

Just got that too together with an another saying that the vinyl/zine has been delayed.

lol, just got a second email to saying the same!

Draken

Oh yea, I got an email yesterday that my order shipped. Should get it by Thursday...

imbrie

It's not the end of the world but obviously would have been nice if this hadn't been the case.

Still, we have the music and all is well.

Hidalgo

just listened to it again, i think the 7th time. my actual cd finally came today, so it sounded better than the ripped cd i was listening to. no complaints about the album, it's pretty awesome(can't rank it yet, way too early). but i was listening for the drums more because of what Ves said, and he's right, they don't pop as much as the first few albums. but that's been a problem for over 10 years now, so maybe that's something hard to get right. otherwise mixed as well as anything since s/t. but i do wish Abe stood out more in the mix, cause he's a way over avg drummer

B0RNtoR0CK

I know many of you love Terry Date but I do not think this is his best work. Listen to Self-titled vs Ohms on some high-quality headphones and you'll see what I mean.  What's with all the effects on chino? Room reverb + saturation, not really diggin it, and its not really subtle. I really wish Chino would go back to recording on the Shure SM58. You can hear that different parts were recorded on different mics (probably different studios) all within the same song. Kind of annoying.

Visionz

Quote from: Hidalgo on Sep 29, 2020, 10:07 PM
just listened to it again, i think the 7th time. my actual cd finally came today, so it sounded better than the ripped cd i was listening to. no complaints about the album, it's pretty awesome(can't rank it yet, way too early). but i was listening for the drums more because of what Ves said, and he's right, they don't pop as much as the first few albums. but that's been a problem for over 10 years now, so maybe that's something hard to get right. otherwise mixed as well as anything since s/t. but i do wish Abe stood out more in the mix, cause he's a way over avg drummer

Lots of ppl complained about the drums. But i think some songs are better than others as far as the sound of Abe's drums

2MoreHours

I was kind of critical of Stef on some earlier posts but the reality is, I'm really enjoying this album.  I'll tell myself I'm not going to listen to it for a couple of days but then a certain part will pop in my head and I'll find myself listening to the whole album again.  The guys (Stef included) did a fine job on this album.

Visionz

Quote from: B0RNtoR0CK on Sep 29, 2020, 11:33 PM
I know many of you love Terry Date but I do not think this is his best work. Listen to Self-titled vs Ohms on some high-quality headphones and you'll see what I mean.  What's with all the effects on chino? Room reverb + saturation, not really diggin it, and its not really subtle. I really wish Chino would go back to recording on the Shure SM58. You can hear that different parts were recorded on different mics (probably different studios) all within the same song. Kind of annoying.

Just wnjoy the music then and try not to overanalyze it. Maybe it wont be so "annoying". Or listen to ST and wish they would do it again. Dunno how to fix it. Glad i like it though

Visionz

Quote from: 2MoreHours on Sep 29, 2020, 11:50 PM
I was kind of critical of Stef on some earlier posts but the reality is, I'm really enjoying this album.  I'll tell myself I'm not going to listen to it for a couple of days but then a certain part will pop in my head and I'll find myself listening to the whole album again.  The guys (Stef included) did a fine job on this album.

They really did. Good to see youre not letting yourself over analyze everything and just enjoying what IS.

plagasx

Quote from: B0RNtoR0CK on Sep 29, 2020, 11:33 PM

While I love the album, I agree with you. I absolutely hate when they add that damn far away hallway like sound to Chino's voice.. Reminds me of he sounded on Palms and Gore...which I didn't like.. Songs like Urantia, Pompeji and Spell really let his voice shine though without those annoying effects. I'm starting to think it's his decision to do that or something.

sharinglungs

I know we all love the fast bass section on radiant city....

But who's with me about that fast bass run at the end of ceremony? Anyone?

kurtone

Quote from: Draken on Sep 29, 2020, 04:09 PM
Oh yea, I got an email yesterday that my order shipped. Should get it by Thursday...

I got an email as well but it's still showing as processed and waiting on UPS. So I don't think I'll be getting it Thursday.

Draken

Quote from: kurtone on Sep 30, 2020, 02:00 AM
Quote from: Draken on Sep 29, 2020, 04:09 PM

I got an email as well but it's still showing as processed and waiting on UPS. So I don't think I'll be getting it Thursday.

Oh... yep, you're right. That's what mine says too "Estimated Delivery" is for Thursday.  ::)

976-EVIL

I would like to make a Formal Request of the Mods!

This Poll is way early, but I've bought the Ticket and I will take the Ride. Let's clear the results, save them, and do it again a Week later? And while you're at it "3" Votes a piece would be great! Just sayin...XD

Bet the results will be different.
One last Thing...You Should Beware the Content!!

Thank God that you........ love..... at all.