Previous topic - Next topic

E-Money

Far away

Quote from: Draken on Oct 25, 2020, 05:42 PM
Quote from: Far away on Oct 25, 2020, 01:51 PM
Quote from: punkflop01 on Oct 25, 2020, 06:42 AM
Quote from: 976-EVIL on Oct 25, 2020, 05:38 AM
Good find dude.
Hate to be a bitch but it kinda bothers me this thread is so Quiet!  Our Band has given a gift and best part is "One size fits All"
Brutal Emotive Riffs and Vocals.
Bangers and Ballads combined over just 46 Fucking  Minutes of life? Guess I'm just excited still!

I'm definitely still jamming on the album!  I try not to overplay it because this way I keep getting excited every time I put it on after a short break in between.

Exactly the same here. I played way too much first 2 weeks.

I've tried not to get burntout from the album but the songs have been in my head since day 1,  I can't help but sneak in at least one song per day!  ;D

Me too. To be completely honest, I still do this with songs from Adrenaline, even (hello One weak). Some songs I just got to listen to a few times during the week. From all their discography, pretty much. And since Ohms is their most recent work, it couldnt be any different.

LG95

Maryanne Hobbs is basically playing something from this album every week on 6music.
I could float here forever

nineteen

Still love the album. I'm finding it more original as I become familiar with it. Also starting to focus on stuff I never heard before in certain tracks.

Pompeji is my current favourite to be honest.

IN WAVES

It's one month later, and I still love the album. Ceremony is still my top track, but the rest of the album isn't far behind.

Ceremony, Urantia, and Error is the best stretch on the album.

IN WAVES

Quote from: Draken on Oct 17, 2020, 08:29 PM
100% true

Deftones give 0 fucks what any of us want to hear, that's why they're still relevant and enjoy what they do.

Exactly. That's what makes them great.

IN WAVES

I'm starting to warm up to the "Jesus Christ" lyrics from Pompeji. I'm liking the song more now than I did before.

Unless it's a band like Marilyn Manson or a band of that nature, I'm not a big fan of those types of lyrics. I'm not the most religious guy in the world, but knocking religion isn't really my thing. I'd really like some context as to what the song is actually about. On that radio interview they did a few weeks back, that's one of the songs that didn't get an explanation.

Inkblades

YOU'RE ON YOUR OWNNNNNNNN.

976-EVIL

Quote from: Inkblades on Oct 28, 2020, 05:01 AM

TLID is way underrated, pure unadulterated brutal Deftones.
One last Thing...You Should Beware the Content!!

Thank God that you........ love..... at all.

punkflop01

Quote from: 976-EVIL on Oct 28, 2020, 05:45 AM

Yes ! That last minute is just so damn powerful. Gives me goosebumps every time the way they build that up.

976-EVIL

Quote from: punkflop01 on Oct 28, 2020, 05:47 AM
Quote from: 976-EVIL on Oct 28, 2020, 05:45 AM

Yes ! That last minute is just so damn powerful. Gives me goosebumps every time the way they build that up.

The rage to punch someone in the Face!
Captured so elegantly... passion to the max by the entire Band.
One last Thing...You Should Beware the Content!!

Thank God that you........ love..... at all.

Shadow46/2

Urantia is the best song. Should be the next single if they do another. It deserves a real video. And man WHAT AN EARWORM OF A CHORUS. 

Speak of the devil, and he shall appear.

xtalaphextwin

I like that beautiful riff Stephan pulls out in the second half of the song ''Error'' just stunning how the music rises so atmospheric, one of their best riffs, and I've been a fan for over a decade, never heard them sound quite like that before. Check it out it starts at like 2:49 into that song ''error'', its just awesome keep returning to it. and great decision to make chinos vocals more sort of reverbed in that part the combination is just so effective. great job from Terry Date.

idk why but that part makes me feel a type of way, it sounds so emotive yet warm too, sad but hopeful. unexplainable.

rainnyx4

Quote from: xtalaphextwin on Oct 28, 2020, 07:22 PM
I like that beautiful riff Stephan pulls out in the second half of the song ''Error'' just stunning how the music rises so atmospheric, one of their best riffs, and I've been a fan for over a decade, never heard them sound quite like that before. Check it out it starts at like 2:49 into that song ''error'', its just awesome keep returning to it. and great decision to make chinos vocals more sort of reverbed in that part the combination is just so effective. great job from Terry Date.

idk why but that part makes me feel a type of way, it sounds so emotive yet warm too, sad but hopeful. unexplainable.

That's definitely may favorite part of the album and wish they had done more dreamy leads like that. It's very KNY (the latter half of the song feels a lot like Entombed, my favorite track off there), which is my favorite album since WP. Only problem is that I actually feel like it could have been even bigger. The second time they do it, they should've played a little with the line on the second run through, adding in some flourishes or even turning it into something approaching a solo to really mix it up. Could've been epic. But that's my problem with this album. Feels a lot like Tool's Fear Inoculum album, where it's a distillation of their sound, everything feels pretty safe and by the numbers. I kept waiting for a lot of these songs (and FI) to just take off at some point and blow me out of the water, but it never happens.

Sal_Ameigh

Quote from: Shadow46/2 on Oct 28, 2020, 07:21 PM
Urantia is the best song. Should be the next single if they do another. It deserves a real video. And man WHAT AN EARWORM OF A CHORUS.

The start of Urantia and Bay Area Metal parts are begging for double bass from Abe though. Chino said in a recent interview when have they ever done that, but all the more reason to do that and expand their sound. Double bass could have been added in just the heavy guitar parts and made the song that much more heavier and brutal. I mean there was a point they never did a solo then they had Jerry Cantrell play a solo. There was a point they never had guest vocalists then you had White Pony. There was a point Frank was never in the band. Then they added Frank and expanded their sound.

Quote from: rainnyx4 on Oct 28, 2020, 08:02 PM
But that's my problem with this album.  where it's a distillation of their sound, everything feels pretty safe and by the numbers. I kept waiting for a lot of these songs (and FI) to just take off at some point and blow me out of the water, but it never happens.

Agree 100%. Wish Abe expanded his drum kit. Not change his playing style. Just a bigger palette of sounds to hear. Abe is one of the best drummers in Rock/Metal over the last 40+ years. He's like John Bonham. You know it's Abe when you hear him. I love the band, but I'd really love to hear them keep growing sonically too. Like if Chino played a tenor guitar or soprano guitar or Sergio played a 6 string piccolo bass. Just something new and different to expand their sound. Frank on a ROLI Seaboard. Seems like the only one continually evolving musically is Stephen trying new extended range guitars.

Or what of they took cue from their past in other ways like having a song with a guest vocalist and also having someone play a solo on the same song?

Draken

Quote from: Shadow46/2 on Oct 28, 2020, 07:21 PM

As much as I want TSOM to be the next single I know it's likely to be Urantia, if there is another one. I love that song, honestly thought it was going to be the first single when I heard the snippet that Abe teased us with.

xtalaphextwin

Quote from: rainnyx4 on Oct 28, 2020, 08:02 PM
Quote from: xtalaphextwin on Oct 28, 2020, 07:22 PM

That's definitely may favorite part of the album and wish they had done more dreamy leads like that. It's very KNY (the latter half of the song feels a lot like Entombed, my favorite track off there), which is my favorite album since WP. Only problem is that I actually feel like it could have been even bigger. The second time they do it, they should've played a little with the line on the second run through, adding in some flourishes or even turning it into something approaching a solo to really mix it up. Could've been epic. But that's my problem with this album. Feels a lot like Tool's Fear Inoculum album, where it's a distillation of their sound, everything feels pretty safe and by the numbers. I kept waiting for a lot of these songs (and FI) to just take off at some point and blow me out of the water, but it never happens.

That's pretty interesting, I felt Deftones really expanded on this album, I really was entertained by it mostly. I felt that the Tool album lacked dynamics in sound, if you go back and listen to Tool's last album before the new one (10,000 Days) the dynamics on that one are crazy, listen to a song like Right In Two, or The pot, so many different sounds and shifts in dynamics in just one song, FI felt like one long boring song to me. Was super disappointed by the Tool album.

from_musings

Quote from: Sal_Ameigh on Oct 29, 2020, 12:41 AM
There was a point they never had guest vocalists then you had White Pony. There was a point Frank was never in the band. Then they added Frank and expanded their sound.

frank did stuff on adrenaline and atf "to expand their sound". also: they had guest vocalists before white pony (max cavalera and annalyn cunningham)

Draken

Quote from: from_musings on Oct 29, 2020, 01:05 AM
Quote from: Sal_Ameigh on Oct 29, 2020, 12:41 AM
There was a point they never had guest vocalists then you had White Pony. There was a point Frank was never in the band. Then they added Frank and expanded their sound.

frank did stuff on adrenaline and atf "to expand their sound". also: they had a guest vocalist before white pony (mx/atf)

I wouldn't call what Abe's wife did as a "guest vocalist", but yeah ATF had Max Cavalera on Headup.