Sharing Lungs - Deftones Online Community

"Ohms" - Deftones New Album

Started by Drop-Dead, Aug 20, 2020, 04:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mono

Quote from: E-Money on Jan 14, 2021, 11:34 PM
The Swerve City riff is by far my least favorite riff he's ever created ... so boring . Same with you've seen the butcher ... both do absolutely nothing for me.

Wanting Stephen to branch out more.. I thought what he did on Smile was really cool. In my opinion he's writing has really gone downhill since he moved to the 8 and 9 string.. his heaviest and best material came on the 6 and 7's for sure... but that's just my opinion..

Nothing compares to BQAD, Lotion, Korea, Change, Hex, WGTB, KimDrac

Someone said a few days ago that they just seem safe now and I totally agree. Way less mysterious than they used to be. More predictable now and I hate that. And I feel the same about their live shows. We don't get many special moments anymore. And very little jams or passages inbetween songs anymore. It's like the atmosphere just isn't there. I remember Frank doing the coolest stuff inbetween songs back in the day. I really miss that.

Exactly!!!

Visionz

The "magic" definitely isn't all the way there anymore. Its all i can say to sum up what i really feel anymore without writing way to much down here and losing focus/my point. I do think it is Chi's absence and Deftones' age as a band. Imagine being 50 with all the expectation and drumming up new ideas especially as a fragmented band (we all are with Covid 19)..... and to antcipate they will bring it next time (fragmented especially) is a scary thought now for me. Wish they had it in them to hit each other in the forehead every morning and screen for fevers and hunker down (sounds like the best time ever if ever a time) and cook up something that they really truly, ALL believe in. Ohms is a good record, i respect it..... but can i dream?

film_maker

Quote from: mandalay on Jan 06, 2021, 03:41 AM
I can completely understand why V is somewhat disillusioned with the band's work following Cheng's death.  It's simply not the same band for many reasons and in many ways.  They are much safer now.  And it's not that Cheng was the source of the band's edge/mystique, or that they wouldn't have progressed this way should that accident not have occurred.  It's impossible to nail down the change to one particular reason, but safe to say it's not the same band in many ways.

That said, I still find their past works - particularly WP, ST, some of SNW, and Eros era material - absolutely enthralling, especially live footage from 1999-2004.  That connection is so deep and, after 20 years of being a fan, will never be dulled.  And it's what keeps me coming back here as well. 

As far as Ohms, I'm frankly surprised so many are in love with album.  I certainly don't need WP, ST, or older material rehashed and duplicated.  But what I've come to expect from the band are interesting, new ideas/riffs, profound lyrics, unique melodies, and unmistakable depth. I didn't find any of those things on this record.  Instead, I found some contrived/lazy riffs, uninspired or cringey lyrics, and a band phoning it in with a producer who are all past their creative peaks. 

It KILLS me to say these things about a band I love so dearly, but if something doesn't click with me personally, then that's my opinion.  Of course, everyone has their own, and no opinion is right/wrong, but some are more shared than others, which can shut out dissenting ones. I will say the riff on "Radiant City" is pretty badass, but after at least 100 listens to Ohms since release, I still can't hear any of the songs in my head when trying to recall them.  For me a forgettable record, but truly happy it resonated with so many others. 

And in no way does my experience with Ohms at all put a dent in my appreciation for the band I grew up on and with many years ago.

Quote from: E-Money on Jan 14, 2021, 11:34 PM
The Swerve City riff is by far my least favorite riff he's ever created ... so boring . Same with you've seen the butcher ... both do absolutely nothing for me.

Wanting Stephen to branch out more.. I thought what he did on Smile was really cool. In my opinion he's writing has really gone downhill since he moved to the 8 and 9 string.. his heaviest and best material came on the 6 and 7's for sure... but that's just my opinion..

Nothing compares to BQAD, Lotion, Korea, Change, Hex, WGTB, KimDrac

Someone said a few days ago that they just seem safe now and I totally agree. Way less mysterious than they used to be. More predictable now and I hate that. And I feel the same about their live shows. We don't get many special moments anymore. And very little jams or passages inbetween songs anymore. It's like the atmosphere just isn't there. I remember Frank doing the coolest stuff inbetween songs back in the day. I really miss that.

These are some of the most lucid and spot on analysis I have read of the current state of the band. I think Koi No Yokan hints at some elements from the previous albums until SNW, but still not the same band as it was. OHMS for me so far sounds like a more cohesive version of Gore, which is good but  not ideal ....gotta say the last time the band gave me goosebumps was when I heard Smile....still, Spell of Mathematics its the kind of song I always wanted to hear from them.....its sludgy, but its mixed with a mysterious post punk/gothic vibe from the bands Chino and Sergio listen and wear T-shirts at live shows (like Siouxsie And The Banshees).

EDIT: I'm not a forum heavy user, so I don't know how to take my paragraph out of the first quote  ;D

Formant

I just think that Ohms faces the problem of not breaking totally new ground for the band. There are no truly bold steps on this album, to my ears. The synth sounds may be mentioned as one such step, but that seemed to be more of a theme than anything (an allusion to the 80s sound).

I suppose there doesn't need to be any bold steps on an album, but for a band this long in the tooth why NOT? Bold moves are compelling, sonic changes mean growth! For all Gore is, it at least represented a slightly greater attempt at that (even dealing with the same nostalgic vibes in a prototype way).

The album just doesn't have the feeling of progression to me. The songs are there, as solid as most are, but they don't bring coherent direction. Pompeji certainly FEELS like a climax, but the album doesn't seem to earn it-- what is it truly the climax of? Ohms certainly FEELS triumphant, like an epiphany, especially if you listen to it standalone-- but the album doesn't build up to it (as a closing track) the same way White Pony did Pink Maggit, or SNW did Riviere. Headless is my least favorite track, and within the album it also doesn't set the stage for the closer like a penultimate song should (again, think Kimdracula into Riviere and Change into Pink Maggit).

The album comes across to me like it is trying to be cinematic. It wants to have the exposition, the buildup, the climax, and the (in this case triumphant) closer like a movie does. All of this set in some broken, maybe apocalyptical world metaphorical to our own (per the lyrics of Genesis and Ohms). But personally it didn't work for me.  It is certainly a cool idea, but the song power just isn't there to back it up. Perhaps a different song order would help, to better re-contextualize the final track, but again the song power isn't there imo. If it was for you, then hell yeah man! This is certainly not a bad album, and if this album is a daily listen for you then that's killer. It just doesn't achieve (to me) what it appears to set out to.

Sunbath

My top-3 Deftones albums in order they're released: S/T, SNW & Ohms. Those three are like number one for me. White Pony obviously then the second.

I think Ohms is super focused. It still feels fresh after few months. Songs offer more structure-wise than ever. I have no problem Steph doing what he does. I will take a band as a cohesive entity over the need of a guitarist showing off their skills in a heartbeat. Anyday. And that's what Deftones sounds now more than ever during Sergio-era. A cohesive entity. Can't wait what they'll come up with the next one!

Only things I wish were different:

- Genesis: Not a fan of the chorus nor the intro. Both feel a little too familiar from the last 10 years.
- Radiant City: The song would've benefitted of the second verse cutted in half or replace the latter half with the new part in the song. To me it feels a bit too repetitive especially with that repetitive riff as it is.

Vesanic

Ceremony is the new single

976-EVIL

Quote from: Vesanic on Jan 28, 2021, 02:04 AM
Ceremony is the new single

That Track has grown on me more than any other on the Album.
One last Thing...You Should Beware the Content!!

Thank God that you........ love..... at all.

secretbandinsider

@Formant Headless is your least fave? Dude, that song rules.

Formant

Quote from: secretbandinsider on Jan 29, 2021, 01:34 PM
@Formant Headless is your least fave? Dude, that song rules.

I respect your love for it, man. It feels like a combo of SNW and KNY, which should be right up my alley!

But I dunno, I'm not into Chino's vocals throughout the track-- they feel thin and strained. And the lyrics come off an odd way. The transitions between verse and chorus, and then amongst the bridge sections (when the intro guitar returns), don't feel smooth-- more so jittery, like momentum keeps being lost. The song just kinda happens, feels like it wants to be momentous but the production doesn't provide that. A whimper rather than a bang.

Like I said, it also doesn't open the door for Ohms in the best way imo. Then again, no one track can do that, it has to be the whole album.

defsteve

Crosses ††† : Facebook | Twitter | YouTube | Website

Gaz

Inkblades

https://www.instagram.com/p/CN3DR_ULv33/

Looks like they have a big Hollywood director for Ceremony. Should be interesting.

LG95

I'm looking forward to that. Ceremony feels deserving of a video.
I could float here forever

Inkblades

lungdamage

Is anyone a lip reader? What is said at the end by that green pendant witch lady ? :)

The video reminded a little bit of a part of the movie 'DARK WEB: CICADA 3301'a little bit. With the questions, rituals and tests.

Applies eye makes up. Steps away/ walks past pristine white car with a lit interior. Descends into deeper levels/states of bad to get to where she thinks she wants to go.
Gives away a golden bee statue  - at this point shes pretty much at some debaucherous knife party.
Then walks past an owl - gets fanged - then walks past some lockers. Descends deeper to the last level.
Meets an upside down half moon crescent faced, green pendant wearing witch/ and is told the consequences of her actions? Rejected passage to the afterlife?

She won't be reborn? She's in purgatory? Lost her soul?

She's damned? She's dead? Her fate is revealed?

Some Ohm Seti priestess shit about reincarnation?

......Nickelback wrote all her favourite deftones songs?

...............They don't validate parking?

Seemed to have more than a few nods to the white pony era/ diamond eyes style white owl thrown in there too.

o.O

Hmmm.........I didn't see many ledges.................... So I'm just chalking it up to 'It's just some random shit about honey' 😂 

Or more likely, 'You don't want to know what the lyrics really mean.... the truth is too dark' / 'Be careful what you wish for' vibe.

Really dig the film clip.

Drop-Dead

Quote from: lungdamage on Apr 21, 2021, 08:40 PM
Is anyone a lip reader? What is said at the end by that green pendant witch lady ? :)

The trick on this kind of cinematography is to make the sync lip to be completely unsynced to the actual words, so I guess she's just saying blah blah blah

Far away

Quote from: Vesanic on Dec 30, 2020, 10:06 AM
There's probably not a big mystery behind it. Deftones just happened to become masters at building a mystique without even knowing. That's how I became a fan!

You know what? Thats 1000% the way I feel.

Quote from: rainnyx4 on Jan 13, 2021, 01:03 AMFrom what we've heard of Eros, it didn't sound that interesting

It might be me, but I loved a lot of the 'Eros' leak.

Vesanic

I thought the video was really cool!

LG95

I was kind of underwhelmed on first watch but it's actually really well done; really cool, creepy vibe, beautifully shot, lots of cool references that I wasn't expecting too.

Two good videos on one Deftones album. Mental.
I could float here forever