Necrocetaceanbeastiality

Quote from: aenemic on Jan 17, 2007, 06:52 AM
current favorites...

The Berzerker
Agalloch
Strapping Young Lad
Anaal Nathrak

Never heard of any of those bands.

But I have just recently come to the conclusion that musically, anything you like, totally rules.

4th Eye

Quote from: Azwethinkweiz on Jan 15, 2007, 06:57 PM
what about the interview with "gaahl" from gorgoroth?

damn, one twisted fuck right there.

".......................................................................long pause................................satan"

lol.

Yeah...that was quite an expected answer...

"What inspires you in music?"
"............................Satan."

And then he just sipped some liquid that seemed like red wine. That guy was just so diabolically calm that it was kinda disturbing.

I don't support black metal artists (so I download the albums) but some of the stuff sounds good. Like burning of churches is fucked up but damn, some of them can play!

Quote from: You Fail Me on Jan 17, 2007, 07:24 AM
Quote from: aenemic on Jan 17, 2007, 06:52 AM
current favorites...

The Berzerker
Agalloch
Strapping Young Lad
Anaal Nathrak

Never heard of any of those bands.

But I have just recently come to the conclusion that musically, anything you like, totally rules.

Yeah, check those out too. Agalloch kinda falls in the category of Opeth-like bands.

Racer X

I've got Sirius Radio and have been listening to channel 27's Beyond the Pit show alot.
It's some of  the best music I've heard in a long time. Which has been few and far between for awhile. Othewise Ch. 27 plays some so so stuff over and over again all day, but still OK.

Sample playlist for Beyond the Pit:
Official Beyond The Pit 1/14/07

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Regurgitate - (We Are) Sadistic Hateful Scum
Anal Cunt - You're A Cop
Impaled - Mondo Medicale
Old Man's Child - The Flames Of Deceit
Behemoth - As Above So Below
Torture Killer - Heading Towards The Butchery
Napalm Death - Scum
Goatwhore - Beauty In Suffering
Krisiun - Bloodcraft
Darkthrone - Striving For A Piece Of Lucifer
Gorgoroth - Carving A Giant
Dimmu Borgir - Cataclysm Children
Vader - Warlords
Obituary - Intoxicated
Infamy - Graveside Bloodfeast
Aborted - Medical Deviance

If you don't have Sirius radio do yourself a big favor and get it. Seriously.

Drakesmoke1

'That island, on the beach. We could take this boat...'

oldgentlovecraft

I fucking love black metal.  The bands that were or might have been actively involved in church burning (not to say there aren't more) are Burzum and Mayhem, two of the earlier bands.  I think the guy from Burzum's in prison and Mayhem, well they're just fucked up.  The lead singer shot his own head off and then left a note that said, "Excuse all the blood".   Funny in a really sick sort of way.  I don't really listen to those two bands, but I love Gorgoroth, Darkthrone, Emperor, Enslaved, Borknagar, Dark Funeral, Akercocke, 1349 and the most loved or hated band of all, Cradle of Filth.  How can you like horror films and not love the dark, raw atmosphere of black metal?  And yes, some of these fuckers can play. As far as supporting them, Hell yeah.  There is a point where you have to realize that many of these bands are simply using theatrics to sell their music, but some of them do believe what they preach.  I listen to so much metal that  I don't need controversy to move me to listen to specific bands.  If they're good then they get my ear.  Horns.

Drakesmoke1

For anyone interested in this, and I know this may be an obvious pointer, but the 'Lords of Chaos' book is really worth getting.

To be honest in BM I only particularly find Emperor interesting musically (although I haven't particularly investigated it in depth) but also Darkthrone and Immortal occasionally put out cool shit.

Anyway the most evil band ever is Entombed. 'When in Sodom' was blinding.

Gaz

I could never get into black metal, I was always curious about it but never liked it.

oldgentlovecraft

Evil music?  Today is the Day or Akercocke get my vote.  Black metal is definitely an acquired taste.  Just like all heavier music.

Oldnewtype

Damn glad to finally see a thread on this kind of stuff. I have an infinite, passionate bond with music like BM, particularly stuff like Emperor (In The Nightside Eclipse is probably my favorite BM album of all time) The Berzerker, Mayhem, Bathory, Crpytopsy, Behemoth, Goatwhore, Dark Funeral, Slayer, Vital Remains, I could go on and on. I mean I'm not really a metal head i listen to everything but black metal is definitely not something that should be overlooked as often as it is.

oldgentlovecraft

Quote from: Oldnewtype on Jan 21, 2007, 02:04 AM
Damn glad to finally see a thread on this kind of stuff. I have an infinite, passionate bond with music like BM, particularly stuff like Emperor (In The Nightside Eclipse is probably my favorite BM album of all time) The Berzerker, Mayhem, Bathory, Crpytopsy, Behemoth, Goatwhore, Dark Funeral, Slayer, Vital Remains, I could go on and on. I mean I'm not really a metal head i listen to everything but black metal is definitely not something that should be overlooked as often as it is.

Hell yeah!  Finally, someone who enjoys black metal!

Jizzlobber

im listening to a lot of MESHUGGAH at the moment. 'Destroy erase improve' is a killer album
<

oldgentlovecraft

Meshuggah is a great band.  Ever heard their early material?  It sounds much more like Metallica, it's kind of funny actually. 

Gaz

New Beneath The Massacre album has leaked, dl'ing now. I can't wait to hear it

Check em out http://www.myspace.com/btm

Drakesmoke1

Quote from: oldgentlovecraft on Jan 23, 2007, 01:41 AM
Meshuggah is a great band.  Ever heard their early material?  It sounds much more like Metallica, it's kind of funny actually. 

Yeah it's shite!

I really love the last two releases by them. Has anyone bought the new remixed 'Nothing'? Any noticeable difference?

Gaz

Quote from: Drakesmoke1 on Jan 23, 2007, 07:52 PM

I really love the last two releases by them. Has anyone bought the new remixed 'Nothing'? Any noticeable difference?

They re-recorded the guitar on 8 strings, it's sounds a lot heavier and some songs are slowed down. I bought it mainly for the DVD that came with it. Meshuggah are well up in the list of my favorite bands.

deftoner664

Okay.. well sorry for being a dipshit but.. i just want some recommendations.. I love In flames.. and shit like that and Meshuggah love that shit.. I just like atmospheric metal that just isnt chugging and growls... i like that but not through the whole song.. like i love killswitch and them catchy melodic choruses they write.. can anyone recommend any type of bands like that..
Sharing Lungs member since Oct 07, 2005 to Present

Gaz

Quote from: deftoner664 on Jan 24, 2007, 01:09 AM
Okay.. well sorry for being a dipshit but.. i just want some recommendations.. I love In flames.. and shit like that and Meshuggah love that shit.. I just like atmospheric metal that just isnt chugging and growls... i like that but not through the whole song.. like i love killswitch and them catchy melodic choruses they write.. can anyone recommend any type of bands like that..

Check out

At The Gates
Carcass
The Black Dahlia Murder

deftoner664

Sharing Lungs member since Oct 07, 2005 to Present

Jizzlobber

yeah its quite similiar, they have said they were influenced by a lot of 80's metal so...i dunno, makes sense. But their newer shit is amazing.

and Ghost said 'At The Gates' was a good band.  'At the Gates' are a KILLER band!!!
they sound like an early version of 'Lamb of God' sort of. well, LOG definatly have been influenced by them.
<

Gaz

Quote from: Jizzlobber on Jan 24, 2007, 09:11 AM

yeah its quite similiar, they have said they were influenced by a lot of 80's metal so...i dunno, makes sense. But their newer shit is amazing.

and Ghost said 'At The Gates' was a good band.  'At the Gates' are a KILLER band!!!
they sound like an early version of 'Lamb of God' sort of. well, LOG definatly have been influenced by them.

Erm, I don't really see similarities between Lamb of God and At The Gates. Bands like The Black Dahlia Murder have a heavy influence from At The Gates.