Sharing Lungs - Deftones Online Community

Diamond Eyes - Thoughts + reviews

Started by pissedandpierced, Oct 11, 2007, 08:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sing blue silver

Quote from: from_musings on Jan 14, 2011, 09:17 PM
haha that was not a memory,was it? that was made up story that suited your point, no? :) 

ummm.. nope. they were booked to play festivals in europe and called sergio since he had filled in for chi before. pretty sure i don't care enough about this argument to lie.

from_musings

Quote from: sing blue silver on Jan 14, 2011, 09:21 PM
haha that was not a memory,was it? that was made up story that suited your point, no? :)  

ummm.. nope. they were booked to play festivals in europe and called sergio since he had filled in for chi before. pretty sure i don't care enough about this argument to lie.

so when chino said that they thought about quitting as a band after the accident, they still would go out on a european tour?

sing blue silver

Quote from: from_musings on Jan 14, 2011, 09:28 PM
Quote from: sing blue silver on Jan 14, 2011, 09:21 PM

so when chino said that they thought about quitting as a band after the accident, they still would go out on a european tour?

hmmm maybe you have a point. i'm speaking purely from memory (and mines not so great due to many years of marijuana use) so i could be wrong. it'd be pretty damn weak if they kept on as a band for purely contractual reasons.

from_musings

yeah i guess so  >:(  but I still prefer a deftones active by those weak reasons than no deftones at all

sing blue silver

Quote from: from_musings on Jan 14, 2011, 09:50 PM
yeah i guess so  >:(  but I still prefer a deftones active by those weak reasons than no deftones at all

true. it still just seems so horribly out of character. but i guess money will do strange things to a man.

from_musings

yes at the end of the day it all boils down to money.a lot revolves around it anyway.No,nothing strange about it really, everyone knows about it, but what bothers me is that they don't stand for it. I often feel like they feed us with a lot of bullshit in interviews. We are looking for facts but all we get is whitewashing of the truth, smoke screens and cover ups to hide an ugly truth.just think of everything around the chi thing *tinfoil hat deluxe*well fuck that shit, a true fan will show unconditional love no matter what.over time i think things will pop up. maybe in the chino bioraphy. "i used to make money on lies, now i want to sell books and make money on the truth" :p

DEFinatelydeftones,fsho

Quote from: from_musings on Jan 14, 2011, 08:55 PM
Quote from: sing blue silver on Jan 13, 2011, 08:04 PM
well they could have quit and released compilations or something. a b-sides 2, a greatest hits, hell even eros could have turned up, and perhaps that would finish out their contract.

yeah,it depends on how many records they have left to do. If it's like 5, they have to do more albums with more material to release. I mean they just can't release like linus and shit on warner.I'm glad deftones didn't end their carrer with the questionable snw, released a greatest hits (so not them) and then release more out of fashion songs on disc.what a sad ending to an otherwise awesome career. I hope that when that day comes, they want to end it with flying colors.

deftones have every reason to be excited over diamond eyes because it turned out to be great album.But I was talking about the time even before it was written, when there was no diamond eyes to be excited about.there just is something strange about when chino comment on the situation back then,almost like they kind of talked about the situation over a beer or something... and then just "gravitated towards their instruments" and jammed a little,you know... "like friends do".
I just don't think sergio flew across the country to hang out and jam a bit and then flew back home. "hey we should do this again sometime"  Like I said, It seems the decision was already made. But Maybe it was deftones own decision to continue, who knows. I just don't think it was all coincidence. ok enough of this twaddle
Great point, right on i think.
Pushing you back but still you ain't goooooooooone!!!!!!

Poliarnik

About two weeks ago after listening to this album i fell in love with Deftones music. It did't happen several years ago after i listened to "White Pony" and "Deftones". Think, i just did'n get it then, and now i'm getting it fully.
During this two weeks i listened to all the albums of the guys, still "Diamond eyes" is my favorite.
I'm just kind of drown in it. It's not so vicious, as "White Pony", it's much softer and more melodic, then the other Deftones' records. 'Sextape', one of my favorites, sounds like post-punk. "Heavy post-punk" - does this exist?)
And off course "Beauty Queen", "Prince" and "976-Evil" with their perfect  choruses.. Now i realy regret, that i didn't go to their gig in Moscow last summer. Wish i had been charmed by them earlier)

And, by the way, i still don't understand 80% of the lyrics from this album. 

I will let you down
I will make you hurt

Corleone

I think I prefer SNW over this album, they are pretty close, don't really listen to both albums. Only when they were first released. The only good songs on both albums I find are the slower songs.

Vesanic

Inkblades

Really? You dislike it that much? There are a couple of weak, overly commercial songs (I'm looking at you, Beauty School and Sextape) but the other songs are all good to great. Royal, Prince, CMND/CTRL, YSTB, Risk, 976, TPID I all love.

Corleone

YSTB and Royal are the only ones I find worth listening to. I've prob listened to this album hundreds of times and I find I dislike it the more I listen. I loved it at first, then slowly it just did nothing for me. I can still listen to the first 4 albums all the way through, almost daily.

Vesanic

Royal and Prince are the only ones I listen every now and then. But yet I don't enjoy them the way I would enjoy any other Deftones song. Just like Corleone said, loved it at first, now it does nothing to me.

DEFinatelydeftones,fsho

Quote from: Vesanic on Apr 06, 2011, 07:13 PM
Royal and Prince are the only ones I listen every now and then. But yet I don't enjoy them the way I would enjoy any other Deftones song. Just like Corleone said, loved it at first, now it does nothing to me.
Myself too, listen to really only 2 songs now. Royal and TPID which is one of many I am most fond of, from their studio records.  That song is underrated and unappreciated IMO. Frank kills it, matter of fact, the beginning of it sounds like a perfect live show intro and is the perfect example of the theme of DE. The lyrics are familiar in essence of Chino's classic vulnerability, but say so much in very little words to me. Love it.     PS:  This album could come back to me or any one of us later on as their records are famous for doing so. ?????????

theis

I still enjoy this album more than any other Deftones release.

Haters gonna hate.

DEFinatelydeftones,fsho

Quote from: Poliarnik on Mar 29, 2011, 09:05 PM
About two weeks ago after listening to this album i fell in love with Deftones music. It did't happen several years ago after i listened to "White Pony" and "Deftones". Think, i just did'n get it then, and now i'm getting it fully.
During this two weeks i listened to all the albums of the guys, still "Diamond eyes" is my favorite.
I'm just kind of drown in it. It's not so vicious, as "White Pony", it's much softer and more melodic, then the other Deftones' records. 'Sextape', one of my favorites, sounds like post-punk. "Heavy post-punk" - does this exist?)
And off course "Beauty Queen", "Prince" and "976-Evil" with their perfect  choruses.. Now i realy regret, that i didn't go to their gig in Moscow last summer. Wish i had been charmed by them earlier)

And, by the way, i still don't understand 80% of the lyrics from this album. 

Then you probably will NEVER get the lyrics from any of the others! This record is way more straight fwd for a Deftones record.

MommaBear

Quote from: theis on Apr 06, 2011, 11:38 PM

Haters gonna hate.

I really didn't like you, but this statement may be your saving grace. 

It may be because I am late to the game and just found the Deftones, or it may be because the maturer side of the Deftones appeals my oldness, but so far Diamond Eyes has been my favorite.  My disclaimer however, is that I am still getting to know all of the discography at this point.

Vesanic

Quote from: theis on Apr 06, 2011, 11:38 PM

Haters gonna hate.

I'm always the first one saying " To each their own ", but that's beyond my mind.

Corleone

Quote from: DEFinatelydeftones,fsho on Apr 06, 2011, 11:31 PM
Myself too, listen to really only 2 songs now. Royal and TPID which is one of many I am most fond of, from their studio records.  That song is underrated and unappreciated IMO. Frank kills it, matter of fact, the beginning of it sounds like a perfect live show intro and is the perfect example of the theme of DE. The lyrics are familiar in essence of Chino's classic vulnerability, but say so much in very little words to me. Love it.     PS:  This album could come back to me or any one of us later on as their records are famous for doing so. ?????????

This is very true, and I also like TPID alot too.

I think why I'm negative to this album is because I was looking forward to more experimental Deftones (Eros)... if only they would just release that shit. You know it's going to good because they don't even want to release it without chi. Produced by Terry Date, a true Deftones album.

sing blue silver

Quote from: Vesanic on Apr 06, 2011, 07:13 PM

you liked diamond eyes at one point?

now that i've had time to really take the album in, here's a cliche list!

Around The Fur
Self Titled
Saturday Night Wrist
White Pony
Diamond Eyes
Adrenaline

this changes all the time though and i love each one in their own way...