Sharing Lungs - Deftones Online Community

Diamond Eyes - Thoughts + reviews

Started by pissedandpierced, Oct 11, 2007, 08:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

E-Money

Sextape has become my favorite deftones song... Go figure.

There Will Be Blood

Quote from: E-Money on Apr 07, 2011, 03:52 AM
Sextape has become my favorite deftones song... Go figure.

I hear ya bro, that and beauty school for me.

DEFinatelydeftones,fsho

Quote from: MommaBear on Apr 07, 2011, 12:57 AM
Quote from: theis on Apr 06, 2011, 11:38 PM
I still enjoy this album more than any other Deftones release.

Haters gonna hate.

I really didn't like you, but this statement may be your saving grace. 

It may be because I am late to the game and just found the Deftones, or it may be because the maturer side of the Deftones appeals my oldness, but so far Diamond Eyes has been my favorite.  My disclaimer however, is that I am still getting to know all of the discography at this point.
You are so lucky. I am envious of you rather than looking down to you in the case of you just getting the discography because I savored the feeling I felt each time a record was released like a fucking drug, and you are like....mainlining? soak it up girl. Gorddamn!!!!
Pushing you back but still you ain't goooooooooone!!!!!!

DEFinatelydeftones,fsho

Quote from: Corleone on Apr 07, 2011, 03:10 AM
Quote from: DEFinatelydeftones,fsho on Apr 06, 2011, 11:31 PM
Myself too, listen to really only 2 songs now. Royal and TPID which is one of many I am most fond of, from their studio records.  That song is underrated and unappreciated IMO. Frank kills it, matter of fact, the beginning of it sounds like a perfect live show intro and is the perfect example of the theme of DE. The lyrics are familiar in essence of Chino's classic vulnerability, but say so much in very little words to me. Love it.     PS:  This album could come back to me or any one of us later on as their records are famous for doing so. ?????????

This is very true, and I also like TPID alot too.

I think why I'm negative to this album is because I was looking forward to more experimental Deftones (Eros)... if only they would just release that shit. You know it's going to good because they don't even want to release it without chi. Produced by Terry Date, a true Deftones album.
The thought of the whole gorddamn Eros story (still editing, lol) gives me anxiety. I have issues in my own personal life like everybody else and this actually bugs me as bad as my own worst case. lol Makes me have some negative feelings inside for Deftones. Do it for Chi assholes!

MommaBear

Quote from: DEFinatelydeftones,fsho on Apr 09, 2011, 04:46 PM
You are so lucky. I am envious of you rather than looking down to you in the case of you just getting the discography because I savored the feeling I felt each time a record was released like a fucking drug, and you are like....mainlining? soak it up girl. Gorddamn!!!!

Love the analogy.  The only problem I am having is that I started with DE, and planned to move on, but I can't!!!!  Every week I find a new appreciation for one of the songs that wasn't really capturing my attention the week before.  So, just when I think I've had enough and I've got the feel for the album and want to move on, I get sucked back in.  It's hard to put into words what the hell I am trying to say, but hopefully it comes across at least a little bit.

976-EVIL

Diamond Eyes straight up Owns Honestly...
One last Thing...You Should Beware the Content!!

Thank God that you........ love..... at all.

Penicks

no no no

it is without a shadow of a doubt their absolute worst

Corleone

Quote from: Penicks on Apr 10, 2011, 04:39 PM
no no no

it is without a shadow of a doubt their absolute worst

It;s better than bsides...maybe not

There Will Be Blood

bsides was good, but we heard it before.

DEFinatelydeftones,fsho

Quote from: MommaBear on Apr 09, 2011, 05:07 PM
Quote from: DEFinatelydeftones,fsho on Apr 09, 2011, 04:46 PM

Love the analogy.  The only problem I am having is that I started with DE, and planned to move on, but I can't!!!!  Every week I find a new appreciation for one of the songs that wasn't really capturing my attention the week before.  So, just when I think I've had enough and I've got the feel for the album and want to move on, I get sucked back in.  It's hard to put into words what the hell I am trying to say, but hopefully it comes across at least a little bit.
Well, don't play it out. Their records are best fit to revisit. Move on from Adrenaline and on. Linus is cool in all IMO to hear them young and undeveloped but IMO again, is not a great collection of music compared to the others. Just some good advice I think everybody here could agree with.

DEFinatelydeftones,fsho

It goes ST, WP, ATF, DE, Adren, SNL for me. I don't really Claim B-sides in this particular group. It's more of a compilation for me. Love it though. Diamond Eyes is the shiiiit  but they all are and am happy they are all good enough to be changed in my ratings periodically. The only one that doesn't move is ST. PERFECTION is the name of that record in this household.

snw9

Quote from: DEFinatelydeftones,fsho on Apr 10, 2011, 08:52 PM
It goes ST, WP, ATF, DE, Adren, SNL for me. I don't really Claim B-sides in this particular group. It's more of a compilation for me. Love it though. Diamond Eyes is the shiiiit  but they all are and am happy they are all good enough to be changed in my ratings periodically. The only one that doesn't move is ST. PERFECTION is the name of that record in this household.

Im shocked u DE before ST. DE is a lot more sophisticated and fresh in terms of song structures and definitely captures ambience, a good mix of old school and new school deftones. Not to mention how the production quality on DE exceeds ST. This brings me to a conclusion: Terry date should not produce the next deftones album! the band is progressing with different producers.

oh and its SNW not SNL :)
Code: [Select]

DEFinatelydeftones,fsho

Quote from: juvenile on Apr 11, 2011, 02:51 AM

Im shocked u DE before ST. DE is a lot more sophisticated and fresh in terms of song structures and definitely captures ambience, a good mix of old school and new school deftones. Not to mention how the production quality on DE exceeds ST. This brings me to a conclusion: Terry date should not produce the next deftones album! the band is progressing with different producers.

Wow, no need for a human spellcheck. I have big hands and I tend to spell things wrong only because of my fingers. No biggie. Crazy how ppl tend to look so deep into what others do on here as far as "mistakes"go. lol Well ST is my favorite record and that's that. The technical shit doesn't always or sometimes ever influence my opinion on how I feel about a record. And it's the lyrics on ST and the theme I get from it myself. The times and the way I was living at the time too (not a new fan by far) play a big part in that too. I like the darker records and this is unarguably the darkest of them. I watch probably too much SNL too man, lol

Vesanic

Im shocked u DE before ST. DE is a lot more sophisticated and fresh in terms of song structures and definitely captures ambience, a good mix of old school and new school deftones.

I totally disagree. S/T is way more complex and creates bigger moods, its soul is immense, and Diamond Eyes, to me, doesn't have any trace of a soul. The whole record is way more " sophisticated " than Diamond Eyes. But yeah, it's probably just my opinion...

Not to mention how the production quality on DE exceeds ST.

Sorry but no. And this is not an opinion, it is a fact, Diamond Eyes production is way too polished and clean, whereas Deftones' sound needs rawness but still with an impeccable quality, which is what Terry Date brought on Around the Fur, White Pony and the self-titled.

bodywars9000

Quote from: DEFinatelydeftones,fsho on Apr 11, 2011, 03:20 AM

Wow, no need for a human spellcheck. I have big hands and I tend to spell things wrong only because of my fingers. No biggie. Crazy how ppl tend to look so deep into what others do on here as far as "mistakes"go. lol Well ST is my favorite record and that's that. The technical shit doesn't always or sometimes ever influence my opinion on how I feel about a record. And it's the lyrics on ST and the theme I get from it myself. The times and the way I was living at the time too (not a new fan by far) play a big part in that too. I like the darker records and this is unarguably the darkest of them. I watch probably too much SNL too man, lol

Yea, cuz not to be an asshole or anything, the L and the W are on totally oppisite ends of the keyboard, you must really have some giant fingers lol

976-EVIL

"I totally disagree. S/T is way more complex and creates bigger moods, its soul is immense, and Diamond Eyes, to me, doesn't have any trace of a soul. The whole record is way more " sophisticated " than Diamond Eyes. But yeah, it's probably just my opinion..."--- VESANIC (sorry I screwed up the quote box thing)

Rarely disagree with you Vesanic but I have to take issue with the Diamond Eyes does not have a trace of soul comment. I think you can really feel the pain of Chi's accident and the effect it has had on this record. Granted S/T is definitely sways and crushes with the mood swings and the "epic" feel of the record. But to say DE has no soul?

Listen to 976-Evil (the song not the member), no passion or soul? Just sayin dude.......

One last Thing...You Should Beware the Content!!

Thank God that you........ love..... at all.

Vesanic

Quote from: 976-EVIL on Apr 11, 2011, 08:27 PMListen to 976-Evil (the song not the member), no passion or soul? Just sayin dude.......

Well, it might have a soul, but to me (I insist, TO ME), it's just too clean, too... too " lovely ", you know ? Too polished. S/T soul is just like 48481818times bigger, deeper and more beautiful than DE soul. To me, once again.

Penicks

there's not an inch of tension in 976-evil. it's just boring, just like a lot of other DE songs (title track, risk, beauty school), ....

never thought i'd say this, but chino's voice is too present. it's too loud. he shouts (not screaming, but shouting) too much. calm down chino. i loved you when you whispered. when you softly spoke words one minute and just like that let out a brutal scream like a mfka. you know, dynamics. uuugh

nicklav

Gonna have to agree with Penicks and Vesanic. That said, I still enjoy DE from time to time. I just want ATF Chino back. Give me another MX please.

DEFinatelydeftones,fsho

Quote from: Penicks on Apr 11, 2011, 09:37 PM
there's not an inch of tension in 976-evil. it's just boring, just like a lot of other DE songs (title track, risk, beauty school), ....

never thought i'd say this, but chino's voice is too present. it's too loud. he shouts (not screaming, but shouting) too much. calm down chino. i loved you when you whispered. when you softly spoke words one minute and just like that let out a brutal scream like a mfka. you know, dynamics. uuugh
I love this. Love it! It reminded me that CMND/CNTRL is almost thee worst song I've heard him write! And sing. Hate it. Probably gave it a go 5x's (all I needed to hear) and my favorites like TPID 50x's. Silly-ass song. Goes with his uniform-like wardrobe. (never gave a shit about another man's clothing style) But I noticed he wears those metro-ass plaid pink shirts consecutively every few shows! That song and his new clothing style are very commercial to me. Hard to explain if u don't understand or think it's a lame observation. I like the Chino that didn't give a fuck. He's still dope though.