Sharing Lungs - Deftones Online Community

Diamond Eyes - Thoughts + reviews

Started by pissedandpierced, Oct 11, 2007, 08:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

from_musings

ok but be careful so you don't get stung!

theis

Penicks

wheresmysnare

Haha St and de are ok snw hmmm not so sure, none of them have the depth of white pony, St sometimes seems like it is a contender but that's just because it's so dark. De is better than snw and St because it's more of a finished product, it's more cohesive and it's put deftones back on track commercially, which has really spurred the band on, they seem happier in the interviews about the music.

sing blue silver

those three posts have just taken the cake of funniest exchange on SL ever.

raynor

Bought it today on cd. Kinda disappointed about the booklet. White text on black, jippie! Must have taken a coffee break to design it. Is the vinyl the same?

BillyNo.9

Since Diamond eyes came out I don't see the deftones the same way. I know it's because Chi's accident and I try not to let that put me off but it still does :\   I still love a lot of the songs on the album, just not as many of them as on the other 5 albums. Whenever I'm listening to my music player I normally skip a lot of the songs off that album. I think the whole thing just sounds a little mechanical IMO like the verse riff in rocket skates and diamond eyes, not to mention CMND/CTRL (still love it though). I know that could be down to Stef being a fan of Meshuggah and buying an 8 string because of them or whatever but Sergio isnt doing enough to compliment the music and take the sound to another level the way Chi could. The best part of Diamond Eyes for the most part are Franks parts. Like the firework noises and the part in the pre chorus in you've seen the butcher. Would much rather them have released Eros even if they wouldn't be able to tour it because of Chi's condition. I Just don't think anything they release without Chi will ever beat the shit they did with him.

Crazy Breed

Diamond Eyes is a great fucking album! Solid as fuck all the way through! the more i listen the deeper i fall in love with it!

You fuckers should be happy this band is still making music on a high level like this instead of bitching about it and comparing it to the past! it's 2011!! move on!! the past belongs in the past!
The shade, is a tool, a device....a saviour!

from_musings

Quote from: Crazy Breed on May 03, 2011, 07:59 PM
it's 2011!! move on!! the past belongs in the past!

again,what a bad idea. should we just forget everything they've ever done before 2010, forget about the material that made most of us fans? bury all the classics?
what's funny is that you've created threads for tracks like digital bath which is 11 years old and for gift, which is about 20 years old ,where you express your love for them. how do you think that fits with "don't live in the past move on" do you think? of course we can listen to those records,like em and compare em.and you who like concerts, you would like that they just played just diamond eyes songs at shows i guess?  what a fool. you're probably just mad cause you just got into em, never can experience those old magic times when those happend, and therefore wants a new countdown from 2010 or something. "hey! im crazy breed! i was there from the beginning! thats right in 2010 when they started out! i was down from day one,such a die hard i am!"

Crazy Breed

Quote from: from_musings on May 04, 2011, 08:26 AM

again,what a bad idea. should we just forget everything they've ever done before 2010, forget about the material that made most of us fans? bury all the classics?
what's funny is that you've created threads for tracks like digital bath which is 11 years old and for gift, which is about 20 years old ,where you express your love for them. how do you think that fits with "don't live in the past move on" do you think? of course we can listen to those records,like em and compare em.and you who like concerts, you would like that they just played just diamond eyes songs at shows i guess?  what a fool. you're probably just mad cause you just got into em, never can experience those old magic times when those happend, and therefore wants a new countdown from 2010 or something. "hey! im crazy breed! i was there from the beginning! thats right in 2010 when they started out! i was down from day one,such a die hard i am!"

First of all I didn't say forget the classics and only listen to the new shit....did I? No, I most certainly did fucking not! I love the old shit! What I was saying is, don't expect the new shit to sound like the old shit! Bands mature and grow up and seek new sounds and new things...and that's how it should be.....and if they are able to do that and still maintain "their sound" then that's great! And I don't give a flying fuck if you have been a fan since day one....that don't mean shit.....Love of a band is not measured by the length of time you have listened to them!! You think just because I only started to listen to them last year that that makes you a better fan than me or it gives you a sense of entitlement?! If so...you can kiss my ass!....not one person on this whole fucking board can question my devotion to music or my deep appreciation for this band.

I'm not sure if you are the type that needs everything spelled out for you or you just like starting shit when you see me post.
The shade, is a tool, a device....a saviour!

Oldnewtype

most of this page is tl;dr for me but I actually agree with what Vesanic said about DE missing that 'dirt', I love diamond eyes but the whole time i thought it just sounded to clean and pristine.

I'd like to hear something more raw and natural on the next record.

from_musings

Quote from: Vesanic
What do you think about Diamond Eyes one year after its release ? Were you impressed the first time you listened to it and now this feeling is gone ? Did you hate it at first but love it now ? Do you actually think it's Deftones best release, and if so, why ? And if you think it's the worst thing they've ever put out, why ?

I was impressed the first time i heard it and I still am, nothing has changed. with the disgusting aftertaste of snw, I didn't know where I had deftones... but I was pleasantly surprised that they could scrape together material so good in such a short time after eros. some songs are awesome others not at all, but I agree that there's too little dirt overall. i think the best songs on de kills the best songs on white pony for example (not a big wp fan, its alright), but white pony as a journey and as a whole is much better. d.e is just a collection of well-produced songs, no fly trip

Vesanic

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=epgNYzeMooI

You might like this, they talk about Diamond Eyes track by track.

DEFinatelydeftones,fsho

Quote from: Crazy Breed on May 04, 2011, 11:59 AM
Quote from: from_musings on May 04, 2011, 08:26 AM

what's funny is that you've created threads for tracks like digital bath which is 11 years old and for gift, which is about 20 years old ,where you express your love for them. how do you think that fits with "don't live in the past move on" do you think? of course we can listen to those records,like em and compare em.and you who like concerts, you would like that they just played just diamond eyes songs at shows i guess?  what a fool. you're probably just mad cause you just got into em, never can experience those old magic times when those happend, and therefore wants a new countdown from 2010 or something. "hey! im crazy breed! i was there from the beginning! thats right in 2010 when they started out! i was down from day one,such a die hard i am!"

First of all I didn't say forget the classics and only listen to the new shit....did I? No, I most certainly did fucking not! I love the old shit! What I was saying is, don't expect the new shit to sound like the old shit! Bands mature and grow up and seek new sounds and new things...and that's how it should be.....and if they are able to do that and still maintain "their sound" then that's great! And I don't give a flying fuck if you have been a fan since day one....that don't mean shit.....Love of a band is not measured by the length of time you have listened to them!! You think just because I only started to listen to them last year that that makes you a better fan than me or it gives you a sense of entitlement?! If so...you can kiss my ass!....not one person on this whole fucking board can question my devotion to music or my deep appreciation for this band.

I'm not sure if you are the type that needs everything spelled out for you or you just like starting shit when you see me post.
he's miserable. move on
Pushing you back but still you ain't goooooooooone!!!!!!

BJRed

Quote from: raynor on Apr 24, 2011, 10:56 PM
Bought it today on cd. Kinda disappointed about the booklet. White text on black, jippie! Must have taken a coffee break to design it. Is the vinyl the same?

The vinyl is the same, the inner sleeve has same lyric font on one side with the credits and a B&W pic of the owl on the other. S/T & SNW have the best vinyl sleeves IMO.

lillianbaker

White Pony is still my favorite, but I'm a big fan of Diamond Eyes. It's a pretty solid album. Just saw them live not too long ago, so I was able to enjoy the songs on a different level than just listening on my ipod.

TheyCallMeP

I loved Diamond Eyes when it first came out and still do now after repeated listens. It does sound "more finished" and "pristine" as a couple others have mentioned but for me that does not stand out as a glaring negative in terms of how I see the album. The record had a bunch of good songs like Royal, Butcher, Prince, ect.. and the music itself got stuck in my head for days at a time (976-evil especially). Part of the reason I may have liked it so much is SNW did little for me. SNW was good but nothing off there, aside from a few tracks, really stood out as that memorable to me. I'm pumped to see what the 'tones put out next

976-EVIL

One last Thing...You Should Beware the Content!!

Thank God that you........ love..... at all.

976-EVIL

GREAT VIDEO ABOVE! Thanks dude, I had not seen that before.
One last Thing...You Should Beware the Content!!

Thank God that you........ love..... at all.