Sharing Lungs - Deftones Online Community

Diamond Eyes - Thoughts + reviews

Started by pissedandpierced, Oct 11, 2007, 08:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

100Modem

Diamond Eyes is a great album in my opinion and way better then SNW. I like most of the songs but i cant stand Sextape or 976 Evil. Strangely i like Beauty School more then those.
Its a solid album overall, some mix of old and new deftones.

Redsun

Saturday Night Wrist is totally very original album i think.

A dark period for the band but result is very creative and original... Almost 2 years past, so we can comment more healthy... Diamond Eyes based on a more simple template imo... as the band says before it's a product of just 6 months.

Vesanic

The guitar sound on CMND/CTRL is horrible to me, saturated and stuff. The riff is killer but the production... Gosh. They need Terry back, for real.

sing blue silver

Quote from: Vesanic on Jul 20, 2011, 11:10 AM
The guitar sound on CMND/CTRL is horrible to me, saturated and stuff. The riff is killer but the production... Gosh. They need Terry back, for real.

Having Terry back is actually the thing I hope most for with a new deftones record. It's been way too long and he really mastered Stefan and Abe's sound. If they work with Nick again I'll be extremely disappointed. I like DE but his production just doesn't work as well for the band.

E-Money

^ no doubt!  We need Terry back. 

ponyx

I've actually been listening to Diamond Eyes (the song) a lot now, I started looking at it as any other song not just an annoying single. I love it.

nineteen

I always find the drums on Nick's recordings to be kinda flat. Just dead sounding and too compressed.

theis

I was just browsing through this thread and stumbled over a couple of Vesanic's posts:

Quote from: Vesanic on Mar 19, 2010, 12:31 PM
Listened to the full thing.

This record is a pure masterpiece. No bullshit, here. It is musical excellence.

Quote from: Vesanic on Mar 19, 2010, 12:46 PM
The most original thing they've ever put out.

...and now you can't listen to it at all and think it's basically a bad album.

I don't think I've ever seen anyone change their opinion, about an album, that drastically before.

I'm just baffled.

Vesanic

I won't lie, I totally loved it at first. And I'm pretty surprised myself, don't go and think I'm being an hypocrite or whatever. But it was just a first impression, I was all over the place because my favorite band had finally released some new music. My opinion was not matured in any way.

nineteen

Songs are cool as fuck. Still.

The production and sound of it have just become too stale for me....

from_musings

Quote from: theis on Aug 08, 2011, 11:28 PM
I was just browsing through this thread and stumbled over a couple of Vesanic's posts:

Quote from: Vesanic on Mar 19, 2010, 12:31 PM
Listened to the full thing.

This record is a pure masterpiece. No bullshit, here. It is musical excellence.

Quote from: Vesanic on Mar 19, 2010, 12:46 PM
The most original thing they've ever put out.

...and now you can't listen to it at all and think it's basically a bad album.

I don't think I've ever seen anyone change their opinion, about an album, that drastically before.

I'm just baffled.

haha so we got extreme praise, and extreme bashing.i wonder - was there ever something in between? or is the wonderful thing - the extreme itself?  :D

Vesanic

Quote from: from_musings on Aug 16, 2011, 08:22 PM
was there ever something in between?

Nope. A slight touch of realism made me see how Diamond Eyes was actually not that good at all.

DEFinatelydeftones,fsho

u could prob ably find all of the snw haters from a while back loving it now, also.
Pushing you back but still you ain't goooooooooone!!!!!!

from_musings

Quote from: Vesanic on Aug 17, 2011, 12:45 AM
Quote from: from_musings on Aug 16, 2011, 08:22 PM
was there ever something in between?

Nope. A slight touch of realism made me see how Diamond Eyes was actually not that good at all.

what made this flip flop decision? tell us about that day

TheyCallMeP

I've listened to their albums for quite some time and I still love this album. Fucking phenomenal and for being made in around 6 months, they pulled it off

cesar421

they should have release a video for prince instead of beauty school.

a lot of people who aren't deftones fans say that song kicks ass.

tarkil

Well, it does kick ass I must say...   :)

If ignorance is bliss, then knock the smile off my face.

pony_01

Diamond Eyes kick SNW ass pretty hard.

100Modem

It does. I really dont understand all the Diamond Eyes hate, I mean its only here I see some people disliking it (i know opinions its ok man)
But mine, its the best album they did since White Pony. Although I dont like songs like Sextape or 976evil, others like Prince, Royal, CMND/CTRL and Rockets Skates I felt in love since first hearing them. Its not  ATF but sometimes it sounds like it, sometimes.
I also like the self titled song, despite sounding a bit popish sometimes.

Vesanic

Quote from: 100Modem on Oct 17, 2011, 09:13 PM
I really dont understand all the Diamond Eyes hate

I don't HATE it. I don't dislike it as a record. I actually like it as a record. I just don't like it as a Deftones record.