Sharing Lungs - Deftones Online Community

Diamond Eyes - Thoughts + reviews

Started by pissedandpierced, Oct 11, 2007, 08:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sicario

Just listened to royal for the first time in awhile. The last 45 seconds of the song make want to fuck shit up. Otherworldly.
Men talk of killing time while time quietly kills them.

illthrowROCKS@U

Quote from: Vesanic on Oct 17, 2011, 11:13 PM
Quote from: 100Modem on Oct 17, 2011, 09:13 PM
I really dont understand all the Diamond Eyes hate

I don't HATE it. I don't dislike it as a record. I actually like it as a record. I just don't like it as a Deftones record.

I agree with this.  It's my least favorite Deftones album, and SNW was a MILLION times better.. but I still like it as a record.  But Risk, Royal, and Rocket Skates are pretty much the only songs from DE that ever get played on my itunes
9/26/10 - Patriot Center
5/22/11 - Sunset Cove Amphitheater
8/7/12 - Verizon Center
10/26/12 - Ram's Head Live
3/8/13 - House of Blues
10/8/13 - Baltimore Arena
7/31/15 - The Fillmore
8/8/15 - Susquehanna Bank Center
8/3/16 - Pier Six Pavillion
6/14/17 - MGM National Harbor
5/17/22 - The Anthem

Inkblades

976 is really underrated, IMO.

TheyCallMeP

976 is awesome, since the first listen of DE it has been one of my favorite songs. I like when Chino sings in songs like this and the whole feel of the song is enjoyable to me. I still don't know why Diamond Eyes gets the hate it does around this site. Behind Around the Fur, S/T, and White Pony, it is probably their best album. Not hating on the others, just a solid band with a solid body of work. Can't wait to hear what 2012 brings.

Inkblades

There's a very dreamy quality to 976 that I absolutely love.

silver1

Quote from: Inkblades on Dec 08, 2011, 01:03 PM

I totally agree. One of the best songs on Diamond Eyes, in my opinion.

100Modem

illthrowROCKS@U

Quote from: silver1 on Dec 15, 2011, 06:26 AM
Quote from: Inkblades on Dec 08, 2011, 01:03 PM

I totally agree. One of the best songs on Diamond Eyes, in my opinion.

Deleted it. Can only hold 6.5gs or some BS on my 8g iPod =/
9/26/10 - Patriot Center
5/22/11 - Sunset Cove Amphitheater
8/7/12 - Verizon Center
10/26/12 - Ram's Head Live
3/8/13 - House of Blues
10/8/13 - Baltimore Arena
7/31/15 - The Fillmore
8/8/15 - Susquehanna Bank Center
8/3/16 - Pier Six Pavillion
6/14/17 - MGM National Harbor
5/17/22 - The Anthem

snw9

Quote from: Inkblades on Dec 08, 2011, 03:40 AM
976 is really underrated, IMO.

Its like a lullaby that puts me to sleep....zzzzzzzz....
Code: [Select]

Robotsatemygrandma

I decided to give Diamond Eyes a spin today (actually right now). It really isn't that bad, doesn't deserve the flack it got on it's release. My initial thoughts of it's hidden romantic and dark clouds really become apparent with the first half. I do hear the "band on auto pilot", but I also hear why we love these guys. I still think Frank dropped the ball on Rocket Skates though. lol

It still, in my opinion, cannot hold a candle to some of their other albums (more specifically SNW, ATF, and WP). Although I may actually like it better then Self Titled collectively. But in fair arguement S/T has moments that stand out better then Diamond Eyes.

Uh oh!

:o

Even though I think the singing and some of the songwriting has really matured and set a status quo.

snw9

Quote from: Vesanic on Feb 22, 2012, 11:18 PM
Wywiad z Deftones - Rock in Summer, Park Sowińskiego, Warszawa, 16.08.2011

Thought I'd post this here. SO, the last unheard diamond eyes song is called Coby (working title) and abe cracks a joke about it being played. Care of verify if this was indeed played before?
Code: [Select]

hole-in-the-earth

Diamond Eyes is great! I love Sextape, This Place is Death, Beauty School and Risk as the calmer ones, and Rocket Skates, CMND/CTRL, Royal, Diamond Eyes and You've Seen the Butcher as the heavier ones. (YSTB isn't THAT heavy, but whatever)
From favorite to least favorite it's probably YSTB, Rocket Skates, Sextape, Diamond Eyes, Beauty School, Risk, This Place is Death, CMND/CTRL, Royal, 976-EVIL, then Prince. I like the covers they did on that album as well, those are great

sing blue silver

After all this time, my only complaint with the album is the title track Diamond Eyes. At first i thought it was great but it's worn off. It's boring and repetitive. Skipped every time but I still maintain the rest of the album is great.

TheyCallMeP

The more I listen to Diamond Eyes, the more I think it is better than Saturday Night Wrist (for me anyway). Saturday Night Wrist is a cooler album name though ha

Sicario

I do like the album name SNW. Way more creative.

Sicario

Quote from: TheyCallMeP on Apr 09, 2012, 04:11 AM
The more I listen to Diamond Eyes, the more I think it is better than Saturday Night Wrist (for me anyway). Saturday Night Wrist is a cooler album name though ha

I hate Saturday Night Wrist. HATE IT! I like a couple of songs. But DE is better imo. Although S/T is better than both.

DEFinatelydeftones,fsho

I like it. As time goes on, even more. But I know more people dislike SNW than any other record too so whatever u like. This may be the one time u don't get slayed on this board for giving an opinion, people like to do that like u share a brain! ;D ;D ;D Which is your favorite then? Then again, I like something about every one of their studio records and when I say that..... I am a ------ I guess. Wouldn't b here if I didn't like the music, ;D ;
Pushing you back but still you ain't goooooooooone!!!!!!

TheyCallMeP

If that was to me, I think Around The Fur is their best (mostly because of Chino's vocal performance on that disc). There were some good riffs but as someone else mentioned in another thread, guitar wise I feel ATF was a small step below Adrenaline. Favorites off DE currently are CMND/CNTRL, Butcher, and 976.

Sicario

Quote from: DEFinatelydeftones,fsho on Apr 09, 2012, 05:15 AM
I like it. As time goes on, even more. But I know more people dislike SNW than any other record too so whatever u like. This may be the one time u don't get slayed on this board for giving an opinion, people like to do that like u share a brain! ;D ;D ;D Which is your favorite then? Then again, I like something about every one of their studio records and when I say that..... I am a ------ I guess. Wouldn't b here if I didn't like the music, ;D ;
I really do like them all for different reasons, although SNW is just weak and fragmented to me. I like DE because it is a cohesive album from front to back. I can listen to it without skipping a song because it has a definite flow. Adrenaline is just raw. Its like finding minerals in the dirt in their natural state without being refined into precious metal. That's where ATF comes in. WP is good but it's not the best. I think it has some truly great moments, but as a record it's lacking to me. S/T was a grower for me as it was very heavy for my taste at the time. But the more I listen to it, the more I believe it captures beauty and aggression better than all of their albums. But then again it has Lucky You and Moana, which I don't like too much. To me the reason I like Deftones is because of their uniqueness and their changing styles. Some people will always say, "Well I don't like it, because it's not like their old stuff, not heavy and experimental enough." Others will say "Well it's too similar to their other stuff." Or  "It's sounding too much like pop." And some might just believe they suck. But I'm glad they've been a band of contrasting sounds for the most part.

deftoolsys07

Diamond Eyes is a Deftones album. It's good.
Check out my soundcloud/ facebook page with some music...

http://soundcloud.com/dan-koetter/