Sharing Lungs - Deftones Online Community

Diamond Eyes - Thoughts + reviews

Started by pissedandpierced, Oct 11, 2007, 08:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

from_musings

Quote from: Robotsatemygrandma on Feb 19, 2012, 01:14 AM
I still think Frank dropped the ball on Rocket Skates though. lol

haha yeah.the breakdown is laughable. luckily he failed on a shitty track to begin with so i really don't care too much :)  it's all good though, for most part on d.e he makes songs take off and fly so i guess he's excused for it

from_musings

Quote from: Heisenberg on Apr 09, 2012, 04:28 PM
Adrenaline is just raw. Its like finding minerals in the dirt in their natural state without being refined into precious metal.

this pleases me

cesar421

Diamond Eyes still feels fresh even if its a two year album.

therealdaebat

I bought my first deftones album in the 8th grade on a whim just searching for 'my sound'.  Those days were rough, got grounded a lot (which meant no tv, internet, phone, etc... just music) and white pony was probably the closest I could find to relating with how I felt.  Rage, depression, angst.  Eventually I got into adrenaline and around the fur (imo their best work) and at many points during college I wished I could have a chip inserted into my brain that would play adrenaline on loop all day every day (probably would have regretted that).  Self titled hit me during a weird stage during my life... lots of white powder those days and listening to the album still gives me chills.  Saturday Night Wrist, imo, was pretty weak and just an average album.  There are gems, don't  get me wrong, but then Diamond Eyes came out.  I cannot stop listening to it.  The replayability of it really shows how much they put into it and it is very obvious how good it is considering they promoted it with two back to back tours.  I lump Diamond Eyes with Adrenaline as their best stuff to date.
---------------------------------------------------------------
-DAEBAT

Dictated Not Read

http://reddit.com/r/deftones

DEFinatelydeftones,fsho

IMO not my favorite bc it's different than the rest to me but indeed a great record. I am happy that people do regard it one of their best. No argument there. It is great music especially in comparison to other music today. :)
Pushing you back but still you ain't goooooooooone!!!!!!

Vesanic

I'm going to unsticky this as Diamond Eyes is a thing from the past.

Penicks

dictatesofreason

Quote from: from_musings on Apr 13, 2012, 09:16 PM
Adrenaline is just raw. Its like finding minerals in the dirt in their natural state without being refined into precious metal.

this pleases me
me as well

bewareofrats

I never liked the chorus of Diamond Eyes.  That is one thing that definitely does not sound like Deftones to me on this record and much more generic radio rock/pop band.  Hopefully none of that or Sextape on KNY.  Hopefully no CMND/CTRL style vocals either.
Open-minded?  Here's some short videos to challenge your thinking:
http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL3B82C219AC3A6847

Blaze

I honestly consider this my second favorite Deftones album behind White Pony. 2 years later, and it's still as fresh as it was when I first heard it. I don't understand the hate with the choruses, especially when they get a bit radio-friendly on "Diamond Eyes", "Sextape", or "Beauty School". I personally love the fact that Deftones have range in the music industry, not to stick to the anti-mainstream explosive choruses and simply make the music they feel is right. I appreciate any music they put out regardless of the direction they're going in (though, I admit, if they touch dubstep I'm revoking my Deftones fan license). DE is still a close-masterpiece to me. Though I seem to be in the minority. Oh well.

bewareofrats

No no no, I'm not talking about the choruses on the album, I'm specifically talking about the chorus of Diamond Eyes the song.  I love Beauty School, it's my favourite song on the album and the other choruses are fine by me.

laurapalmer

song rankings.

11. Prince
10. 976 - Evil
9. CMND/CTRL
8. Beauty School
7. Risk
6. Diamond Eyes
5. Rocket Skates
4. Sextape
3. You've Seen The Butcher
2. This Place Is Death
1. Royal

bewareofrats

Song rankings are going a little too far.

RollerDerby

Quote from: from_musings on Apr 13, 2012, 09:16 PM

I love you.
"Carve your niche."

from_musings

bewareofrats

I'm guessing this is an all too common thing here?

SwerveCityUSA

keep this one alive, good, good stuff brothers and sisters. absolutely A-1 sound!
I'm bringing it in with style myself you know it is with ease no sweat

976-EVIL

Posted way back, but this Album is Superior to the next...

Love KNY but more Memorible Tracks on Diamond Eyes IMO
One last Thing...You Should Beware the Content!!

Thank God that you........ love..... at all.

SwerveCityUSA

Quote from: 976-EVIL on May 15, 2013, 05:27 AM
Posted way back, but this Album is Superior to the next...

Love KNY but more Memorible Tracks on Diamond Eyes IMO

It has to live a little longer to be more memorable, although for me I see it clearly from the start.

This album is and KNY are absolutely bludgeoning.
I'm bringing it in with style myself you know it is with ease no sweat

Electron§

Just listened to a few tracks off this last night, and I must admit, this album does have a sort of "freshness" to it when compared to the older stuff (probably just because its newer and i've heard it less times, etc.). "Diamond Eyes" and "You've Seen The Butcher" grew on me a little bit, but a lot of the other songs are kind of cheesy and if only Chino's vocals could have been produced and performed better the songs would be SO MUCH stronger. Listening to "Sextape" or "Diamond Eyes" instrumentally and then listening to the official songs with vocals makes me a little sad honestly. A unique kind of song for Deftones with good structure and another with a BAD ASS outro, but then Chino took a huge, commercial shit on both...

Other songs I dont even think are worthy at all. "Rocket Skates" sucks, "Beauty School"'s high guitar parts almost sound country-ish.....

"Royal" is another one Chino could have done better on.... "Risk"'s chorus sucks, but the verse is pretty sick... "The Place Is Death" has a beautiful chorus but once again Chino could have done a lot more with this... Something more subtle....

The only song that I really will definitively stand behind on this record is "976-Evil". I feel that one is probably the most genuine. Chino could have done a bit more with the chorus though....... Meehh.....

One thing Ive noticed about this album though is through out the songs it has these little moments where the music will kind of subside and ring out for a second or it may even be the end of the song but its just these moments feel like old school Deftones for just a minute, and then they go straight back into this new style crap.... For example the ending of "Diamond Eyes" is fucking brutal, that riff sounds like someones neck is being snapped over and over lol, or when the drums, bass and synth first kick in on "You've Seen The Butcher", that almost sounds like it could have been on S/T, until Chino fuck its up....... Then there's the ending of "Beauty School". That little riff is pretty damn heartbreaking. There's also that little break in "Rocket Skates" at around 2:35 where it sounds like shit is about to fucking go off when they go back into the heavy part, but instead they just repeat that lame riff..... Sigh.....