Sharing Lungs - Deftones Online Community

deftones and mbv (my bloody valentine) connection

Started by deftonesfan192, Sep 09, 2008, 10:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

deftonesfan192

Thought I'd share this

I went to see the deftones a year and a half ago and got to talking to chino...we discussed for at least 30 mins loveless and kevin shields

he said as im sure many bands have...to get in touch with kevin..he wanted kevin to record what would be now that saturday night wrist record...and if anyones heard it there is a pretty big dreamy/shoegaze/ etc al influence on it. He did end up speaking to kevin but kevin couldnt do it as he was recording what would now be the la volume curbe lp. Chino told me loveless is in his top 5 albums of all time and tried in vain for the band to make an album somewhat similar as he played terry date loveless and said "this is how i want my vocals to sound...really burried". The band of course wasnt too keen on the idea. Chino actually said "if I could even write 30 seconds of a song that is remotely compared to loveless i would be happy". I dont think he meant that as he wanted to write a mbv rip off track. He seemed really genuine about it and was happy someone was talking to him about something other then the deftones...

Yeah I know deftones get lumped in with that nu metal shit, chino knows it and hates it.

here's http://www.mybloodyvalentine.net/smf/index.php?topic=930.0 the link

P.S sorry if this has already been posted  8)

Zevaka

it's second part of Deftones = shoegaze thread

MBV are legends of dreampop/shoegaze, Deftones are legendary metal band, i like them both so much

But for me they are so different

downtownpony

I think selftitled has more of that feel to it. Even though he supposidly told terry date that when they were doin whitepony..

deftonesfan192

would av bin cool if kevin sheilds got in on it rather than serj even tho serj does have a unique voice so fair do's like...

Jerry_Curls

Quote from: downtownpony on Sep 09, 2008, 04:36 PM
I think selftitled has more of that feel to it. Even though he supposidly told terry date that when they were doin whitepony..

I'm pretty sure that's because after the success of White Pony, he was finally able to accomplish this request.

I hope their new album has a very  dreamy sound to it. Man, tons of bands are blending drone/metal with shoegaze. This might just be a special album.
..Yeah don't go there,

I let you get to me

yeah yeah.

downtownpony

yeah but if chinos not gonna be playin guitar it might be kinda hard.
unless they do alot of layering with steph.

wither-I

Quote from: Zevaka on Sep 09, 2008, 03:53 PM
it's second part of Deftones = shoegaze thread

MBV are legends of dreampop/shoegaze, Deftones are legendary metal band, i like them both so much

But for me they are so different
indeed zev. indeed my friend

"coming into the nearness of distance"

Jacob

I never understood why people first type a shortened version of a sentence/name/whatever, and then type out the full name within parentheses anyways. what's the point then? why not type the whole thing right away? it's (it is) stupid imo (in my opinion).
pray nightfall release me
then i could wander, wander to deep sleep

vadimo

Quote from: aenemic on Sep 10, 2008, 03:13 PM
I never understood why people first type a shortened version of a sentence/name/whatever, and then type out the full name within parentheses anyways. what's the point then? why not type the whole thing right away? it's (it is) stupid imo (in my opinion).

you sound like an old fart moaning about nothing worthy.

here is my contribution to this thread;
Hey deftonesfan192 - cheers for that info, didnt know he was so passionate about My Bloody Valentine, maybe one day they will do a cover.

deafnotes

chino loves siamese dreams too. i saw that top 5 album in revolver magazine