Sharing Lungs - Deftones Online Community

The Goods.

Started by weakcure, Dec 15, 2007, 06:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

weakcure

So here is my article featuring the Team Sleep interview. Keep in mind, this was a little tough to churn out because it had to be "print friendly," which meant a lot of good quotes and information didn't make the final version... but because I have love for Sharing Lungs, I'll share some of that at the bottom.  ::)

Standing in a cramped tour bus, guitarists Chino Moreno and Todd Wilkinson point to various dishes holding Middle Eastern appetizers. As I explain to them the ingredients of the dolmas, samosas, and hummus, DJ Crook and bassist Rick Verrett join, curious to find the source of commotion. In addition to drummer Zach Hill, the five compose the alternative rock band, Team Sleep, who stopped to play at Oklahoma City's Conservatory on Thursday, December 6th.

The most noticeable quality of the music created by Team Sleep is the myriad of sounds featured in each song. Layers of guitar, bass, keyboard, and remixed sounds pair well with Moreno's moody voice. Their songwriting process is arguably unconventional in comparison with that of most bands. Wilkinson, who is a self-taught guitar player and the only member not involved in a second band, says, "It's not really a contrived way of doing it; we'll each do our own thing separately, and then you get 5 different samples. Yet there's a common theme running through the fragments, and when you put the samples together, the end product makes sense." Moreno, who is also lead singer of the well-established rock band, the Deftones, adds, "We don't have a topic or story when we're writing songs, but it's the music itself that generates a mood that you fit in and fill with your instrument."

The process is reminiscent of the band's early beginnings – collaborations of a series of cassette tape recordings that were produced on a four-track recorder. "The way we make music makes it hard to be played by a band live, and that's what makes it a different, more energetic experience," Moreno explains. "The best part of what we're doing is bringing these different elements together to make a cohesive song."

Team Sleep's current tour, which is the first in over two years, has been making stops in venues that primarily offer a place for small, intimate shows. Wilkinson is quick to explain the benefits, "When you're playing at a bigger place, most of what you're hearing comes from your monitors, but at smaller venues, you're hearing it through your amp." Moreno, who has just left his seat to take a samosa, chimes in, "It actually sounds like we're playing together."

Among fans, Team Sleep is known for releasing more demos than fully mastered songs. Such unfinished songs are usually released on the band's MySpace, which has become a place for direct interaction with fans. "I don't really put songs on MySpace to get feedback; it's because I love the music and want other people to hear it. And with all the music I've made, it's been successful just sharing what I've liked." A noted musician for his poetic lyrics and innovative musical approach, Moreno has been creating music for more than 10 years. And with two successful bands, one can't help but wonder how he has continued to have the energy. He explains that by breaking his work apart and trying new things, he has been able to continue the momentum and inspiration he has had for both the Deftones and Team Sleep. "I recently took half a year off, and that was the first break I've had in 10 years. There's just always something going on – you have a deadline for a record on this date and tour by that date. For me, the best thing is planning it all out. It's a balance."

After this tour, Team Sleep's next deadline is 2010, which is the hopeful year for the second album's release. The date is so distant that there is an immediate sense of respect for a band that has planned so far in advance. Moreno explains, "It will be the first time that we'll have time to actually sit down and write together. We have a couple of songs that we're playing on tour that we've written together, and they're actually my favorite for that reason – they've been written unlike any other Team Sleep song."

In addition the upcoming album, the band is also planning to release a series of EPs, with the first hopefully making its appearance early next year. "Part of the thing we want to do with these EPs is that we want them to have quality, mastered songs," Wilkinson says. He adds that there are 7 finished songs in addition to tracks featuring guest vocals by Mary Timony and Rob Crow (Pinback). "We had more songs we were planning to put out, but they got leaked, and when that happened, we didn't know what to do." The leak, which took place circa 2002, gave the band a hard hit. "We almost threw in the towel at that point because there was nothing we could do; the record company didn't really care, nobody did," Moreno adds. "I was so happy to play them the new record, but when they said it sounded like crap and that it wasn't radio music, it really bummed me out. I started Team Sleep because it was fun; it wasn't supposed to be mainstream where we were looking to sell millions of records or be featured on posters." The band, defiant of their loss, headed back to the studio and continued to create music. "Playing music was the only thing we could do," Wilkinson explains. "We were on our own, and that's when we realized there wasn't anything anybody could do for us, that we couldn't do on our own. We just needed a guitar, laptop, and a website to give people music." The website Wilkinson is referring to is the band's official website, which, after undergoing construction, will feature all new media, including video content and music.

I notice the buzz of the walkie-talkies on the table and the growing bustle outside the tour bus and take them as a sign that we were nearing the band's time to perform. As I begin to gather my final thoughts and comments, I watch the warm bond between the members of Team Sleep take a new life, making their resilient return and renewed sense of inspiration evident. By combining threads of each member's personal approach to music, they have successfully produced an innovative sound that is sincere to the band's roots. And with a mission as simple as giving music, it was no wonder the Conservatory was packed the night of the show.

This is separate from the article, but more of just conversational stuff that I thought people would like to hear. On the topic of...
The EPs:
- The Mary Timony and Rob Crow songs that were mentioned in the article are songs that have never been released.
- They're looking to put out 2 or 3 EPs, but the band still has yet to sit down and figure everything out. They have a lot of material, but not the mastered songs they're wanting to put out.

The Current Tour:
- The Denver show was their favorite up to the point I spoke with them.
- They aren't planning on extending the current tour whatsoever.
- The next time they're thinking of touring will be around the release of the next album in 2010; they also want to do an international tour.

The 2010 Album:
- No more Rob Crow songs, but they're definitely sure of more guest vocals.
- No decision on the producer.

Deftones:
- Chino said he has been really good about keeping in-touch with Abe and the rest of the guys, even though he's out touring.
- The next record is most likely coming out next fall, with a massive tour in 18 months (this should set the rumor aside that the tour is going to last for 18 months; I think it was a matter of miscommunication).

et cetera:
- Don't get your band merchandise from Hot Topic.
- The 2002 leak was rough on the band, so if a leak comes out, do a favor and don't be an asshole by ruining things for everybody.
- They would love to put their stuff on vinyls instead of CDs.
- Todd mentioned the official website quite a few times, and what he mentioned about it sounds incredibly promising. Get excited.
- Duets with Olivia and John are on the top of the wishlist.
- They (not Olivia and John) would love to ultimately get to a point where they can offer more music for free. Until then, be a winner by supporting the band by buying a few t-shirts.

And on another note, I'd appreciate any feedback on the article, holla.

Zevaka

THANK YOU VERY MUCH for sharing this. my critical review on your article will be later, haha. For what magazine do u work?

Zevaka

It's like you asked everything we wanted, thx!

weakcure

Quote from: Zevaka on Dec 15, 2007, 08:16 AM
THANK YOU VERY MUCH for sharing this. my critical review on your article will be later, haha. For what magazine do u work?

You're welcome; always a pleasure to share good news. I'm actually a writer for my university's paper, nothing too fancy... but fancy enough to let me do good things like this, haha.

tarkil

Full of very nice and useful information, and quite nicely written.
^5

And thanks for the sharing... :)

If ignorance is bliss, then knock the smile off my face.

fallon

great article! and thanks for sharing all that cool info with us.  :)

13hourstoparadise

Good read. Thanks.

Deftones-argentina

My only complaint is that we still don't know the deal with scarf (it's not new guitar man, at all) , but that's my fault for not asking before. Pretty interesting info you retrieved man, truly. thank you.

unfamed

Quote from: Deftones-argentina on Dec 15, 2007, 10:39 PM
My only complaint is that we still don't know the deal with scarf (it's not new guitar man, at all) , but that's my fault for not asking before. Pretty interesting info you retrieved man, truly. thank you.

I think I know what you are refering to; someone said that new guitar is the scarf bitch of the new tour, meaning that its got that same vibe and it was a surprising song that everyone wants a finished version of.
never odd or even

thesongyousang

QuoteDeftones:
- The next record is most likely coming out next fall, with a massive tour in 18 months (this should set the rumor aside that the tour is going to last for 18 months; I think it was a matter of miscommunication).

that doesnt make any sense.

rephrase.

"The Nigger that crime follows, Im hitting fine models
and stabbing punks with broken wine bottles..
I beat chumps til their head splits
then break'em like breadsticks
I sex chicks
I'll even fuck a dead bitch..."

weakcure

Quote from: Deftones-argentina on Dec 15, 2007, 10:39 PM
Aww, yeah, if you had mentioned it earlier, I definitely would have asked.

Quote from: thesongyousang on Dec 16, 2007, 02:56 AM
QuoteDeftones:

that doesnt make any sense.

rephrase.
There was a rumor on this board that Deftones were going to do an 18-month tour, but Chino told me that in 18 months, there will be a tour, so the rumor was probably just a matter of miscommunication.

goldpony

great info and article !
"I bet I could throw a football over those mountains"
"Be like Cyn"
Quote from: Variable on Jun 01, 2008, 12:58 AM
I fucking love Brad Pitt

Nebontha

Thinking of buying the Anti-Jock Team Sleep T-Shirt in Kelly Green.  The one with the design over the band name.  What is that design?  Won't let me zoom in to see what it is...
http://www.merchdirect.com/TeamSleep/Tshirts/Antijock_TShirt?productid=1277
QuoteKKK=Good?

Motherfucking racists.

VictorPL

looks like a bunch of people fighting or dancing around a statue or something like that

buddyboy101

No, no, no!  It's illustrations of a bunch of athletes w/ their faces scratched out.  I have the shirt and it rocks

Starz

I also have that shirt, in red. I am wearing it right now and I'm not wearing anything else.

Nebontha

QuoteKKK=Good?

Motherfucking racists.