Sharing Lungs - Deftones Online Community

Alice in Chains

Started by st3v3n_g, Jan 27, 2008, 01:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

st3v3n_g

^ That site's got some goodies on it.  So does this one - AliceinChains.pl

I'm still warming up to the new singer, William DuVall, but if he can pull off singing songs like Love, Hate, Love (and I have some recordings to prove it), I think they should be able to come out with something at least half as good as Dirt.  I just hope it has more of the AIC sound to it, unlike alot of Jerry's solo work, which don't get me wrong, there's alot of good material to be found there too.  And to the one that said, Tripod is an underrated album.

Edit: Now, who'd like to talk some shop on Mad Season?... ;)

We need a lighthouse for the lost and a beacon for the broken

Jacob

oooh, I love Mad Season. one of my favorite grunge albums.

I saw AiC with William too and I think he did a great job. he managed to move me to tears. of course he's nowhere near Layne Staley, but no one will or can be. and I think I'd rather have some new music from the guys and get another chance to see them live than to just sit and think about how good the band used to be. the new material might suck, but the chances of that happening are pretty slim considering Jerry is an awesome songwriter and all of them are great musicians.

my only fear is that it'll be like a Jerry solo album and not an AiC album, like someone else said.

or that it'll be like when Jane's Addiction reunited for their last album: the feeling is there, the energy is there.... but the production sucks and takes away the soul of the old stuff. Bob Ezrin managed to absolutely slaughter the typical raw live sound of the band and left us with an overproduced mess that sounds more like a remix album.
pray nightfall release me
then i could wander, wander to deep sleep

st3v3n_g

You know it's funny you mention Bob Ezrin, I don't know if it was because of him or not, but I seemed to notice a drastic change in the Deftones sound, comparing s/t to SNW.  And although I think The Wall is a classic, he made Pink Floyd change alot as well, but some of their best songs IMO come from that record...

Anyway yeah Mad Season rocks mah socks.  You gotta check out the 'Live at The Moore - Seattle 04/29/1995' video... the only thing that sucks is they edited it kinda weird and it only shows half the concert (I have an audience bootleg recording of the whole show).  Good show anyhow, though it was no secret by that point that Layne was almost gone... I've read he did try cleaning up even after his girlfriend's death but I guess after a while he just said 'Fuck it.'  Such a waste of awesome talent.

claudio

Quote from: st3v3n_g on Feb 01, 2008, 02:15 PM
Edit: Now, who'd like to talk some shop on Mad Season?... ;)
Mad Season is gold. Above was one of my favourite CDs (and still is). Layne's naked beauty is unrivalled. Its just shit they influenced so many crap bands (Godsmack, Nickleback, Creed etc).

I do think everyone should give William a shot. He's good, but just no Layne:

Someone once said this
[youtube=425,350]8ypHwJ7zCAM[/youtube]
is 100 times better than this
[youtube=425,350]scCxx4fgJwA[/youtube]

It took me a while to stop laughing

I honestly can't see Bob fucking them though. They've got alot to prove to themselves on this album. They are amazing musicians. Mike Inez was the first thought as a replacement for Jason Newstead and has turned them down numerous times.

Jacob

yeah, Bob Ezrin is one of those producers who goes in, changes stuff around, writes new parts for songs and then goes for that "perfect" studio sound. not my cup of tea at all. however, The Wall is one of my favorite albums ever. that's a long time ago though and Roger Waters was still the driving force behind that album.

yeah, I have that Mad Season show on video tape too. it's pretty damn awesome. as far as I remember they play almost every song off of the album (if not all of them). maybe I was lucky to get the whole copy? haha

st3v3n_g

Quote from: aenemic
yeah, I have that Mad Season show on video tape too. it's pretty damn awesome. as far as I remember they play almost every song off of the album (if not all of them). maybe I was lucky to get the whole copy? haha

I'm sorry my man... but I gotta tell ya the truth :
Mad Season - Live at The Moore (Seattle, WA 04-29-1995) [Official Video]
01. Lifeless Dead
02. River of Deceit
03. I Don't Know Anything
04. Long Gone Day
05. X-Ray Mind
06. All Alone
07. November Hotel
(end of show recording / credits)
08. Lifeless Dead (Live from Pearl Jam's Self-Pollution Radio studio '95)  [One of my faves on the vid]
09. River of Deceit (Promo/Single airplay video)
- -
Mad Season - Live at The Moore - Seattle, WA 04-29-1995 (SAME SHOW, ENTIRE SETLIST:)
01. Wake Up
02. Lifeless Dead
03. Artificial Red
04. River of Deceit
05. Don't Wanna Be A Soldier (John Lennon cover)
06. Long Gone Day
07. I'm Above
08. I Don't Know Anything
09. X-Ray Mind
10. All Alone
11. November Hotel

So the official video's missing four songs, so you only get (for whatever the hell reason) like 2/3's of the entire concert, which I suppose I can't complain 'cause we do have it anyway right?.  I have an audience recording of the entire show, it's only 128kbs but it sounds damn good for a bootleg if you're interested.

EDIT: WTF was the person who said Korn Unplugged is better than AIC Unplugged smoking so I can stay away from that shit?

st3v3n_g

"I have an audience recording of the entire show, it's only 128kbs but it sounds damn good for a bootleg if you're interested."
I decided to be a nice guy and just up it for it anyone that reads this and is interested.

(This is the cover of the 'I Don't Know Anything' single, not the same show as the one I'm posting, photo was taken of a show in late '94.)
Mad Season - Live April 29, 1995 Seattle (audio bootleg) (mp3s in a zip file)
Here is a small file of a 50 second sample I made of 'I'm Above' live from this recording, so you can 'preview' it and decide the quality for yourself

Also included in the zip file is the studio version of their cover of John Lennon's song, 'I Don't Wanna Be A Soldier'.  It was featured on the "Working Class Hero - A Tribute to John Lennon" album released in '95.

Enjoy  8)

Deftones-argentina

Quote from: st3v3n_g on Jan 28, 2008, 06:16 PM
Quote from: aenemic on Jan 27, 2008, 08:06 PM
whatever happened with the new AIC anyways? there was talk about recording new music with that new guy, right?
Yes, last I heard (somewhat recently) they are off tour (I missed the show in Tucson  >:() and supposedly working on new material.
But like someone else said about the name AIC, I've seen it from both views - One, yeah they should change the name because they haven't played or hardly recorded anything with their original singer is over 10 years and this is no longer the same band it was when they exploded on the scene in '90 / '91.  Others say just let them be like Queen, keep the name and keep the AIC memory alive...

Deftones-argentina - Hard to say, I love 'em both but I'm gonna give a slight edge to GBA because it seems more like a finished song if you know what I mean.  I was wondering if you've heard one of the other last songs Layne ever recorded, a one-off project called Class of '99 with Tom Morellow, they recorded a pretty sweet sounding cover of Another Brick in the Wall Part 2 for "The Faculty" soundtrack.

I wasn't lucky enough to hear it steve. I bet he did a kick ass show, will try to download the AIC thing you upped in megaU. It's a pitty that megaupload is an ass with sudamerican downloaders.

SO today I discovered the enchanting Social parasite. Wow, they were so good even pre facelift. And I saw more unrealesed songs in the box, like lying season & fear the voices. Are they from the same sesssion as getr born again & died?
one last curiosity; how much different are the non-remixes of the LA hero soundtrack songs?

tarkil

Quote from: st3v3n_g on Feb 03, 2008, 07:14 AM
"I have an audience recording of the entire show, it's only 128kbs but it sounds damn good for a bootleg if you're interested."
I decided to be a nice guy and just up it for it anyone that reads this and is interested.

(This is the cover of the 'I Don't Know Anything' single, not the same show as the one I'm posting, photo was taken of a show in late '94.)
Mad Season - Live April 29, 1995 Seattle (audio bootleg) (mp3s in a zip file)
Here is a small file of a 50 second sample I made of 'I'm Above' live from this recording, so you can 'preview' it and decide the quality for yourself

Also included in the zip file is the studio version of their cover of John Lennon's song, 'I Don't Wanna Be A Soldier'.  It was featured on the "Working Class Hero - A Tribute to John Lennon" album released in '95.

Enjoy  8)

Thanks very much for that.... :)

If ignorance is bliss, then knock the smile off my face.

st3v3n_g

Edit:

Def-Argentina: Actually, it's funny, there's a girl on the AIC.com board that's from Chile that also can't d/l from MegaUpload.  I'm attempting to up it on Mediafire which doesn't always work for me up here in the US (weird huh? haha) so check your pm's if it goes through

moi

could one of you guys upload the mtv unplugged cd please?
thanks a lot

claudio

Quote from: st3v3n_g on Feb 02, 2008, 12:45 AM
EDIT: WTF was the person who said Korn Unplugged is better than AIC Unplugged smoking so I can stay away from that shit?
Do not blame pot for dumbness.

I've got an old pearl jam bootleg with a mad season show on it. its bad quality, but you hear Layne askign someone for a toke of a joint, and then saying "I better not, Jerry might be watching' I thought that was weird cause Mike Inez was the only one that was against drugs in the band

st3v3n_g

^ Did I say anything about pot?  No, I didn't.  I love me some good, home grown dank herbage.  In case you didn't interpret what I was trying to say exactly, I was wondering who in their right mind would think Korn's Unplugged is better than Alice in Chains' Unplugged. 

Again just to state the facts, I love good quality mota, I've smoked for years on and off and if anything, alcohol makes you stupid  8)

Anyway, yeah I used to have that file too but lost it along time ago due to a virus that wiped out at least half my of hard drive's content [about 2 years ago], including most of my collection of music at the time... so I've been rebuilding since then, replacing the old classics and finding new things along the way as well.

Do you think you might be able to upload that track for me?  I want it to be at least 128kbs/44khz [thats how mine was].  Any of these sites will do:

www.sendspace.com
www.mediafire.com
www.megaupload.com
www.rapidshare.com
www.yousendit.com

If you're a big AIC / Layne Staley fan like myself, (and I'm guessing you probably are), I can make it worth your while - I have a lot of old, rare and neat AIC-and-related material  that I could share.  If you want me to type up a list of rare or just plain cool audio and video stuff I have, I can do it on this post or through a PM - I would like to have that Self-Pollution Radio track again.

st3v3n_g

EDIT:  Check this page (thread) for a good quality full-length audio bootleg of AIC live in Osaka, Japan - October 23, 1993  ;)

Quote from: moi on Feb 05, 2008, 11:12 PM
could one of you guys upload the mtv unplugged cd please?
thanks a lot

Alice in Chains - MTV Unplugged 1996

Download (.rar):  http://www.sendspace.com/file/plxzso

claudio

Quote from: st3v3n_g on Feb 16, 2008, 10:14 AM
^ Did I say anything about pot?  No, I didn't.  I love me some good, home grown dank herbage.  In case you didn't interpret what I was trying to say exactly, I was wondering who in their right mind would think Korn's Unplugged is better than Alice in Chains' Unplugged. 
Sorry dude, I was just being sarcastic. Im uploading the Mad Season Jam now. Its one track though. IIt has:
Lifeless Dead
I Don't Know Anything

indychinoluv

Hey, thought I'd bring this thread back to life since their new album is out in a few months.

Is anyone else seriously hyped on this.

[youtube=425,350]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yVYwf3nhNE8[/youtube]

...and you can't fault Dave Ghrol. No other band as the Alice in Chains sound

Jacob

I'm kinda curious, but at the same time I don't think it'll be that awesome. it's not likey they're gonna be able to bring true grunge back or anything.

tarkil

Plus there won't be any Layne Staley voice in there anymore.........

If ignorance is bliss, then knock the smile off my face.

Jacob

Quote from: tarkil on May 11, 2009, 08:54 AM
Plus there won't be any Layne Staley voice in there anymore.........

exactly my point. without him, the guys are just very talented rock musicians. the soul of AiC is gone. and I've been disappointed by reunions and modern albums from old school bands too many times to even bother thinking this could be great.

indychinoluv

Yeah, the core of AIC in chain's sound was Layne's voice. I suppose that's why the got a vocal clone/
I've always felt sorry for the other members though. The pretty much sat around waiting for Layne to get his shit together. They never fired him (even though there was plenty a rumors)