Sharing Lungs - Deftones Online Community

Norma Jean <3 Deftones

Started by bright lights, big city, May 12, 2008, 10:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bright lights, big city

from www.theprp.com
Norma Jean, who are currently in the studio with producer Ross Robinson (Glassjaw, At The Drive-In) recording their new album "The Anti Mother", have revealed that they wrote a few of the albums songs in separate collaborations with Helmet frontman/guitarist Page Hamilton and Deftones frontman Chino Moreno. Band vocalist Cory Brandan had the following to say about the experiences:
"We were able to work with Page and Chino on two separate occasions, and as two of our biggest influences musically, it was definitely a moment having them here in the studio. Page came to our practice space and for the first hour he was just showing us cool guitar chords, teaching us new things technically. The song we wrote with him is heavy as crap and full of energy--you'll notice his influence. For Chino, the writing was more impulsive. We were already in pre-production with Ross, but the song we wrote with Chino came out so diverse and anti-traditional. Chino ended up hanging out for a few days and we wrote two songs with him. Many bands have guest vocalists on their records, but we were inspired by the idea of collaborative songwriting with some of our favorite musicians. In a collaboration, no one is beyond reproach, and there is always something we can learn and someone to learn it from."
"The Anti Mother" is expected out late this summer through Solid State Records.

the normal thing to say is that i never thought Norma Jean would be such big fans of the Deftones, but im not really surprised since fuckin every band that has talent loves the Deftones.
its interesting that we wont hear any Chino on the cd, but as a fan of Norma Jean i'm anticipating their new album even more, now knowing that chino wrote a few songs with them.
DERP

Quote from: rock_n_frost
Bright Lights !..Why the fuck are you so damn awesome? Cant you be a piece of shit sometimes?

ignore the fashion

pretty sweet. i really liked redeemer.

Frankz0r

Everybody loves the tones... who doesn't?

mikau

i've heard only 1 norma song, i liked it. 

bright lights, big city

Quote from: Frankz0r on May 12, 2008, 11:00 PM
yeah seriously, i bet shitty bands like nickelback and hinder dont like them
DERP

Bright Lights !..Why the fuck are you so damn awesome? Cant you be a piece of shit sometimes?

Zevaka

indeed. I don't know any other band that is mentioned so often by other [big] bands

JapaneseAnime

Norma Jean are awesome.One of the few bands at the moment to be inventive with the attitude of hardcore.Really excited to hear what them + Chino sounds like.
Yell if I give you enough rope

fireflyry

Quote from: bright lights, big city on May 12, 2008, 10:28 PM
as a fan of Norma Jean i'm anticipating their new album even more, now knowing that chino wrote a few songs with them.

Personally I'm as excited to hear what Page brings to the album.

I've met lot's of people who have never heard of them but not one that has ever expressed a dislike.

Quote from: tiger modeThats why we're all here. Deftones - common ground.

ToneDef

That's pretty cool.

My girlfriend doesn't like them. She's never heard them but I know she'll hate them. Possibly just because I love them.

dawg

from nj youtube channel!

[youtube=425,350]lr2LguC5I0g[/youtube]

JapaneseAnime

Awesome.Can't wait to hear the finished version,especially if Chino lends some vocals to it.
Yell if I give you enough rope

defskull

Haha Norma Jean are basically writing a Deftones song.  Lame.

Alvar

Quote from: defskull on May 28, 2008, 04:40 PM
Haha Norma Jean are basically writing a Deftones song.  Lame.

their sounds are much too different, i dont think the result will be so easy recognizable to be chino-ish.

unlike, for example, the stuff chino did with dead poetic. the songs he wrote with them were basicaly just mellow deftones songs performed by another band.

but i think here we can expect something more. i really look forward to this, the last norma jean record was damn good.

last.fm/user/z0z0bra
The streets have gone dark. They've been dark for days. We board up the house. Hide upstairs and wait!

Paint Your Lips

Sounds pretty interesting as I'm a huge Deftones fan as well as Norma Jean.  A few days ago I got the Norma Jean  Box set containing their three albums on beautiful vinyl. Gotta love 12"s.

There Will Be Blood

chino plays guitur like a girl

wheresmysnare

i downloaded all the norma jean albums i could find a week or so ago, i like about two songs! like will haven on crack

theshadeisatool

vadimo

'Bless the martyr and kiss the child' album was the best album they have ever done.

anyone even heard of it? most people seem to even not know about this album.

bright lights, big city

DERP

Paint Your Lips

Quote from: vadimo on Jun 11, 2008, 06:52 AM
'Bless the martyr and kiss the child' album was the best album they have ever done.

anyone even heard of it? most people seem to even not know about this album.
Got it when it came out.