Sharing Lungs - Deftones Online Community

Deftones facebook/twitter/myspace/website updates.

Started by beLIEve, May 05, 2009, 11:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rainnyx4

Quote from: Moz on Apr 09, 2010, 10:13 AM
Really, dunno if Shaun is reading this, but the production was good. Imo the song structures and lyrics were a little lazy and that's Deftones fault, not Shaun's. I like SNW, but it's def. my least favourite Deftones record. Although it's true that a lot of producers help in the creative progress of recording a record, I don't think the 'Tones listen to anybody when writing their songs, so really you can't blame Shaun. The production was good man.

Whaaaaaaaaaaaat?  SNW definitely had some of their most ambitious song writing.  I mean, there are some really unorthodox songs on there.  Yeah, they got a little lazy when writing the bridges on a few of the tracks, but it's nothing compared to S/T where they just opted to play the intro/verse riff again in place of a proper bridge on like half of the songs.

Moz

Sorry, I really can't see what's so creative about the record. Same for ST though. Not saying I don't like the records, but compared to the complexity of WP it's very basic imo.

rainnyx4

Quote from: Moz on Apr 09, 2010, 11:00 AM
Sorry, I really can't see what's so creative about the record. Same for ST though. Not saying I don't like the records, but compared to the complexity of WP it's very basic imo.

Well, you mentioned song structures.  The song structures on SNW are probably the most complex stuff they've ever done.  The only ones that are definitely "orthodox" are Cherry Waves and KimDracula.  You could also argue that Beware, Mein, Riviere, and Xerces are predictable as well.  But HITE, Rapture, Konami Code, Rats, Combat, and PCP were definitely pushing the envelope as far as songwriting.  I think SNW gets unfairly shit on.  I'll agree that it doesn't have that "Deftones" sound to it in the production, but the songwriting was some of their best.

While WP will undoubtedly remain to be my favorite album, the songwriting is nowhere near as brainy as SNW.  The thing that made WP so great was that it was so incredibly fresh at the time.  The band had really carved out their own sound with that album.  In my opinion, everything after that is just a variation on the sound they pioneered with WP.

What I'd wish they'd do is really get progressive like they keep claiming will.  They've shown us glimpses of it (especially on SNW) but I'd really like them to continue in that direction of pushing themselves.  I've been listening to DE pretty much non-stop for a couple of weeks now and while I think Chino and Frank have both made huge impressions with this album, I don't find the compositions to be that mindblowing.  I think they wrote it a little too quickly and should have fleshed it out a lot more.

punkflop01

Quote from: rainnyx4 on Apr 09, 2010, 11:31 AM

Well, you mentioned song structures.  The song structures on SNW are probably the most complex stuff they've ever done.  The only ones that are definitely "orthodox" are Cherry Waves and KimDracula.  You could also argue that Beware, Mein, Riviere, and Xerces are predictable as well.  But HITE, Rapture, Konami Code, Rats, Combat, and PCP were definitely pushing the envelope as far as songwriting.  I think SNW gets unfairly shit on.  I'll agree that it doesn't have that "Deftones" sound to it in the production, but the songwriting was some of their best.

While WP will undoubtedly remain to be my favorite album, the songwriting is nowhere near as brainy as SNW.  The thing that made WP so great was that it was so incredibly fresh at the time.  The band had really carved out their own sound with that album.  In my opinion, everything after that is just a variation on the sound they pioneered with WP.

What I'd wish they'd do is really get progressive like they keep claiming will.  They've shown us glimpses of it (especially on SNW) but I'd really like them to continue in that direction of pushing themselves.  I've been listening to DE pretty much non-stop for a couple of weeks now and while I think Chino and Frank have both made huge impressions with this album, I don't find the compositions to be that mindblowing.  I think they wrote it a little too quickly and should have fleshed it out a lot more.

I agree with what you're saying about SNW.  Haven't heard DE so can't really comment on it.  Most of SNW was quite complex...and different (for lack of a better word)...but there is no excuse for Pink Cellphone.  that's just plain bad song writing. 

rainnyx4

Quote from: punkflop01 on Apr 09, 2010, 11:38 AM
Quote from: rainnyx4 on Apr 09, 2010, 11:31 AM

I agree with what you're saying about SNW.  Haven't heard DE so can't really comment on it.  Most of SNW was quite complex...and different (for lack of a better word)...but there is no excuse for Pink Cellphone.  that's just plain bad song writing. 

PCP wouldn't get the hate it does if it weren't for stuff at the end.  If they had that stuff as a little funny secret thing at the end of the album I think it would have gotten a much better reception.  But regardless, PCP is actually one of my favorites off the album.  And I find the vulgar stuff actually adds to the uniqueness of it, furthering my appreciation.

But then again, I'm one of the few on here that criticizes S/T so I don't expect many people to agree with me.

Moz

I actually have the censored version of the record (still looking for the one with bad language) and I miss the stuff at the end of PCP... at least makes it funny

anguria

Quote from: Moz on Apr 09, 2010, 12:23 PM
I actually have the censored version of the record (still looking for the one with bad language) and I miss the stuff at the end of PCP... at least makes it funny
Me too, I miss the dirty part. I think this song was meant to be funny.

sing blue silver

the dirty part ruins the entire album. it just throws the mood they built over 8 or 9 songs out the window.

Penicks

Stop being such an enormous faggot.

Moz

never has there been a lyric from deftones that I can identify with so much.

sing blue silver

Quote from: Penicks on Apr 09, 2010, 03:49 PM
Stop being such an enormous faggot.

i'm sure this helps your case. maybe it's time for some self reflection. calling people faggots on the internet is probably the most faggot-y thing one can do.

Penicks

Okay dude. Are you British? Maybe that's why you're so offended?

nineteenpeoplesnames

We don't really use the term 'Faggots' in Britain that much to be fair.

I really don't understand censored records. It's odd.

jesusinabowlofdirt

i think pen was refering to the bashing of british people part,bad teeth and so on,in the end of pc. but i agree with silver that it is ruining the mood of the whole of the record. i like the drama in deftones music,if i want funny things i can get it from somewhere else, not in def music. deftones seems like a cool funny bunch of people with lots of humour but i appreciate them keeping it out from their records

Moz

still, the lyrics from Chino are serious. Its Annie that puts in the humor. She just started citing a book she was reading and the 'Tones were hearing her recording it and they thought 'WTF?' as well.

jesusinabowlofdirt

Quote from: Moz on Apr 10, 2010, 12:33 PM
still, the lyrics from Chino are serious. Its Annie that puts in the humor.

yep,but  it is deftones/chinos decision to keep it/put it on a deftones record. its not like annie has the final saying

sing blue silver

the song itself i don't mind so much. i mean lucky you, anniversary and teenager are all better songs but just that end part isn't even funny. it's like they all reverted to 6 years old for a bit. poo poo bum fucking foreskin bad british teeth.  it feels like it just comes out of nowhere and serves absoluetly no purpose other than to completely ruin a song that was weak enough to begin with,

deftjess

i put this up, it was on someones twitter, maybe someone will want these.

9 Deftones Albums Vinyl Records
http://wisconsin.freeshopperads.com/collectibles/deftones-vinyl-records.html
Autographed Guitar by Deftones
http://wisconsin.freeshopperads.com/collectibles/deftones-autographed-guitar.html

punkflop01

pony_01

HELP INDONESIA TO VIEW THE DEFTONES LIVE !!
TWIT BOMBING FOR DEFTONES AT 6 AM TOMORROW!

please tweet :
@AdrieSubono @VelvetHammerHQ : PLEASE BRING @Deftonesband ONCE AND FOR ALL! #IndonesiaWantsDeftones!!

THANK YOU VERY FOR HELPING OUR DREAM!