Dredg

Started by Martin, Dec 12, 2009, 10:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Starz

Sushi-X

Probably. Idk, perhaps they will grow on me. Just gotta give it time I guess

Rocket Skates '94

mr.sinister

The vox on that album are fucking angelic.

from_musings

Quote from: Sushi-X on Apr 18, 2011, 04:21 AM
Probably. Idk, perhaps they will grow on me. Just gotta give it time I guess

just so you know.. it's not like you HAVE TO love dredg. that would be stupid

chuckles

well... I really like this band... and all of their previous albums and so... but to be honest.. at first... it was really hard for me to even listen to this album... but now I really dig it... but my girlfriend fell in love with it from first sight... I guess she does believe in love...  :)
I'm a member of Sharing Leaks...

wither-I

i feel a loss. this album is terrible. even for a straight pop record its really bad.

finis

"coming into the nearness of distance"

Menos el Oso

Interview with Gavin
http://reviewrinserepeat.com/interview/dredg/2011-04-27

Lara@RRR: Dredg have a pretty intense fanbase. There are some people across Facebook and YouTube saying that since Catch Without Arms, the band has progressively "gotten worse". Why do you think they hold that opinion and what do you say to these fans who seem to just want El Cielo repeated 3 times over?

Gavin Hayes: It makes me laugh because to me our earlier records are very immature and poorly written. They have a great feeling and innocence to them but we will never recreate those records. They are what they are--a moment in time and in our lives that we decided to document musically. Let's face it....people claim they're progressive but they aren't. Nobody likes change. It scares them. It rattles their boring little comfort zone. I don't get why people want to hear the same thing over and over. I thought being "progressive" meant you actually progress? We don't enjoy listening to prog and never really considered ourselves to fall into that category so it only makes sense we are trying to avoid it.

theis

Hey, Menos el Oso; are you also on the Traversing Board? Someone posted that interview there as well.

I listened to the album again yesterday and I will say that I enjoy it for what it is: a collaboration.

Gavin even mentioned in an interview that this was a collab with Dan and not a 100% dredg album. That's why it sounds like it does.

The fact that he's already said that he wants the next album to be guitar-driven is more than enough to make me calm.

from_musings

i believe if the album had turned out good,then dredg would've gotten all the credit for it no doubt.not much talk by fans that it was a collab.
but when it turned bad then it's a collab and someone else's fault.excuses get made up because dredg is always awesome ^^

Menos el Oso

Quote from: theis on Apr 29, 2011, 07:32 PM
Hey, Menos el Oso; are you also on the Traversing Board? Someone posted that interview there as well.

I listened to the album again yesterday and I will say that I enjoy it for what it is: a collaboration.

Gavin even mentioned in an interview that this was a collab with Dan and not a 100% dredg album. That's why it sounds like it does.

The fact that he's already said that he wants the next album to be guitar-driven is more than enough to make me calm.

Nah, I'm just a lurker on the board, but yea, I got that link from that site.

bewareofrats

Hahaha. 

Gavin Hayes: It has nothing to do with change or comfort zone.  It has to do with the fact that the new album is boring as shit.  It's not interesting in the least.  Boring little comfort zone?  Your new album is what's boring.
Open-minded?  Here's some short videos to challenge your thinking:
http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL3B82C219AC3A6847

Jacob

Quote from: bewareofrats on Apr 30, 2011, 02:54 AM
Hahaha. 

Gavin Hayes: It has nothing to do with change or comfort zone.  It has to do with the fact that the new album is boring as shit.  It's not interesting in the least.  Boring little comfort zone?  Your new album is what's boring.

haha, exactly. Gavin is full of himself. this sounds like poor excuses. there's no hiding the fact that the old material is trying to be progressive and "artsy". immature or not, they've proven over and over that they can't write music nearly as good anymore. or they just don't want to. so if he wants to stick to pop, fine. but making fans of the old material sound like idiots and trying to say they're wrong is pathetic.
pray nightfall release me
then i could wander, wander to deep sleep

from_musings

I think you hit the nail on the head on that one

Starz

Review in RockSound magazine:

"On past form Dredg were never going to be the band that delivered an easy and obvious album but it's a shame to hear a band over-reach from artful and creative landing squarely in terrain occupied by the indulgent and boring. From moments of synthy gloop to pedestrian folk via weird ambient pop, this album creates potentially great moments before cruelly destroying them right in front of the listener. Fans of the band will probably overlook the poor sections and instead focus on the decent lyrics and occasionally strong melodies, but for everyone else out there this is just a disappointment. Plain and simple. [5/10]"

skinnypuppy

Quote from: Jacob on May 02, 2011, 11:07 AM
Hahaha. 

haha, exactly. Gavin is full of himself. this sounds like poor excuses. there's no hiding the fact that the old material is trying to be progressive and "artsy". immature or not, they've proven over and over that they can't write music nearly as good anymore. or they just don't want to. so if he wants to stick to pop, fine. but making fans of the old material sound like idiots and trying to say they're wrong is pathetic.

There's a difference between being full of yourself and defending your artform. 'Progressively worse' is harsh from the interviewer and I'm a big fan of all their material, not just some. I think some people have a hard time accepting new sounds from bands, which is what he's trying to convey.

To reiterate, Gavin is not full of himself :)

mr.sinister

I have met Gavin before and he did not seem self-absorbed or conceited at all. Very nice dude actually.

skinnypuppy

iTunes free track download of "The Thought of Losing You"

http://bit.ly/jHXCfp

skinnypuppy

I seriously cannot express how excited I am for dredg tonight and the new album being out today. Seriously.
anyone going to the roxy shows?

Menos el Oso

Nope. I'll most likely see them when they come to Houston on the 26th. Try go get a pic of the setlist, or remember the songs they played.

bewareofrats

Quote from: skinnypuppy on May 02, 2011, 05:07 PM
Quote from: Jacob on May 02, 2011, 11:07 AM
Hahaha. 

I think some people have a hard time accepting new sounds from bands.

To reiterate, Gavin is not full of himself :)
I don't think he's necessarily full of himself but I don't have a hard time accepting new sounds at all.  That's what I'm saying.  I don't know about other people but I don't think that's the problem for a lot of other fans either.  If the new sounds intrigued me in the least, regardless of how different they were, I'd have no problem saying it.  These new songs though are just boring.  Plain and simple.
Open-minded?  Here's some short videos to challenge your thinking:
http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL3B82C219AC3A6847