Sharing Lungs - Deftones Online Community

Eros

Started by Vesanic, Mar 23, 2010, 01:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Vesanic

In 2008, the band was writing/recording an album with their long-time friend and producer Terry Date. The album would eventually be titled "Eros", and was tentatively set for release on January 2009 (source: Kerrang!). During the sessions, bassist Chi Cheng (RIP) had written on a blog post that one of the songs, called "Trempest", featured the oldschool "fuck you I hope you die" kind of aggression found on earlier Deftones music.

In November 2008, after playing a couple of shows, including two where they played "Melanie" (suspected to appear on "Eros"), Chi had a car crash without wearing a seatbelt. The accident put him in a coma which, despite its evolution and much positive speculation and care, led to his death in 2013, following several infections and one last pneumonia.

Since the accident in 2008, "Eros" was shelved and never touched again. Since then, the band has been asked only too many times what would happen with "Eros", even while promoting the records that followed.

For the latest, in 2020, Chino said it was "halfway done with a lot of vocals missing", Abe said it was halfway finished and they were considering releasing the finished tracks as an EP, Stephen said it was "instrumentally complete".

Below you can find all the material that was made available in relation to the album. Before that, you can watch an almost-complete introduction to the album, made by YouTube user Lie Likes Music
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GAFWxf5Xo50

Artwork used on their website during the album process, suspected to be the actual artwork

In-studio videos, posted on deftones.com as a promotion move
Deftones eros in Studio 2008 clip 1
Deftines eros in studio 2008 Clip 2
Deftones eros in studio 2008 clip 3
Deftones eros in studio 2008 clip 4
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vyH1v7RF5H4

On January 14, 2008, Chino posted a demo called "You've Seen The Butcher" on Deftones' MySpace. The demo has nothing to do with "You've Seen the Butcher" on "Diamond Eyes"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JWU7snh5vCw

Later in 2008, the band played "Melanie" live twice
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8v1vijErZvs
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j4Qo6EK3AaI

On April 13, 2014 (I think, one year after Chi's death), Chino leaked "Smile" on YouTube. This is a reupload of his original upload, which featured the lyrics to the song
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GB0lGKJXFMg

In 2015, a YouTube channel called JG Productions leaked a studio video of the Eros sessions, containing a full audio instrumental rehearsal of one of the songs they were working on at the time. Fans have referred to it as "Dallas" as this song name was in the tentative song titles the band had come up with, however the band never confirmed or denied this song being called "Dallas", it's speculation. This is a reupload
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oKcK0-L_AbA

Here is an extended and EQ'd version of "Dallas", made and provided by YouTube user youwouldknow:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fpfu3NfKNHA

In 2019, the band played "Smile" live
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gRKWcjka7Bw

In 2020, Abe announced the band considered releasing some "Eros" tracks as an EP, while Stephen said it was "instrumentally complete" and Chino said it was "halfway done with lots of vocals missing".

Jacob

it's not too much, but if I sticky it I'll lock the other Eros thread and you may keep the discussion in this thread instead.
pray nightfall release me
then i could wander, wander to deep sleep

Vesanic

EDIT: N/m.

Martin

Just stickied it (too I suppose?)

EDIT: add;

While I agree with not forgetting about 'Eros' and the creation of this topic with everything about it in it, I wouldn't say that, since everyone's about 'Diamond Eyes' it will be forgotten or that no-one gives a crap about 'Eros'.

jesusinabowlofdirt

Quote from: pissedandpierced on Oct 11, 2007, 11:54 PM
A friend of mine in Sacramento messaged me the following information regarding the new album, this is what he has heard about it:

"The new album will have longer songs, think 6 minutes or more, guitar solos, even more synth/keys/fx from Frank, lyrically will be more straightforward rather than cryptic, there will be more complex song structures, more guitar from chino, and faster drums (more double bass). Chi got a 6 string bass he's using on most songs and a fretless 5 string. Steph is using a new custom 8 string baritone guitar. Chino is using a lot of FX on his guitar parts so it doesn't even really sound like guitar that much.

do you loooove it?

Hidalgo

where's the fake studio clip of Chino sleeping, the waking up for a sec to eat pizza before nodding back off. that was hilarious

and i do wanna hear EROS, but it's not gonna happen for a long ass time i'm afraid. there was a studio pic that look like Stef was finger tapping, that got my attention, along with the music at the start of each clip. Chino only finished half the vocals, so he won't finish those until after all their touring for DE if we're lucky, which could be close to 2 years, but he likes to chill and live a normal life after tour so he might not get to the vocals even then, and if chi's not awake they might just start another album with sergio. basically, i'm not gonna bother worrying about EROS, when i believe it at leasr 3 years away from release, if ever

i'm just really impressed they made 2 records as quick as they did, especially DE, they started it in june 09 right? and we already have it in well under a year, and it's a great album. badass. they should continue doing things that way

Jacob

the thing is that even if Chi has a full recovery and rejoins the band (as we all hope he does), there's no saying he would want to go back to this material. they may very well all agree to start over on something completely new with him back. the Eros material might bring back too much memories of the time of the accident or something.

I'm hopeful that we'll get a couple of the Eros songs as b-sides or bonus tracks to future releases, but that's about it.
pray nightfall release me
then i could wander, wander to deep sleep

Vesanic

Quote from: Martin on Mar 23, 2010, 02:05 PM
I wouldn't say that, since everyone's about 'Diamond Eyes' it will be forgotten or that no-one gives a crap about 'Eros'.

Agreed, but Jacob said he couldn't believe that people were still talking about Eros now that we have Diamond Eyes, that deftones fans are never satisfied, etc.

Hidalgo

my guess is if they decide to never finish it they'll leak it. so it'd be like the ezrin demos

Far away

Quote from: Jacob on Mar 23, 2010, 03:47 PM
the thing is that even if Chi has a full recovery and rejoins the band (as we all hope he does), there's no saying he would want to go back to this material. they may very well all agree to start over on something completely new with him back. the Eros material might bring back too much memories of the time of the accident or something.

I'm hopeful that we'll get a couple of the Eros songs as b-sides or bonus tracks to future releases, but that's about it.

this..

TheShade1989

I wanna hear Eros, but only because it's unheard Deftones stuff, so of course. I'm satisfied with Diamond Eyes too much to be craving new music already. I get the feeling I wont like Eros as much though. I like the whole dark/weird kind of thing, but I'm not so much into the heavier or more agressive stuff. I like it more than I used to, but still not all that much. So I'd probably only like about half the songs on it if that were the case. I think it'll be quite a long wait for Eros though.

Sushi-X

Why does Chino compare every new album to white pony? Lol

Rocket Skates '94

jesusinabowlofdirt

Quote from: MxKnife on Mar 23, 2010, 05:31 PM

1.3 million copies sold in the us only. thats why. its like "buy our new record when it drops - it is as good as the one we sold the most of". he just wants anotehr cash cow

E-Money

I'd love to hear Eros one day.  But I'd like them to wait until Chi wakes up, which I'm sure they will.  But for now Im kicking it pretty hard with Diamond Eyes.  Eros isn't even finished....

Sushi-X

He doesn't even get that much money from physical sales though.
Anyways if he wanted to sell records he should say it reminds him of nickelback or U2. They'll be fuckin huge then.

Rocket Skates '94

janie13

to be honest, i really don't even want to think about Eros right now, only because if i think about it then i will be waiting a long time.  i'd rather just focus on what they are doing now and i am happy with it.  

i agree with Jacob that Eros is a long way away and that maybe Chi won't want to go back to it after he makes a full recovery. i know through my own experience with working on material before an illness, that i couldn't go back to it after i got better.  it was just too much.  

jesusinabowlofdirt

Quote from: MxKnife on Mar 23, 2010, 05:51 PM
He doesn't even get that much money from physical sales though.
Anyways if he wanted to sell records he should say it reminds him of nickelback or U2. They'll be fuckin huge then.

hehe right.. "hey our next album sound like lady ga ga, its good man, buy it!" anyway, it would be a stupid move to say it sounds like their most unsuccelful album like snw which sold like 4 copies. just saying

Vesanic

Quote from: MxKnife on Mar 23, 2010, 05:31 PM

Because White Pony is and will always be his favorite work. Even though he says that about every record he's written.

jesusinabowlofdirt

Quote from: janie13 on Mar 23, 2010, 05:52 PM
to be honest, i really don't even want to think about Eros right now, only because if i think about it then i will be waiting a long time.  i'd rather just focus on what they are doing now and i am happy with it.  

i agree with Jacob that Eros is a long way away and that maybe Chi won't want to go back to it after he makes a full recovery. i know through my own experience with working on material before an illness, that i couldn't go back to it after i got better.  it was just too much.  

everyone wants something to look forward to.. and eros will get very mysterious... like an unfound treasure everybody wants...
"the chase is better than the catch" sort of

Sushi-X

Lol i'm just saying. Have the ignorant masses buy it cuz they think it sounds like some popular artist and BAM! It's  Deftones' own sound

Rocket Skates '94