Sharing Lungs - Deftones Online Community

Props to Nick Raskulinecz

Started by Moz, May 09, 2010, 05:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Moz

Seriously. Diamond Eyes has the best production since Around the Fur. Not even WP was this clean. Now that I listen to the actual cd, you can hear each individual instrument so clear.

Excellent work!

Subliminal

I still think White Pony is one of the most perfect mixes ever produced. Diamond Eyes is sonically greater than the last two albums for sure, but WP, man that's THE album you have to hear by Deftones if you could only pick one.

This is clearly Frank's album though, he shines through the most.

Moz

I do love the production of WP, but it sure as hell isn't as clean as DE - but that's ok, the gritty echoing sound fits like a glove on WP.

I agree that if you had to give someone one record to make them understand Deftones sound, it should be WP though.

Just wanted to share that I'm highly impressed by the production. ST was very muddled but it kinda fit with it as well, SNW was a step in the right direction but still not perfect imo - some songs like Rapture were a little messy.

nineteen

It seems like Nick  produces albums that are very thick and layered.

stoneFeD

i dont see how people do not notice frank on previous albums....he does shine on this one  much brighter i can say, but he fucks shit up on the previous 5 albums...for sure

Vesanic

Quote from: stoneFeD on May 09, 2010, 09:19 PM
i dont see how people do not notice frank on previous albums....he does shine on this one  much brighter i can say, but he fucks shit up on the previous 5 albums...for sure

Fuckin' amen to that, man. On the S/T, he found a subtle but still explicit sound. The samples on Hexagram, the breakdown on WGTB, the mood sounds of Deathblow, etc. I think the S/T is the album that contains the best sexual act between Frank's sound and the other members' sound.

Moz

haha I love Frank's work on Rapture. That spooky tune at the end... goddamn

snw9

Quote from: Moz on May 09, 2010, 09:48 PM
haha I love Frank's work on Rapture. That spooky tune at the end... goddamn

well said and not only the spooky tune but the stuff before the spooky tune...just mind blowing.
Code: [Select]

Deftones-argentina

Quote from: Moz on May 09, 2010, 06:08 PM
Some songs like Rapture were a little messy.

i agree, the mix on rapture is one of the worst deftones mixes ever. the chorus just doesn't sound as big as it should. Some good sonic arrangements, though.

Shadow46/2

I still can't figure out where the samples are on Hexagram. I just don't hear it. *shrug*

Speak of the devil, and he shall appear.

Hesperian Death-Horse!

Long, ethereal, drawn out notes that sing below the main riff in the verse. Very difficult to notice on record but very audible when they play live.

buddyboy101

Quote from: Hesperian Death-Horse! on May 10, 2010, 05:39 AM
Long, ethereal, drawn out notes that sing below the main riff in the verse. Very difficult to notice on record but very audible when they play live.

I think it's pretty obvious on the recording as well.   It almost sounds like synthetic choir vocals.  For instance, check out and 00:14-00:16 00:28-00:31 of "Hexagram".  Also, I never noticed there are two guitar parts during the verse until now (the prominent jangily lead and the fuzzed out rhythm)

Starz

Production wise is very good but I think the album would have sounded cohesively better if Chris Lord-Alge mixed the whole thing. There is quite a difference from the song 'Diamond Eyes' (the only song CLA mixed) going into 'Royal'. At least my ears can hear it anyway...