Sharing Lungs - Deftones Online Community

Leathers Cover

Started by afxwinter, Sep 24, 2012, 12:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

afxwinter

Hey guys I've been really digging the new track and have been messing around with doing a possible full cover. The only issue is I can't sing anywhere close to Chino's style so I'm not sure if I should bother doing the whole thing in my own style.
Some feedback would be awesome!

http://soundcloud.com/afxwinter/afxwinter-leathers-rough-mix-1

buddyboy101

I like your vox, keep running with it!  And awesome scream!  Guitar doesn't sound right during the verse - too punchy, not enough swing. 

Slacker

im diggin the instrumentation on the chorus, not so much the bridge (or pre.chorus). about the vocals, i  would just leave it instrumental, you're way low.

DeftonesNZ

Quote from: Slacker on Sep 24, 2012, 01:01 AM
im diggin the instumentation on the chorus, not so much the bridge (or pre.chorus). about the vocals, i  would just leave it instrumental, you're way low.
Yea I like your voice and screams but they just don't suit the song too low.

Vesanic

Sounds more Deftones-ish with those low vocals! Almost sounds like Hum. Great job, unexpected!

Caín

Quote from: Vesanic on Sep 24, 2012, 09:50 AM
Sounds more Deftones-ish with those low vocals! Almost sounds like Hum. Great job, unexpected!

Oh Ves, never change.  Gotta love ya.

Vesanic

Hahahaha, oh, Caín. I should start collecting these.

bewareofrats

If that sounds more like Deftones then I don't want to listen to Deftones.  No offense, but I found those vocals pretty scary.
Open-minded?  Here's some short videos to challenge your thinking:
http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL3B82C219AC3A6847

There Will Be Blood

bewareofrats

Chino's scream is better, but a good scream nonetheless.

afxwinter

Quote from: buddyboy101 on Sep 24, 2012, 12:32 AM
I like your vox, keep running with it!  And awesome scream!  Guitar doesn't sound right during the verse - too punchy, not enough swing.
Thank you!
Maybe I'm palm muting too hard and it needs to be a little looser.  I'll try to listen harder for what sort of rhythm he's got going on for that part next time I get a chance.
Quote from: DeftonesNZ on Sep 24, 2012, 02:42 AM
Quote from: Slacker on Sep 24, 2012, 01:01 AM
im diggin the instumentation on the chorus, not so much the bridge (or pre.chorus). about the vocals, i  would just leave it instrumental, you're way low.
Yea I like your voice and screams but they just don't suit the song too low.
Thanks, yeah I was a bit worried the song would lose some energy an octave lower on the vocs.  I may give it another shot because I'm happy with the scream and parts of the vocs, just not everything as a whole.
Thanks man, that's a big compliment.  Hum kicks ass!   8)
Quote from: bewareofrats on Sep 26, 2012, 03:37 AM
If that sounds more like Deftones then I don't want to listen to Deftones.  No offense, but I found those vocals pretty scary.
Lol my fiance said the same thing about the scary vocals.  I find the lyrics are pretty dark so I may have taken it a bit too far there.
Quote from: There Will Be Blood on Sep 26, 2012, 03:43 AM
nice scream
Thx dude!

from_musings

the scream was dope. i think it would be cool to hear chino sing the chorus lower like this

kitesvera

Id say if we were close by, you should let me record the vocals. I've been told by many that I can match Chino very well. And I mean, the dude taught me to sing, he's my favorite singer, and Deftones are my favorite band EVER.

from_musings

Quote from: kitesvera on Sep 26, 2012, 05:15 PM
I've been told by many that I can match Chino very well.

ok cool... but before you soak it all in, maybe they were referring to conan show chino, or music in high places chino?

dictatesofreason

afxwinter

So, I think we've established my vocs are mediocre at best.   ;)
How do you guys feel about the guitar and bass tone and drums, along with the mix in general?
I tried going for an ultra-thick bass heavy mix for this.

downtownpony

They are decent considering you most likely did everything yourself in a home studio setting.

bewareofrats

I think the music is quite good.